Wow I hate Montreal a lot more

Flamarlins3

This just in: David Samson is not very tall.

You'd think the articulate former Expos president would have come up with a brilliant comeback to that one by now, given how old that story is.

But the Marlins president opened his mouth, and the usual tripe came gushing out.

So while the Marlins and Expos, linked as they are by mutual losing seasons, common coaches, and common players, got along just fine, the so-called rivalry between the two teams was being stoked by Samson, abetted by Robinson, and even responded to by Expos president Tony Tavares yesterday.

"It is the height of unprofessionalism. It is the exact example of how baseball should not be played," Samson whined about the two times Expos prospect Josh Karp unintentionally hit Marlins third-baseman Mike Lowell during an exhibition game last week.

Admittedly, the big edge went to the Expos over the Marlins in the hit-by-pitch department last season, 12-4, with the most memorable the errant Hector Almonte fastball that broke Lowell's hand Aug. 31.

But from an erratic Almonte, to a nervous Karp, to this?

"What the Expos have done consistently over the past year and a half is throw at our guys," Samson drawled.

"We have made the league aware and the Expos are on notice that we will not accept that anymore."

At least he didn't say the Expos are on a short leash.

When a reporter left that door wide open Monday, Robinson walked right through it. "Has (Samson) ever played baseball?" the manager asked.

The answer: "Have you ever seen him? What do you think?"

"Wait a minute, now," Robinson said. "Bill Veeck had a guy like that."

Veeck was the man who brought Eddie Gaedel to the St. Louis Browns in 1951 for a publicity stunt. Robinson didn't say Samson was short; he implied he was a midget.

"To the extent that Frank, on the record, would choose to comment on my height - I find that to be unfortunate in the first instance and rather pathetic in the last," Samson trilled.

A better riposte, of course, would have been this: "I'm flattered a two-league MVP, first-ballot Hall of Famer, a true legend like Frank Robinson, actually knows who I am well enough to look down on me."

Or this, with all credit due to Patrick Roy: "I didn't hear him. Jeffrey and I's World Series rings are blocking my ears."

Instead, this: "If I were an umpire, I would absolutely warn the Expos immediately. There's no reason to warn us. We never hit anybody. ... This is some sort of one-man head-hunt. Everything starts at the top."

That last statement probably provoked Tavares to respond.

"Mr. Samson's initial comments regarding this situation are at best an emotional and reckless response. His most recent comments, at their worst, can be viewed as threatening and inflammatory," the Expos president said in a statement, adding that Robinson, who had been hit 198 times during his playing career, has never ordered one of his pitchers to hit a player, something Robinson himself has stressed.

"While Mr. Samson's comments might serve some purpose off the field of play, they serve no useful purpose on the field of play. ... I suggest we move on and simply play baseball," Tavares said.

"I'm not surprised by it. I'm not bothered by it. I'm not going to spend a lot of time commenting on it," Robinson said. "If (Samson) needs an apology, he'll be waiting a long time. He's going to try to tell me how to run my ball club? Let him take care of business with the Marlins."

You would think Samson would have bigger fish to fry than this lame attempt at standing tall for his players, like, perhaps, trying to get that elusive new stadium built, or even showing off his museum-piece ring.

The tape of the spring-training game Samson overnighted to the league offices has drawn no response a week later. Yesterday's game was not played under umpire's warning, as Marlins' manager Jack McKeon expected.

The players don't need Samson's meddling. They can handle it themselves inside the lines - a place Samson is familiar with only to the extent that he embarrassed himself on the hallowed grounds of Yankee Stadium, after the Marlins' win last October.

That he thinks it's all about him only served to divert some of the focus away from the big event yesterday, Opening Day for the world champions before a huge crowd that won' t be back tonight for Game 2 - even if Samson overnights the videotape to the league offices.

I can't believe that was printed esepecially the last few lines. Does the writer not realize that the Expos get LESS people than the marlins do. i Agree to a point, but insulting the man's height. Come on now. Are we in 1st grade here?

Once again, Samson needs to STFU!

From sealed envelopes contaning predictions to involving himself in onfield developments that are none of his business, nor concern, this is ridiculous.

I can't think of one positive benefit Samson brings to the organization on a PR level. Not one. So, once again, why doesn't Loria cut his allowance in half and serve him up a big ol glass of STFU!!!!

Once again, Samson needs to STFU!

From sealed envelopes contaning predictions to involving himself in onfield developments that are none of his business, nor concern, this is ridiculous.

I can't think of one positive benefit Samson brings to the organization on a PR level. Not one. So, once again, why doesn't Loria cut his allowance in half and serve him up a big ol glass of STFU!!!!

Yea, I agree. He should probably take more of a back seat here and let our team do the talking. Nevertheless, that's an extremely slanted piece of journalism.

It's a column, so the context is a little tongue-in-cheek. Besides, what would you expect the media's reaction to be after Samson stoked the fires like that.

If the roles were reversed and Shurholtz or some executive from another team accused the Fish of throwing at them you'd be all pissed off too.

They can handle it themselves inside the lines - a place Samson is familiar with only to the extent that he embarrassed himself on the hallowed grounds of Yankee Stadium, after the Marlins' win last October.

how did Samson embarass himself at Yankee Stadium? I mean if winning there is an embarassment, I guess we're guilty but other than that we didn't do anything there...

Agreed, Samson should focus his attention towards the stadium. But I don't see why he can't take time to register a complaint to the league office if he feels his and his boss/step-father's million-dollar investments are being threatened. Other front offices frequently criticize other organizations and register their complaints with the central office.

Also don't pay mind to the Montreal press. They try to pin all the mess Canuck owners have driven the Expos into for the past two dozen years on Loria's two-year ownership.

i guess this is as good a time as any to get this off my chest.

samson embarrasses the entire organization.

this organization has a look of unprofessionalism i don't think i've ever seen in any sports team. you have your team president--supposedly the stately spokesman--going around insulting everyone and making a complete fool of himself in public. you have him cursing out agents (scott boras) during contract negotiations and publicly talking about how certain teams won't ever "sniff .500" (the rockies). you have him getting totally trashed in the locker room with the players, and then making drunken comments on TV for channel 7.

you have him ineptly bungling the entire stadium situation with the state legislature, the local government, and the media... the guy can't even put together a half-assed legislative lobbying plan. you have him making a whole spectrum of revolting what-the-hell kind of remarks every week in the press. you have this terrible PR backlash from the entire community coupled with no sort of damage control from the team. hell, i can't even stand this damn organization sometimes.

it's as if the guy is completely unqualified to even be in a position of executive power.

any other team president would be out of a job by now...

I LOVE Loria as an owner.

Samson is seriously flawed however. What drunken comments did he make? Was it funny?

it was either after we clinched the wild card, won the NLDS, or won the NLCS...

he was in the dugout making retarded statements to steve shapiro.

he took the microphone and started pointing at the camera as if he were a wrestler... it almost looked like it was out of the WWE. "I'M DAVID SAMSON and I WAS RIGHT blah blah blah." he was just hollering about how he was right all along at the beginning of the season when nobody believed him, and then he starts talking about how he and loria and beinfest are the greatest. then he talks about how shapiro told him at the beginning of the season that he didn't think the marlins would do very well this season.

he was basically pointing at the camera and at steve and talking really loud and boastfully. oh, and he cackled--kinda like the sort of annoying cackling laugh you'd hear in a haunted house.