Today's ballpark news is interesting.

CapeFish

The big news of the day is the Marlins are willing to go without the roof in the new ballpark. I think this is a good idea and would probably put the Marlins less than $20 million and a site to build on short for fruition on the new ballpark.

I have three questions for everyone now:

1) Do we really need a roof?

2) Do you think it will happen now?

3) Do you like PNC Park in Pittsburgh? :whistle

The big news of the day is the Marlins are willing to go without the roof in the new ballpark. I think this is a good idea and would probably put the Marlins less than $20 million and a site to build on short for fruition on the new ballpark.

I have three questions for everyone now:

1) Do we really need a roof?

2) Do you think it will happen now?

3) Do you like PNC Park in Pittsburgh? :whistle

PNC park is a ripoff of SBC Park

I think the priorities should be as follows:

1) get a stadium deal

2) location

3) roof

The stadium needs to be built first for this franchise to have a future. A premium location is very important, but a stadium needs to be built. I think there are a lot of interesting options to choose from for the stadium. The roof can always be added on. The example I like to use, in terms of stadium improvement, is our own humble Doak Campbell here at FSU. As the program grew, so did the stadium. There is no reason why the Marlins could not build a stadium and gradually invest extra revenue into their own facility. This makes fiscal sense anyway.

I just hope this gets done, and I think that the Marlins are budging on the roof means that this is closer to actually getting pushed through. I dont like the tone from Loria though - it seems more of frustration than confidence. But that is how these things go, up and down.

Guest Moneyball

the sarticle in the miami herald says:"Marlins president David Samson said Monday it is "very possible" the team could start building a stadium with the money it has availible, and worry about adding a roof at a later date.....but that idea is not on the table right now said Samson, but everything would be considered."

Question: If the stadium is supposedly being built in North Dade what happened to the money from that group "Friends of the Marlins"?

This is good news it looks like the Marlins do want to try to keep the team down here if this happens.

I would rather not have a roof. I love PNC in Pittsburgh. It's small, and it's a pretty simple layout...Would love to have something like that DT...traffic was so bad leaving the game today, it would be great to be able to jump on Metrorail...

Yeah, something like they have at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. I usually go to a couple of Cards games every summer and the MetroLink is a great way to get to the game. Really speeds things up. And its cheap.

I think Downtown Miami may happen with a smaller, outdoor ballpark because it takes less space than the retractable roof park.

The Orange Bowl site gets better because it wouldn't require as much space and therefore not need the expensive eminent domain Samson didn't want to engage in.

I think Downtown Miami may happen with a smaller, outdoor ballpark because it takes less space than the retractable roof park.

The Orange Bowl site gets better because it wouldn't require as much space and therefore not need the expensive eminent domain Samson didn't want to engage in.

Respectfully Cape, I think you're wrong on the OB eminent domain thing. In fact the OB would require a significant amount of takings (which would take years and be big bucks). There simply is no parking left after shoe-horning two field onto the OB site.

What's really on the table right now is a deal with the devil, er Wayne regarding the south lot. Personally I was hoping for the east lot.

My real preference is a retro-fitted PPS owned by county and leased to both the Dolphins and Marlins on a seasonal basis.

The County owns all those parking lots on the main PPS site and could use them if needed. The Dolphins can't say anything as long as they get paid for new parking.

Wayne has a long term lease on all the land surrounding PPS or owns it outright, except for one lot south of 199th and east of 27th.

The County owns all those parking lots on the main PPS site and could use them if needed. The Dolphins can't say anything as long as they get paid for new parking.

Wayne has a long term lease on all the land surrounding PPS or owns it outright, except for one lot south of 199th and east of 27th. yes, but the county can use eminent domain on what is needed if he doesn't cooperate.

Guest Moneyball

There was talk of moving the OB bowl over, that may be new information.

what do you mean "moving the OB over''?

what happened to the money from " friends of the marlins"? they should consider investing their money if the stadium is in North Dade.

i need info

I suggested PPS area a while back and everyone blasted me for it, but yeah the roof can always come later. Just have to build to make sure the possibility of a roof can be put on, but can they do that in one offseason though?