What's Your Take On Transgender Individuals?

SorianoFanHFW

I'm not a doctor or a psychologist, so I really don't know.

I'm not sure if you guys heard of this, but it is a while ago:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNew...ange010422.html

San Francisco became the first body of government to help pay for sex changes. In some governments, the national healthcare system pays for your sex change free of charge. What's your take on this?

I beleive that transgender individuals have a mental illness. It is one thing to be homosexual, but it is another to want to alter your body. Psychologically, do these people hate themselves and so they seek to permantly physically alter their body as a result? If this is a psychological problem, should a responsible government give these people psychological help instead of putting them under the knife?

All I know is this. There are bigger health problems out there that the government should pay for. Furthermore, I would like to say I have nothing personally against transgender individuals any more than people with psychological problems like depression and so on. However, it appears that wanting to be a different gender is purly psychological and it shouldn't be dealt with in a surgical manner.

Opinions?

i wouldnt compare wanting to switch sexes to depression. I'd compare it to SEVERE depression. I mean, it's one thing (and wierd at that) to constantly wish you were of the opposite sex. It's another to actually spend the money (or have the govt spend money) to have your penis taken off, and a vagina added in. I'm not gonna beat around the bush: that's disgusting.

i wouldnt compare wanting to switch sexes to depression. I'd compare it to SEVERE depression. I mean, it's one thing (and wierd at that) to constantly wish you were of the opposite sex. It's another to actually spend the money (or have the govt spend money) to have your penis taken off, and a vagina added in. I'm not gonna beat around the bush: that's disgusting.

agreed

Sparks underwent surgery to become a woman last year in Thailand because she couldn?t afford it in the United States. She?s paid about $30,000 since she began making her transition in 1997, but will still be able to enjoy the city?s benefits, which would kick in July 1.

Sparks said she hopes San Francisco?s adoption of transgender benefits sends a message to other municipalities that all employees need to be treated equally. She also hopes insurance companies will begin extending similar benefits to private employers.

Fat. f***ing. Chance. At least give some clinical data that show this surgery is needed besides "they're really really sad."

But hey, that's San Francisco. It's like Vegas or New Orleans. If you could change it to resemble Anytown, USA, would you? Do we want a nation full of Phoenixes, Louisvilles or (God help me) Jacksonvilles?