Gammons Chat on ESPN

Someone asked him about the Phillies making a run and taking the division. Here is the Question and response from Gammons...

Rich (Washington, DC): Hey Peter, do you think the Phillies will continue to hover just above .500 for the rest of the season, or will they play better and take control of the NL East? Seems that they have too much talent to be as "average" as they look now. Thanks.

Peter Gammons: (3:28 PM ET ) I think the Phillies have a big run in them in the second half. If they can get their starting pitching together and somehow cut down on all their strikeouts, they can still win the East.

Peter Gammons: (3:28 PM ET ) However, if A.J. Burnett pitches well, I'm still not sure the Marlins don't have the most talent.

Marlins have the best starting rotation in the NL. Yes, in the NL. I dont think the Phillies can make up ground AGAINST us. They would have to do a lot of winning against other teams - but then again, we stand a pretty good chance of beating anyone because of our pitching. The Phils will have to win games against the lower teams in the NL and will feel pressed to do so. I think we have just as good a chance as they do (if not better because of our confidence) to win the NL East.

One thing is for sure - you have to knock the champ out to take the crown. It is no different with the Marlins. Phillies have a glass jaw though.

Never believe a word Peter Gammons says.

Agreed....I dont know why they dont just get rid of him...

Personally I feel that when I hear him talk about the Marlins sometimes, that he knows the least about them than anyone in the world.Are you kidding me? They are not going to get rid of Gammons because he knows more about baseball than any man alive. He may not be a Marlins fan, but that's not his job. It is unbelievable how much this man knows. His job is very secure in my (nonprofessional) opinion.

Personally I feel that when I hear him talk about the Marlins sometimes, that he knows the least about them than anyone in the world.Are you kidding me? They are not going to get rid of Gammons because he knows more about baseball than any man alive. He may not be a Marlins fan, but that's not his job. It is unbelievable how much this man knows. His job is very secure in my (nonprofessional) opinion. I can't believe anyone would consider that Marlins. This man knows his stuff.

Personally I feel that when I hear him talk about the Marlins sometimes, that he knows the least about them than anyone in the world.Are you kidding me? They are not going to get rid of Gammons because he knows more about baseball than any man alive. He may not be a Marlins fan, but that's not his job. It is unbelievable how much this man knows. His job is very secure in my (nonprofessional) opinion. I can't believe anyone would consider that Marlins. This man knows his stuff. Well I guess I just feel that way because I only pay attention to him when he talks about the Marlins and I don't think he knows much about them.

I said PERSONALLY i want them to get rid of him, because i only care about the marlins and he dosent say anything good about them.

Of course if I was a fan of another team who he gives respect I woudnt care but he dosent give the Marlins much respect...

Guest Jack1

I am not worried about the Phillies as long as they still have the one person who will somehow cause trouble on the team and that man is....Admin BOWA!

I am telling you....he will blow up and screw things up just like he has the last few years!!

I am not worried about the Phillies as long as they still have the one person who will somehow cause trouble on the team and that man is....Admin BOWA!

I am telling you....he will blow up and screw things up just like he has the last few years!!

you gotta love watching him get mad...

Peter Gammons: (3:28 PM ET ) However, if A.J. Burnett pitches well, I'm still not sure the Marlins don't have the most talent.

WTF does that mean? :blink: The man needs some grammer lessons... yep...grammer lessons

:lol :lol

lol yup

it took me a while to figure out what he was trying to say...

If the Red Sox do in fact try to jettison Kim (who left Korea on Sunday saying he was physically and mentally ready to pitch in MLB again) you can be sure to do everything in his power to make it happen.

Gammon's respect for the Marlins always seems a bit hollow as if he's forced to be respectful because after all the Marlin's have led their division virtually all season.

I always find fascinating the deals he conjures up regarding the Fish.

If Gammon's extolls any deal between the Red Sox and the Marlins, beware!

Last year, when the Fish said they weren't trading Lowell, Gammons said they were liars and he guarantees Lowell will be gone by the trade deadline. Then he turned into a little kid about it when the Fish didn't trade him. "I don't know what they're doing. They said they werne't trading Cliff Floyd and we know what happened there."

Shut up Gammons, Fish proved you wrong. "Yankees in 5." Pfft.

Gammons is a good insider. He has his motives and is wrong 90% of the time, but he still gets info most can't.

I'm getting sick and tired of relying on ESPN for Marlins highlights. There are way too many jabs at the front office, Jack and players to make the 30-second clips late in the hour worth it. They rarely broadcast Marlins games, I believe they've shown twice as many Cubs or Braves games which were also on WGN/TBS (basic cable nearly everywhere) than Marlins games. That ESPN alternate game last Wednesday wasn't switched over to once when Boston-San Diego was delayed for rain. The future ESPN schedule does not include one Marlins game but they are broadcasting exciting matchups like Dodgers-D Backs, D Rays-Orioles and Rangers-Mariners.