Explanation from FSN on no TV in PR

CapeFish

By Joe Capozzi, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, April 16, 2004

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- While Marlins starters swept the Expos without allowing a run, Fox Sports Net tossed a shutout to fans in South Florida hoping to watch the historic games.

As part of a decision made before the season, Fox Sports Net decided to include the three-game series in San Juan among the 12 Marlins games that will not be televised this year.

In September, FSN televised all three Marlins games in San Juan because of the historical value of the games being played outside the United States.

"Last year, we used local crews and facilities and the production facilities were inferior, they were substandard. We got by," General Manager Jeff Gempfner said.

To televise this year's San Juan games, he said "we'd have had to ship our own trucks crews and technical equipment. It would have been very, very expensive."

Of the Marlins' 162 games this season, 150 will be televised -- 95 via FSN and 55 on PAX.

"People can second-guess which games we didn't do but we'll do 150 out of 162 games. That's pretty above average compared to other teams around the league," Gempfner said.

I am very annoyed with them. 80% of the time they show Devil Rays games anyway. Lets see... show the defending World Series Champs, or a team who finished with the 2nd worst record in baseball last year.

Does it matter?

As long as the game is on FSN or PAX, I don't care.

150 games on TV is a lot, and we already got 4 of the 12 games that are not going to be shown on TV out of the way.

My hat goes off to both FSN & PAX for excellent coverage set up for this season.

I don't remember a season where there were there was this many games televised, or may I being a homer?

I am very annoyed with them. 80% of the time they show Devil Rays games anyway. Lets see... show the defending World Series Champs, or a team who finished with the 2nd worst record in baseball last year.

Does it matter?

As long as the game is on FSN or PAX, I don't care.

150 games on TV is a lot, and we already got 4 of the 12 games that are not going to be shown on TV out of the way.

My hat goes off to both FSN & PAX for excellent coverage set up for this season.

I don't remember a season where there were there was this many games televised, or may I being a homer? Wow, even better.

If my calculations are correct, 146 of the remaining 151 games will be shown on TV. That's great.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.