What did the Phillies add this off-season?

Libelula

I don't get why everyone says they're better/stronger than us when all I remember them adding was Wagner, Milton, and Worrell.

A.J. Burnett and Darren Oliver >>> Mark Redman. We're getting A.J. back after not having him 95% of last year. Darren Oliver had 13 wins last season compared to Redman's 14. Redman was also trash in the play-offs.

Benitez, Perisho, and Wayne have the potential to be better than Looper,Urbina, Tejera, and Almanza. Benitez is 5 for 5 in saves and Perisho is 2-0. Even though it's only been 2 batters, they were in pressure situations which is something Tejera and Almanza couldn't handle. Wayne is expected to do a lot for this team too. He was pretty bad last season but 2 years ago he was decent.

Hee Seop Choi and Will Cordero also have the potential to be better than Derrek Lee. We'll miss Derrek's 'D' but I'm pretty sure Choi will be better in a little bit. And if one get's tired/goes into a slump/get's injured, we always have the other. Choi is gonna be huge this year and he's already showed it.

We got rid of Juan Encarnacion but that won't even matter because Cabrera and Conine for the whole year 0wn Juan Encarnacion. I don't even have to argue because everyone knows it's true.

We got rid of Pudge but Castro can match him in homers and the combo of Castro/Redmond can equal his RBI's. Castro and Redmond have already shown that could call good games and the only downgrade is the throwing. Red and Castro will have to prove it to everyone that they can throw out runners.

Not only all that, but we expect to have Beckett and Willis all year too! I don't get it!

The best kept catching secret is Mike Redmond.

1) He calls the best game in Marlins catching history.

2) He stops balls more than Pudge, CJ, Benito, and Castro.

3) Redmond is the catcher all our pitchers prefer.

4) Redmond is a clutch player.

5) Redmond is a team player, he took a pay cut to stay.

6) He is the longest tenured Marlins.

the last one about Castro and Pudge isnt too accurate.

Ramon will be a great catcher when he gets the chance to prove it, but please dont say he is close to being like Pudge.

Thats just disrespect, but over all you are pretty accurate.

Much closer. Pudge did nothing from June until the playoffs (otherwise known as the months we were winning). Anyone who performs league-average all year long will be able to match his performance last year.

Much closer. Pudge did nothing from June until the playoffs (otherwise known as the months we were winning). Anyone who performs league-average all year long will be able to match his performance last year.

I think that's actually backwards. Pudge didn't do much early in the season, through May. He's average dropped below .250 at one point.

He his .367 in June and .376 in July. His OPS in June was 1.059 and it was 1.051 in July. His power numbers dropped in August and September and he did very little in September overall.

There was a while there when Pudge carried us with his clutch hitting.

I don't like the way he left us either, but you can't minimize what Pudge did for this team. And saying that Redmond and Castro are close to Pudge isn't close to accurate in my opinion.

We're still a good team, maybe the best in the league. It's okay to admit we are a little weaker on the field at a couple of positions.

He his .367 in June and .376 in July. His OPS in June was 1.059 and it was 1.051 in July. His power numbers dropped in August and September and he did very little in September overall.

There was a while there when Pudge carried us with his clutch hitting.

I don't like the way he left us either, but you can't minimize what Pudge did for this team. And saying that Redmond and Castro are close to Pudge isn't close to accurate in my opinion.

You're right. Pudge dropped off around the All-Star break, not June.

And Pudge's tendency to ground into double plays, and a number of FC's also hurt our rallies.

I respect Pudge as an excellent defensive catcher. He has an arm that no one else can match, but when it comes to pitching-calling and hitting he's very overrated. He's a impatient groundball high-average hitter, much like Luis Castillo but without nearly the many tools. His team mates and media have said that Pudge regularly misses pitcher-catcher meetings, and does not pay much attention when he does attend.

I said before in defense of Pudge that we'll miss his arm and presence that made opposing teams scared to run on pitching staff. With the young staff with long windups I think we're going to get burned if Castro and Redmond can't step up. But Redmond and Castro combined are every bit as good as Pudge was last year when it comes to hitting the ball, performing 'in the clutch' and handling the pitching staff. Once you get past the names Pudge is not a top catcher anymore. If you value pitch-calling and offensive abilities over a strong arm and ability to make highlight reel plays Pudge is in no way a top 5 catcher and very close to the Redmond/Castro platoon.

Pudge's presence was a safety blanket for our pitchers last year, but now they know they're good; they don't need a cheer-leader back there anymore. Pudge brought intensity on the field, but Redmond is unlike any other player the Marlins have had. He's the guy that started the "Here Come the Fish" movement a few years ago, and he is the embodiment of a team player. Castro will be good in time, but Redmond is huge for us; best backup in baseball, however, I'm worried if we have to rely on him for over 100 games.

can anyone actually say something bad about Redmond?

I think we should all get together and have the RED TEAL CLUB ... in honor of Red

Andy Fox ran the bases quick than him on a regular homerun than Redmond ran an inside the park home run. lol

But I agree this guy is well liked by the players, and he really is not that bad either. We were spoiled by a big name like pudge.

Pudge's presence was a safety blanket for our pitchers last year, but now they know they're good; they don't need a cheer-leader back there anymore. Pudge brought intensity on the field, but Redmond is unlike any other player the Marlins have had. He's the guy that started the "Here Come the Fish" movement a few years ago, and he is the embodiment of a team player. Castro will be good in time, but Redmond is huge for us; best backup in baseball, however, I'm worried if we have to rely on him for over 100 games.

red is just a great guy that brings intensity to the clubhouse. plus he really enjoys playing ball and doesnt do it for the money. those kinds of players are great

id rather have him than pudge (less cash, high average, team player)