Amateur Baseball Draft two weeks away

Teal Shadow

I understand its early, I understand some if not most on this board won't know any of this kids let alone you probable will not see this kids performing in teal for another 3-4 years... BUT..

This a plea to the Marlins scouting dept. take chances on kids with signability problems or injury problems. Sometimes those are the ones that become stars because of what they feel they have to prove.

****Williamsport (MD) right-handed pitcher Nick Adenhart just had Tommy John Surgery and was the top RHP in this year draft IMO. PLEASE take him if he fall in the second or third round. Tommy John is minor set back in this days as you can see with the number of succeesfully pitchers that come back stronger than ever. So again please don't let this minor set back cloud your vision, make the move you won't regret it :thumbup ******

*Who I'd like to see the Marlins draft "A SHORTSTOP!!!!" The question is will Stone Mountain GA.'s Chris Nelson be there? comparing him to Jeter is unfair, but not far off. O by the way Chris is also recovering from Tommy John surgery.

* Another kid with a checkered past Miami own LHP Gio Gonzalez one of the top lefties coming into his senior year, until being kick off the team.

* A fireballer? how's about Ohio University's Marc Cornell drafted a couple last year by Boston this kid is back. Armed with a 100mph fastball this kid is a closer in the making. Had some history of arm problems, but has put that behind him.

Those are just a few names I'll be watching to see where they go on June 7th.

Shamrock anything to add????

Guest Juanky

Gio is a very good pitcher, saw him in pitch in person. However he needs some coaching, he can be shaken and his control needs work. Worth a second round pick if he is there for sure.

Adenhart committed to UNC but I'm sure he's not coming now because of the arm problems since he will get better medical attention if he signs with the team that drafts him.

A couple of weeks ago I actually read an article saying scouts worried about his mechanics and delivery and that if the draft were held then he would have slipped to about 10-15 overall or so(this was before the injury).

Guest Juanky

Well, I'm not really sure if he is Tejera. He throws low to mid 90's right now, can throw 93-94 consistently topping out at 95-96, for a lefty that is outstanding. His fastball has some movement, though could be better. He has a nice curve but it isn't as sharp as it can be developed into. Didn't really like his change much.

Adenhart committed to UNC but I'm sure he's not coming now because of the arm problems since he will get better medical attention if he signs with the team that drafts him.

A couple of weeks ago I actually read an article saying scouts worried about his mechanics and delivery and that if the draft were held then he would have slipped to about 10-15 overall or so(this was before the injury).

I would think nc marlin that if the right team drafted him, he'd go pro. Just curious nc marlin did the article quote the kid about what he expect money wise, team, and draft selection? :hat

Well, I'm not really sure if he is Tejera. He throws low to mid 90's right now, can throw 93-94 consistently topping out at 95-96, for a lefty that is outstanding. His fastball has some movement, though could be better. He has a nice curve but it isn't as sharp as it can be developed into. Didn't really like his change much.

It's amazing he's only 5'11, but hey Oswalt is 5'11'' with some heat on his fastball

OK, seriously though. If you look at the Marlins drafting strategy it has been take the best player available despite organizational weakness...and they are not scared to take risks with high picks (see Beckett + Allison). Personally, I'd like to see a position player heavy draft (which this draft is weak in) with arms sprinkled in every so often. I see us taking a lot of arms, however, because all the projectable position players will go in the first 15 picks. I can't think of any players in particular the FO will choose, but I hope they go with a more Beanish approach to drafting because we can't afford any misses. I wish we had a guy in the FO that balanced our all-tools approach to drafting. :plain

LA has the format down perfectly with a SABR GM and a tools scouting director. They are going to become a dynasty in the near future.

I would think nc marlin that if the right team drafted him, he'd go pro. Just curious nc marlin did the article quote the kid about what he expect money wise, team, and draft selection? :hat No I can't remember it doing so. I believe it was a Baseball America article. It was only about a paragraph long or so if I remember correctly. It just talked about how he was BA's number one high school player coming into the year but he no longer would be as scouts had a few concerns.

OK, seriously though. If you look at the Marlins drafting strategy it has been take the best player available despite organizational weakness...and they are not scared to take risks with high picks (see Beckett + Allison). Personally, I'd like to see a position player heavy draft (which this draft is weak in) with arms sprinkled in every so often. I see us taking a lot of arms, however, because all the projectable position players will go in the first 15 picks. I can't think of any players in particular the FO will choose, but I hope they go with a more Beanish approach to drafting because we can't afford any misses. I wish we had a guy in the FO that balanced our all-tools approach to drafting. :plain

LA has the format down perfectly with a SABR GM and a tools scouting director. They are going to become a dynasty in the near future.

