Word has it that FSN Florida is up for sale...

CapeFish

...would like to buy it.

Reports I have been given say that Comcast is in negotiations with Rainbow Media (owner of FSN Florida, Bay Area, New England, and Chicago) to acquire those 4 channels.

Chicago's 4 teams (Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, and Blackhawks) have already signed a deal with Comcast, and the Florida (Marlins, Panthers, and Devil Rays), Bay Area (Giants, A's, Warriors, Sharks, and Earthquakes), and New England (Celtics, Sun, and Revolution) teams could sign similar revenue and ownership agreements with Comcast.

There would be satellite and cable coverage similar to how Comcast runs it's Mid-Atlantic Sports Network because that is the only way the channels could be distributed.

Comcast recently signed a deal with all these channels for long term carriage, but they could take the next step.

Stay tuned!

you would see little difference in your teams coverage of games.

the difference would be in the other shows...

such as Best Damn Sports Show

Beyone the Glory

etc

no clue what the Comcast stations show in that regard.

Comcast would add a nightly sports show and more coverage of the local teams off the field.

The 3 major players in regional TV sports are:

Fox (owns FSN West, Southwest, Arizona, South, North, Rocky Mountain, Sunshine Network, etc.)

Rainbow (owns MSG, FSN NY, FSN FL, FSN Bay Area, FSN New England, FSN Ohio, FSN Chicago)

Comcast (owns CSN Philly, CSN Chicago, and CSN Mid-Atlantic)

Rainbow has let the channel fall because of cost cutting measures, but Comcast would give it some life like they have done

Would this mean anything for me cape?

getting to that.

Yes, Comcast and Time Warner/Advanced Cable/Bright House are very friendly and would be able to control costs on this channel and possibly work out a deal for Comcast to take over Bright House in Florida or at least get this channel on in Central Florida.

No one would lose the channel, but many would gain it. Coverage would be much improved and some FSN may move to Sunshine.

Ask those who are Phillies or Orioles fans how Comcast covers their teams.

Would this mean anything for me cape?

getting to that.

Yes, Comcast and Time Warner/Advanced Cable/Bright House are very friendly and would be able to control costs on this channel and possibly work out a deal for Comcast to take over Bright House in Florida or at least get this channel on in Central Florida.

No one would lose the channel, but many would gain it. Coverage would be much improved and some FSN may move to Sunshine.

Ask those who are Phillies or Orioles fans how Comcast covers their teams. Cool, keep me updated.

Comcast owns what used to be called Home Team Sports and FSN Mid-Atlantic. They show the Best Damn Sports Show, Late Night Poker, Beyond the Glory, and other FSN programs and their nationally broadcasted games ACC Sunday Nights and Pac-10 late nights.

Their coverage is really good. The highlight/news show has regularly features on local colleges and high schools (that may not be the case for Comcast Florida having to cover such a large area). They also had a diary type show, sorta like ESPN's The Season, on area college sports teams. I don't know if that was a FSN presentation, the narrator sounded a lot like the one who does Beyond the Glory, but the Penn State basketball series was superb.

There wasn't much change in the on-air personalities, but then again Home Team Sports was pretty well established in the area before its partnership with FSN or Comcast.

I live in northern virginia and Comcast does a pretty good job with the O's, Wiz, and Caps. The nightly sports show itself is not very good, but it does give highlights in depth of the local teams and show interviews that most stations in DC don't have time to show.

Yeah I get Comcast at my house in SW Virginia. They broadcast to a large area.

I'm up here in Boston watching Comcast and their local sports show was on last night.

The only word I can use is "competent". Nothing flashy, a step above local access but on the whole acceptable.

Better than what we have now in Florida.

FSN Florida cancelled it's nightly sports report because corporate cut the budget.

Sunshine cut it's Nextel Florida Sports Tonight because corporate thought it was too inconsistent and cost too much.

This was 2 years ago.

Cape,

would they still be on DTV?

/end dumb question.

More than likely because the channels current deals stick and the channel's infrastructure is on satellite and Comcast will not go through the expense to replace it with fiber and microwave so DirecTV and Dish will probably continue to carry it along with the cable companies.

Many were worried when Comcast bought HTS of this happening but Comcast has behaved well.

In Philly where they have the PRISM microwave and fiber system...dishes are not allowed.

Cape in your opinion, if this happens will it happen soon or is this deal a long way down the road?

Depends how much Comcast pays for the channel. They will demand a good price from Bright House, but more reasonable and negotiate from the same perspective.

If Bright House can make it happen in Tampa Bay, why not Central Florida?

This is great news for us up here in Tallahassee. Our cable carrier is Comcast. For some reason, they have never put FSN on any of their services - but we do get Sunshine (which is totally useless nowadays unless you love the Magic or Lightning). Getting FSN would be great because Comcast would carry it and maybe I would get to see games on my cable service...of course, there are those pesky D Rays. I dont know why one team goes to Sunshine and the other go to FSN. Same with Magic and Heat...Lightning and Panthers...but I suppose this limits the competition for money from TV.