Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2004 Season

Featured Replies

Just stop the idiocy...please. Injury free STILL didn't make him a better pitcher.

 

and its PAVANO.

Beckett and Carl Milano both have endured injuries. So has AJ. All three are regarded by the front office as better than Redman. You are entitled to your opinion. In this case, it is wrong. Milano is better than Redman. The front office says so. The playoffs said so. The fact that Milano throws in the mid 90s and Red can't reach 88 is more proof. Oliver is close to an even trade off with Redman. For a lot less money. These are the facts. :hat The champ

The fact is that you are totally wrong. I cannot site any more evidence.

Because you don't have ANY shred of evidence. Milano is better. Look, both Carl Milano and Red were 5th year arb eligible. Both were going to make about 3.8 mil. The Marlins made their call, they traded Red, kept Milano. Milano's postseason and second half performances swayed them. Milano has a higher upside, throws harder. Is clearly better. You lose this debate in a blowout. This is a ridiculous mismatch of facts. Accept defeat graciously. :hat The champ

Defeat? Which part do you not get, the part with Redman having a better era or the fact you spelt "Pavano" wrong and refuse to admit you're an idiot.

There's no question that Redman was better last year. Pavano's postseason heroics,which aren't included in the accompaning set of stats, aren't enough to warp the numbers if we did.

 

ERA+ (league and ballparks factored in)

Carl Pavano Mark Redman

2003 94 - 112

Career high 152 - 112

Career 93 - 104

 

Now looking at that I'd want Redman as he's consistently better. But Pavano is two years younger that has actually shown great promise. And Unless Redman is a freak he's bound to succumb to injury soon. He has been abused for the past two years (#14 in Baseball Prospectus' pitcher abuses points in '02, and #3 in '03) I think it was a financially sound move to not resign him, a 'small-market' team doesn't need millionaires on the DL.

okay, that's a fair and balanced assessment. however, pavano is mr. injury himself. If you worry about kevin brown on the yankees, you have to worry about pavano, who's short career is full of injury.

 

And to the other guy: I don't want to be mean to the guy, but he has said "milano" in 5 posts and has not admitted he was wrong.

okay, that's a fair and balanced assessment. however, pavano is mr. injury himself. If you worry about kevin brown on the yankees, you have to worry about pavano, who's short career is full of injury.

 

And to the other guy: I don't want to be mean to the guy, but he has said "milano" in 5 posts and has not admitted he was wrong.

Carl Milano was a postseason hero. Mark Redman was a postseason goat. Red wears down. Milano keeps improving. Why the love affair with Red? He is gone and won't be missed. :hat The champ

okay, that's a fair and balanced assessment. however, pavano is mr. injury himself. If you worry about kevin brown on the yankees, you have to worry about pavano, who's short career is full of injury.

 

And to the other guy: I don't want to be mean to the guy, but he has said "milano" in 5 posts and has not admitted he was wrong.

He is, after all, going out with Alyssa Milano.

okay, that's a fair and balanced assessment. however, pavano is mr. injury himself. If you worry about kevin brown on the yankees, you have to worry about pavano, who's short career is full of injury.

 

And to the other guy: I don't want to be mean to the guy, but he has said "milano" in 5 posts and has not admitted he was wrong.

He is, after all, going out with Alyssa Milano. thanks for actually knowing the facts inquiring minds what to know. Yes Carl Milano is living a Charmed life right now. And yes, Carl Milano is showing great improvements. Big year expected for Milano. :hat The champ

He is, after all, going out with Alyssa Milano.

Yeah, so your last name changes...right

 

Pavano had a better postseason, yes, but that's it. I would bet money Redman has a better season next year than Pavano when adjusted for ballpark effects.

He is, after all, going out with Alyssa Milano.

Yeah, so your last name changes...right

 

Pavano had a better postseason, yes, but that's it. I would bet money Redman has a better season next year than Pavano when adjusted for ballpark effects. why the love affair with a soft tosser like Redman? The Marlins front office, as I accurately and succinctly stated numerous times, decided on Milano over Redman. They made that call based on talent because the money was about the same. So you know more than the FO? You know more than a FO that won a World Series with a 53 mil payroll that beat a team with a 160-plus mil payroll? Did you NOT watch the second half of the season, the final month and see how Carl Milano was clearly better than Redman? Did you watch the second game of the World Series? Did you see Redman give up a 3 run HR to Matsui on a 3 and 0 pitch? Did you see Redman in game 7 of the NLCS give up a HR to Kerry Wood, blowing a 3-zip lead. Then Red gives up a 2 run HR to Alou. I guess your television was on the blink. Did you see Carl Milano stick it to the Yankees in game 4 in Roger Clemens' so called last game? Did you see Milano save the division series at San Francisco, getting out of a bases loaded mess left by Helling when the Giants were about to blow the game open and take a 2-zip lead in games. Milano steps in, gets Alfonzo and Santiago to pop out. CLUTCH. So go ahead and use meaningless stats from 2000 when Milano was hurt and say Red is better. You are in the dark on this one. :hat The champ

He is, after all, going out with Alyssa Milano.

Yeah, so your last name changes...right

 

Pavano had a better postseason, yes, but that's it. I would bet money Redman has a better season next year than Pavano when adjusted for ballpark effects. I never said it does, but the guy has a justification for calling him Carl Milano if he feels compelled enough. Hell I call one of my friends by his girlfriend's name because he's so damn whipped over her.

