Everything posted by Hammerhead
-
Dan Straily to Fish
• Though the Marlins believe Straily will give up fewer homers because he’s going from a hitter friendly park (Cincinnati) to a pitcher friendly park, he allowed more on the road (18, 4.70 ERA) than at home (13, 2.90 ERA). http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article128212439.html Honestly if this is what we were basing our hopes on how do we obviously not even look at the stats? Jesus. The guy was so lucky to do what he did last year. And we just kept offering them better prospects for him. Unreal. Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article128212439.html#storylink=cpy
-
All Star Game Costs
Very true. Must be for both.
-
Royals GM called Marlins president after news of Ventura's death
Crazy how Marte's last MLB game was vs Yordano. Eerily familiar and equally horrible to four months ago.
-
All Star Game Costs
"For the strip" told me for one If it's for both, yeah, not bad
-
All Star Game Costs
For one? Shit. There's strips on StubHub for $400 in bullpen reserved
-
Marlins interested in Mark Reynolds and Chris Carter
We would very likely start JT at 1B vs LHP.
-
Dan Straily to Fish
[uSER=5078]@pollyvonwog[/uSER], I did you the courtesy of reading your article and understanding your points. Please do me the same courtesy?
-
Dan Straily to Fish
I'll admit that he is capable of holding down a league average ERA. Anything more I'll be surprised with. Does that make him an MLB starter? I guess. But not a great one
-
Dan Straily to Fish
Oh I don't think Straily doesn't know how to pitch. I just think his stuff isn't good enough to hold down the stats he did last year. Again I hope I'm wrong
-
Dan Straily to Fish
Oh don't even get me started on Castillo for area
-
Dan Straily to Fish
Doubt it. I don't love every minor leaguer over guys we trade for. You don't see me complaining we lost Isaiah White or even Brice who I think could be decent.
-
Dan Straily to Fish
Still weren't above average pitches for him as a whole. Read your article and it's a fine point that he made adjustments that helped him. He needed to after a pretty dismal first half. Im not rooting against the guy or anything like that. I really hope you are right and I'm wrong about him. I just hate losing a guy like a Castillo for a bigger question mark. Hell, they're not even committing to him as a rotation member right now. Wouldn't it be a bitch if he lost out to Locke and started in AAA?
-
Dan Straily to Fish
Look at his pitch values. He only has two plus pitches. A semi decent fastball at 3.0 and a really good slider at 13.9. So if you think a two pitch pitcher can succeed as a starter, sure he's good
-
Dan Straily to Fish
I think we agree his homer totals will go down. Where I am skeptical is the batted ball stats. Anyone who posts a line drive rating and hard contact rating as high as he did can't seriously be counted on to post a ERA lower than 4 to 4.5. The batted ball stats prove he is not missing bats, adjustments aside. He also gets in tons of trouble with walks which suggests bad command. If we would've given up Brice and maybe Dillon Peters for this guy I wouldn't be nearly as spiteful. But to lose our best starter above A who is damn close to being ready rather than just going with Locke until he is here (and there is absolutely no denying Castillo already has better stuff than Straily, just needs to command it) makes this trade stupid
-
Dan Straily to Fish
The one thing he's good at, getting fly balls. As I've said the Marlins hope he gives up less homers in a bigger park. Yeah he was victimized a bit by GABP. But you can't discount the fact the defense helped him. His control isn't good as I've said. His walk rate proves it. He doesn't miss barrels as proven by his contact rates. His BABIP and BAA are not sustainable even with the best defense behind him. Also last year was his first in the NL so more reports will be circling this year. Being a contact pitcher or fly ball pitcher is fine but if you're gonna do that you need to also be able to pitch to your situation and get ground balls which Straily doesn't do and strike guys out which he doesn't do. If I had to make an educated guess, he will never post a BABIP that low again. And he won't post another ERA under four. That's what we gave up our best pitching prospect above single A for. Not to mention another decent swing guy.
-
Dan Straily to Fish
Seriously look at the numbers. The Reds led the NL and were third in baseball in saving runs due to good fielding plays with 10 runs saved. They were also 6th in the NL in ultimate zone rating and one Def rating (my favorite defensive stat). Yeah they made a bunch of errors but only lost 6.5 runs to them. There's a reason they also led baseball in FIP. Because their pitchers including Straily could be blamed for most of their runs. So again he got helped by a decent defense thus his extremely low BABIP and BAA that aren't sustainable with a guy of his skill level Hopefully I'm not the only one who sees this
-
Dan Straily to Fish
Seriously Admin he has a CAREER 2.4 WAR partial seasons included. Where did you see that he ever at any point he a 4.3?
-
Dan Straily to Fish
What caliber? As I've already laid out he isn't a good pitcher. He was fortunate to hold down the ERA he did last year as he gave up the most homers in baseball and one of the worst hard contact ratings. He just killed it when it came to bABIP. That's the only reason he had the stats he did. For that you can thank the guys around him not him himself. And we gave up two near ready pitchers for him i would've been completely fine going into 2017 with Locke the back end starter if it meant keeping Castillo and watching him come up mid season which he very well could and potentially become one of our better pitching assets which he could. Yeah he's 25 in AA but this guy is going to by himself make this one of the more unfortunate trades in recent memory.
-
Dan Straily to Fish
When did he have a 4.3 WAR? It was 1.2 last year, aka not good.
-
Dan Straily to Fish
[No message]
-
Dan Straily to Fish
First of all I never said Scruggs SHOULD be an every day player I said he should be a platoon partner and given a chance to play in the OF because of the prospect of trading Ozuna. Second of all this guy had a 4.88 FIP last year. He doesn't strike guys out, his control isn't good proven by his huge walk ratio and he gave up hard contact 32% of the time last year, 11th worst among NL starters and a 19.5 LD%, 23rd worst which proves he wasn't missing barrels but somehow managing to get it to be hit right at fielders. Looking at all of those numbers it proves that Straily didn't really prove that he can pitch in the majors (and he definitely didn't in any of his other MLB seasons) rather that he was very fortunate. I guess the hope for the Marlins who of course wait to the 11th hour to make a trade for bottom of the barrel talent while giving up some of their better pitching prospects is that part of his struggles were GABP caused and that Marlins Park will help him get his homer total in check. But that's tons to hope for and again give up some of your best pitching talent to get
-
Dan Straily to Fish
11th highest walk rate too at 9.2%
-
Dan Straily to Fish
Castillo already has better control than Eovaldi and his career 1.4 WHIP. His only problem is command which he improved a lot last year. He could contribute to the majors as early as this year. On top of him we lose Brice who is a solid swing man type. Just baffled how a team hurting for starters traded away two of its better pitching prospects for a AAAA type.
-
Dan Straily to Fish
How can you say that about a guy who is still developing? His arsenal is nothing like Eovaldi's. He has much better control and his fastball actually moves. That's a terrible comparison
-
Dan Straily to Fish
Losing a quality arm and a future 2-3 starter in Castillo. Potential triple digit heat and an awesome changeup with great contr improving command. Brice is probably destined for the pen but still a quality piece. All for a guy who was a AAAA pitcher until he had a decent year this year. Wayyyyyy too much