The Ides of March

Heckeroo

I love the Marlins as much as anyone else, but I don't believe that general tax dollars should be used to subsidize a private business, especially one owned by a multimillionaire who employs multimillionaires. Tourist related taxes are okay with me. At least the Miami area gets promoted around the country every day in the standings and every night on Baseball Tonight. This at least has some connection with prmoting Miami and bringing tourists to the area. But I strobgly believe that no general tax funds should be used for a stadium. If that means we lose the Marlins, so be it.

I love the Marlins as much as anyone else, but I don't believe that general tax dollars should be used to subsidize a private business, especially one owned by a multimillionaire who employs multimillionaires. Tourist related taxes are okay with me. At least the Miami area gets promoted around the country every day in the standings and every night on Baseball Tonight. This at least has some connection with prmoting Miami and bringing tourists to the area. But I strobgly believe that no general tax funds should be used for a stadium. If that means we lose the Marlins, so be it.

Well, Jeffrey Loria isn't exactly the richest owner in sports. Not to mention he is losing $20 Million year-by-year.

Well, Jeffrey Loria isn't exactly the richest owner in sports. Not to mention he is losing $20 Million year-by-year. yeh that sucks....I wish he had more $$$

I love the Marlins as much as anyone else, but I don't believe that general tax dollars should be used to subsidize a private business, especially one owned by a multimillionaire who employs multimillionaires.? Tourist related taxes are okay with me.? At least the Miami area gets promoted around the country every day in the standings and every night on Baseball Tonight.? This at least has some connection with prmoting Miami and bringing tourists to the area.? But I strobgly believe that no general tax funds should be used for a stadium.? If that means we lose the Marlins, so be it.

Well, Jeffrey Loria isn't exactly the richest owner in sports. Not to mention he is losing $20 Million year-by-year. yeh that sucks....I wish he had more $$$ So does he.

I love the Marlins as much as anyone else, but I don't believe that general tax dollars should be used to subsidize a private business, especially one owned by a multimillionaire who employs multimillionaires.? Tourist related taxes are okay with me.? At least the Miami area gets promoted around the country every day in the standings and every night on Baseball Tonight.? This at least has some connection with prmoting Miami and bringing tourists to the area.? But I strobgly believe that no general tax funds should be used for a stadium.? If that means we lose the Marlins, so be it.

Well, Jeffrey Loria isn't exactly the richest owner in sports. Not to mention he is losing $20 Million year-by-year. yeh that sucks....I wish he had more $$$ So does he. why do you think he sucks

Well, Jeffrey Loria isn't exactly the richest owner in sports. Not to mention he is losing $20 Million year-by-year. yeh that sucks....I wish he had more $$$ So does he. why do you think he sucks I believe he was responding to the part about wishing he had more money, not that he sucks :banghead

Hopefully the city and the team can come up with something soon. With less than a month away, the window of opportunity is rapidly approaching this team. And the sad part is if Jeff Loria doesn't get a stadium, he will have no other choice but to go elsewhere.

I swear, it seems like just about every team in baseball is getting a stadium when they really need it whether it be San Diego or San Fran or Seattle or wherever. But in this stinking city, we can't get anything anything going because there is always some person right there to stop it in its tracks. :mad :

The quiet is a good sign for me. I'm guardedly optomistic, but I don't think March 15th means no Marlins in South Florida, it just means no more in Miami. It seems to me that Samson (at least the way he talked during the Q&A during fan-fest) is resolved to keeping the Marlins in FLA, now that doesn't necessarily mean Miami, but he said that Broward and Palm Beach are options.

March 15th is only a deadline because that's when they lose the $73 mil from Miami, but that's chump-change compared to what needs to be done for the rest of the deal.

The quiet is a good sign for me. I'm guardedly optomistic, but I don't think March 15th means no Marlins in South Florida, it just means no more in Miami. It seems to me that Samson (at least the way he talked during the Q&A during fan-fest) is resolved to keeping the Marlins in FLA, now that doesn't necessarily mean Miami, but he said that Broward and Palm Beach are options.

March 15th is only a deadline because that's when they lose the $73 mil from Miami, but that's chump-change compared to what needs to be done for the rest of the deal.

well, the 73 millions is around 20% of what is needed for the project and also the only real cash on the table at this time, with the Marlins only commiting future revenues at this time.

Gofish, stadiums should be subsidized because cities make money off of the stadiums. Each concession a percentage goes to the city. Its simple economics my friend, if the Marlins go Miami will lose money that people spend in dade county. For example yankees fan flies down to miami to watch the world series. Chances are he doesnt stay near pro player but stays near downtown. So the hotels benefit, and oh yah there is a city tax on hotel rooms, not to mention his flight to miami also has city taxes or some kind of tax. then he goes out to eat every night he is in miami. Bussiness do better and they pay tax. So you see its quite simple the more money the city of miami spends the more money they will make. Thats kind of the idea behind the public works progams of the depression. Ok i spent way to much time on this.

well, the 73 millions is around 20% of what is needed for the project and also the only real cash on the table at this time, with the Marlins only commiting future revenues at this time. Right, I understand that, but it's not as if Miami is going to build the stadium for them and they're holding out for more, there is very little on the table from the city itself, and there isn't really a good solution out there from Miami that is going to solve the financing woes. I don't see any way the Marlins remain in Miami if all they're getting is $73 million.

The quiet is a good sign for me.? I'm guardedly optomistic, but I don't think March 15th means no Marlins in South Florida, it just means no more in Miami.? It seems to me that Samson (at least the way he talked during the Q&A during fan-fest) is resolved to keeping the Marlins in FLA, now that doesn't necessarily mean Miami, but he said that Broward and Palm Beach are options.

well, the 73 millions is around 20% of what is needed for the project and also the only real cash on the table at this time, with the Marlins only commiting future revenues at this time. Right, I understand that, but it's not as if Miami is going to build the stadium for them and they're holding out for more, there is very little on the table from the city itself, and there isn't really a good solution out there from Miami that is going to solve the financing woes. I don't see any way the Marlins remain in Miami if all they're getting is $73 million.

The City of Miami is offering zero money to build a stadium for the Fish, only land on what would be the worst site for baseball anywhere in America. The city expects the county and Marlins to foot the bill. The $73 million referenced above is county-controlled $$$ and has nothing to do with the City of Miami.

The city's offer is nothing more than a cruel hoax.