May 20, 200422 yr and my fantasy team keeps taking a beating: Prior Leiter Glaus Wood and now maybe Bonds all on the DL. :blink:
May 20, 200422 yr Author http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1805526 CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs placed Kerry Wood on the disabled list Thursday, saying they don't want to take any chances with an injured triceps that still isn't fully healed. Wood last pitched May 11 and the Cubs are hoping to make his trip to DL retroactive to May 12. However, he finished serving a five-game suspension Wednesday night for confronting plate umpire Eric Cooper on April 17 about balls and strikes. Players can't serve suspensions while on the disabled list, and the Cubs plan to consult with Major League Baseball. Wood threw 24 pitches in a bullpen session Thursday morning to see if he was ready to return to the rotation, possibly as early as Sunday against the St. Louis Cardinals. But when the right-hander didn't feel 100 percent, the decision was made to put him on the DL. "I don't want him going out there Sunday at even 95 percent," general manager Jim Hendry said. "We're going to be conservative." Wood left his last start after only two innings when he felt tightness in his right triceps. Tests showed inflammation but no tears, and he rested the next couple of days. He threw off the mound Tuesday and Thursday. "I didn't have any pain," Wood said. "We're being more safe than anything." Wood is 3-3 with a 2.82 ERA and 52 strikeouts. Michael Wuertz was recalled from Triple-A Iowa to take Wood's spot on the roster. He had a 10.38 ERA in 10 relief appearances covering 8 2-3 innings.
May 20, 200422 yr I bet Dusty was kicking and screaming to send Wood out there. The man mangles arms.
May 20, 200422 yr If I were a Cub fan I'd be worried about how Dusty will handle all these young arms now and in the future when some of their prospects come up.
May 20, 200422 yr Looks like Dusty overusing the young pitchers last year is coming back to haunt the Cubs. Dusty's a terrible manager.
May 20, 200422 yr I know this has nothing to do with Wood, but it has something to do with the Cubs. We keep hearing about all this Mark Prior return stuff. How he's making rehab starts and how he's set to come back early June. Yet, our ace, AJ Burnett, one of the best pitchers in all of MLB in 2002 hasn't been talked about once since he went down last year. Nothing at all about him despite the fact that he and Prior might return the same week and maybe even the same day. That's why I hate ESPN and SC. They talk about how the Marlins get no respect and are never talked about but it's their fault. Maybe they should stop talking about the Yankees and Bonds for a while and talk about something else.
May 20, 200422 yr The rules state a player can not serve a suspension while on the DL or in the minors. Yet the Cubs think they can get around that by retroactively placing him on the DL? I don't think MLB is going to accept that.
May 20, 200422 yr wood will be on the DL active today, since his suspension jsut ended. or make the cubs have him serve the suspension after he gets off...but I doubt that. cubs = trying to circumvent the rules.
May 21, 200422 yr If I were a Cub fan I'd be worried about how Dusty will handle all these young arms now and in the future when some of their prospects come up. We're wayyyyy ahead of you there, pal.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.