Don't sell the Marlin front office short. Assistant GM Mike Hill is young and is a Harvard grad himself. I think he brings alot of new ideas to the table. Beinfest, Hill, Jennings and Ferrara are as good as it gets in MLB.

:notworthy

I agree Malman. I just hope they use limited resources in the best way this time. The position players from the last draft (all tools) look awful in their second year. Maybe they anticipate great revenues from now since the stadium deal is done, which might lead them to draft high-risk high-reward players.

:thumbup agree just look at that Greensboro team God awful, too many projects on that team....But I would understand if they go the other way seeing its a very weak year. :confused

Gio is a very good pitcher, saw him in pitch in person. However he needs some coaching, he can be shaken and his control needs work. Worth a second round pick if he is there for sure.

Boy Juanky you just describe Tejera :blink: Gio throw's heat,sometimes just sometimes...he make's a bad pitch.

I actually agree with the best player available regardless of position. If we didn't do that, we wouldn't have ended up with Jason Stokes, someone I'm pretty sure we're glad we have in our system.

I hope that we don't over-load on pitching again. Between Beckett, Burnett, Willis, Penny, Scott Olsen and (knock on wood) Jeff Allison, we've got quality arms in our system, but I can't think of a position player other than Stokes and Hermida who has "superstar" written all over him; that's the route I hope we take in this year's draft.

OK, seriously though.? If you look at the Marlins drafting strategy it has been take the best player available despite organizational weakness...and they are not scared to take risks with high picks (see Beckett + Allison).? Personally, I'd like to see a position player heavy draft (which this draft is weak in) with arms sprinkled in every so often.? I see us taking a lot of arms, however, because all the projectable position players will go in the first 15 picks.? I can't think of any players in particular the FO will choose, but I hope they go with a more Beanish approach to drafting because we can't afford any misses.? I wish we had a guy in the FO that balanced our all-tools approach to drafting.? :plain

LA has the format down perfectly with a SABR GM and a tools scouting director.? They are going to become a dynasty in the near future.

I actually agree with the best player available regardless of position. If we didn't do that, we wouldn't have ended up with Jason Stokes, someone I'm pretty sure we're glad we have in our system.

I hope that we don't over-load on pitching again. Between Beckett, Burnett, Willis, Penny, Scott Olsen and (knock on wood) Jeff Allison, we've got quality arms in our system, but I can't think of a position player other than Stokes and Hermida who has "superstar" written all over him; that's the route I hope we take in this year's draft. I agree but the problem TSwift25 is picking 27th in the first round, as oppose to 1-10 as we been picking the last 5-6 years, is those types of players will be gone by then...UNLESS there agent is Scott Boras( :thumbdown ) or the kid really wants to go to school and only a big signing bonus will land the kid signature ie Mr.Stokes signing with Texas a couple years back.

The kid I love is Chris Nelson, unbelievable upside, but will he be there at 27? S. Drew has great genes but I don't know if he has the range to play SS. Matt Bush is very good pitcher/SS I don't like those guys. OF/RHP Chris Resop is an example.

The OF I like is Jeff Larish from ASU. The kid played all over the place RF, LF, 1B and 3B. Good power 18 bombs already this year.

I wanna see a good SS prospect come out of the draft along with some good hitters...I think it's great the Marlins have stockpiled pitching over the years, but we need to start getting some kick-ass hitters coming like Cabs...Look at the late 80's/early 90's Braves (hopefully most of the following were home-grown), they were bringing up hitters at a clip: Gant, Justice, Lopez, Klesko, CHipper Jones)...Even the Reds had a brief stint with Dunn and Kearns coming up...My point is, we need to start getting some sluggers in the mix with all the pitching prospects...Would love to see a kid come up through the system that reminds people of either a young Griffey Jr./Bonds/or Thome without spending gobs of money...WIll Stokes or Hermida answer that challenge? Don't know, but would be nice...Lowell and Cabs are good hitters but IMHO they don't make you go "Oh, sh*t" like when Bonds or Thome reaches the plate, at least not yet they don't...;-)

--Right now, the Phillies have an edge over us and it ain't pitching...They have a guy who can possibly homer every time he is up (Thome) and they do not have an easy out in their line-up, 7 and 8 holes can hit...