He is, after all, going out with Alyssa Milano.

Yeah, so your last name changes...right

 

Pavano had a better postseason, yes, but that's it. I would bet money Redman has a better season next year than Pavano when adjusted for ballpark effects. I never said it does, but the guy has a justification for calling him Carl Milano if he feels compelled enough. Hell I call one of my friends by his girlfriend's name because he's so damn whipped over her. exactly. Tell me that Pav has the upper hand in this relationship? Alyssa is more popular, makes much more $$$ and is the bigger star. It's Carl Milano til proven otherwise. :hat The champ

I never said it does, but the guy has a justification for calling him Carl Milano if he feels compelled enough. Hell I call one of my friends by his girlfriend's name because he's so damn whipped over her.

My friend Matt is a bit of a whip. However, I'm not going to call him his girlfriend's last name. Furthermore, what sort of evidence that Milano is whipping Pavano?

 

Looks like no one wants to put their money where their mouth is...

He is, after all, going out with Alyssa Milano.

Yeah, so your last name changes...right

 

Pavano had a better postseason, yes, but that's it. I would bet money Redman has a better season next year than Pavano when adjusted for ballpark effects. why the love affair with a soft tosser like Redman? The Marlins front office, as I accurately and succinctly stated numerous times, decided on Milano over Redman. They made that call based on talent because the money was about the same. So you know more than the FO? You know more than a FO that won a World Series with a 53 mil payroll that beat a team with a 160-plus mil payroll? Did you NOT watch the second half of the season, the final month and see how Carl Milano was clearly better than Redman? Did you watch the second game of the World Series? Did you see Redman give up a 3 run HR to Matsui on a 3 and 0 pitch? Did you see Redman in game 7 of the NLCS give up a HR to Kerry Wood, blowing a 3-zip lead. Then Red gives up a 2 run HR to Alou. I guess your television was on the blink. Did you see Carl Milano stick it to the Yankees in game 4 in Roger Clemens' so called last game? Did you see Milano save the division series at San Francisco, getting out of a bases loaded mess left by Helling when the Giants were about to blow the game open and take a 2-zip lead in games. Milano steps in, gets Alfonzo and Santiago to pop out. CLUTCH. So go ahead and use meaningless stats from 2000 when Milano was hurt and say Red is better. You are in the dark on this one. :hat The champ Hmm. I'll give you this one repeatin. Pavano was clutch in the playoffs while Redman faded. It was clear to everyone that big Red was the one pitcher on the chopping block.

why the love affair with a soft tosser like Redman? The Marlins front office, as I accurately and succinctly stated numerous times, decided on Milano over Redman. They made that call based on talent because the money was about the same. So you know more than the FO? You know more than a FO that won a World Series with a 53 mil payroll that beat a team with a 160-plus mil payroll? Did you NOT watch the second half of the season, the final month and see how Carl Milano was clearly better than Redman? Did you watch the second game of the World Series? Did you see Redman give up a 3 run HR to Matsui on a 3 and 0 pitch? Did you see Redman in game 7 of the NLCS give up a HR to Kerry Wood, blowing a 3-zip lead. Then Red gives up a 2 run HR to Alou. I guess your television was on the blink. Did you see Carl Milano stick it to the Yankees in game 4 in Roger Clemens' so called last game? Did you see Milano save the division series at San Francisco, getting out of a bases loaded mess left by Helling when the Giants were about to blow the game open and take a 2-zip lead in games. Milano steps in, gets Alfonzo and Santiago to pop out. CLUTCH. So go ahead and use meaningless stats from 2000 when Milano was hurt and say Red is better. You are in the dark on this one. :hat The champ

I already quoted every stat indicating the Redman in his totality is a better pitcher. I can easily quote games where Pavano sucked balls and label him an anti-clutch. One postseason really doesn't prove anything.

 

The rest of your soft tosser bashing, yankee payroll bashing, and inconsequential BS is just stupid. Champion of the Champ :hat

I already quoted every stat indicating the Redman in his totality is a better pitcher. I can easily quote games where Pavano sucked balls and label him an anti-clutch. One postseason really doesn't prove anything.

 

The rest of your soft tosser bashing, yankee payroll bashing, and inconsequential BS is just stupid. Champion of the Champ :hat

Stats are good to look at, but there comes a time where you just have to look past them. If we looked at who had better stats, we should have signed Rickey Henderson, because his stats are really good.

I, personally, think that the Marlins FO made a good decision with keeping Pavano over Redman.

Rickey henderson is worth a spring trainign invite in my honest opinion.

 

So this season, when Pavano does obviously worse than redman, are you going to "look past the stats" again? So does when looking past the stats stop, when Pavano exceeds Redman? That's ridiculous.

But Rickey Henderson has good career stats, why not sign him?

 

Now in all seriousness, the game of baseball isn't played on paper. If it were, the Yankees would have beaten the Marlins in the WS last year.

I'm accepting of the fact that Redman does have career stats better than Pavano, but I trust the Marlins FO with the decision they made. And if Redman does have a better season than Pavano, then I'll admit that they made a mistake. But I'm not going to let stats alone dictate who we keep and who we don't.

Henederson at a .448 obp away from LA. He's definitely worth an invite, I wouldn't mind having him in AAA as a back up.

 

And Aside from career stats, Redman was clearly better last year as well.

 

When the season ends we will see, but I doubt I will be wrong, because Redman has been consistantly better.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.