Everything posted by gofish
-
Where Can I Find A Large Florida Marlins Logo?
If you want a variety of Marlins logos, go to www.chriscreamer.com One place with 1-2 large Marlins logos is www.logoshak.com Happy hunting and Go Marlins!
-
things you would like to forget
Things I'd like to forget? Nothing. It all worked out in the end. There were a few things that at the time looked horrible. The bad start, the awful game in Boston, being down 3-1 to the Cubs. But in the end it all worked out. And thank God for these bad things. If the Marlins were around the .500 mark after 50-60 games, Jack McKeon probably would never have seen the Marlins dugout and we probably wouldn't be talking about the Fish defending this year. We would be talking about how the Marlins could improve on their 81-81 record. Attendance would have remained flat and there would be even less support for a new stadium. Coming back 3-1 against the Cubs probably gave the Marlins more confidence against the Yankees than probably sweeping the Cubs or beating them 4 games to 2 would have. As long as things work out in the end, maybe those things we think we'd like to forget weren't so bad after all.
-
will we get a stadium?
I'm having a little trouble understanding why anyone thinks that my comments above bashes the stadium plan. The question was "will we get a stadium?" I stated that I thought that a deal would not be done by March 15. I also stated that since funds are hard to come by, that maybe the Marlins should back off of their desire for a retractable roof. How does this bash the stadium plan? Also, sorry but I'm not a Cubs fan, Yankees fan, politician or whatever. Why am I any less of a fan because I don't want to hand someone several hundred million? Maybe I have different opinion regarding the role of government and the use of tax dollars than some (most?) of you, but that doesn't make me any less of a Marlins fan.
-
Have a chance?
Yes. Pitching is the key. The talent is there. Will Burnett be okay? Will we see the Beckett we saw in the playoffs for the whole season this year? Will Willis have a sophomore slump? The bullpen? On paper, it looks very, very good. I'd be happy with the wild card again. Seems to bring us good luck every October. I'm very excited about the season. It also feels a lot better this time than in 1998.
-
will we get a stadium?
Not sure about a new stadium, but I'm 99.9% sure it won't happen by March 15. For it to even happen at all, I think the Fish have to back off of their desire for a roof. I know they could use one, but is the constant threat of rain worth an extra $100 million or more? Maybe, but not when you are having trouble just coming up with the necessary funds for even a bare-bones stadium. :marlins
-
The Ides of March
I strongly disagree that stadiums should be subsidized with general tax dollars. The return for the city won't even come close to what will be spent to construct the stadium. If stadiums were so lucrative, team owners would build them. If a stadium is built, then sure some restaurants and hotels may benefit, but what's in it for the average person in Miami-Dade County? Tourist related taxes for a stadium are okay. That said, if restaurants and hotels want to kick in their funds, then let them. No to property or any other general taxes. At what point do we draw the line when it comes to subsidizing private business? If I wanted to open a business in Miami, should I expect the city to construct an office building for me at little or no cost? I don't think so. I also would not expect the general public to subsidize various entertainment options for me. I have no desire to watch a symphony or ballet and would not want to pay for that either and I shouldn't be expected to be. Let Loria and Marlins fans pay for the stadium. I'd be willing to pay a stadium construction surcharge added to the price of a ticket. I'm sure Loria would object, stating that he would need such funds for payroll. As I stated before, I love the Marlins as much as anyone. Just because I don't want to subsidize a stadium doesn't make me any less of a fan. Maybe I'm a taxpayer first and a Marlins fan second. Maybe I see a fairly new Miami Arena sitting vacant while a new hoops and a new hockey arena are filled with fans disguised as empty seats. I hope a combination of Marlins funds, tourist taxes, naming rights, ticket surcharges, tax incremental financing, and other similar sources can be pieced together to finance a stadium. Let's support the team, but not give up the store and everything else. Maybe I'm willing to let the Marlins move away based on principle, but so be it. Go Marlins!!!!!!!!!! Note to upstatenyfishfan: Yes my previous post was my first. So what. Yes I'm new here. You were new at one time too.
-
The Ides of March
I love the Marlins as much as anyone else, but I don't believe that general tax dollars should be used to subsidize a private business, especially one owned by a multimillionaire who employs multimillionaires. Tourist related taxes are okay with me. At least the Miami area gets promoted around the country every day in the standings and every night on Baseball Tonight. This at least has some connection with prmoting Miami and bringing tourists to the area. But I strobgly believe that no general tax funds should be used for a stadium. If that means we lose the Marlins, so be it.