Steve Finley Trade Talk

Stag5

Okay, let's make it official. We will not land Beltran, but we have a legitimate shot at adding a prime-time player in Steve Finley. Let the Talk begin....

Steve Finley and Elmer Dessens

for

Hee Seop Choi, Abraham Nunez and Franklin Gracesqui

1. Steve Finley would provide the Marlins with a solid bat, great glove and allow McKeon to be more creative with the team he puts on the field.

2. Elmer Dessens. I know, you are saying no way! Before you do, this season in RELIEF APPREANCES only he has pitched 20.7 ininngs, 2.61ERA, 1.16WHIP and just 2 walks. TWO walks in almost 21 innings of relief is something we could use. He is 33 years old so he is very tradeable.

The DBacks need a lot. We could talk about Scott Olson or Jason Stokes but I think the Marlins have decided they will make a trade w/o including these guys.

1. Hee Seop Choi. If you want to say we keep Choi and trade Stokes, fine. But let's say you are a Stokes fan and he will be with the big club in two years, Choi is tradeable. First base this season could be Conine or Easley. (For this to occur you have to believe the DBacks will rid themselves of Richie Sexson)

2. Abraham Nunez. I have no idea if the DBacks see Nunez as a prospect, but they'd need a CF'er and Nunez is worth a try.

3. Justin Wayne. You could substitute many players in this spot. Franklyn Gracesqui, Mike Neu, Ben Howard, etc, etc.

4. Ramon Castro. I didn't include him in the trade but if it helps, anyone object to Castro being included?

The bottom line to this deal is a young Choi for Steve Finley who is in the final year of his contract I believe. Choi is at the very least a known quanity as a 250-260 hitter with power and potential for much better production in the future. The other side of the deal is Justin Wayne and Nunez for Dessens. I think it's a doable deal that makes us a much better team this season.

YOU ARE CRAZY.

WE AREN'T TRADING CHOI AND WE AREN'T TRADING FOR FINLEY.

What the dog is your problem? We'll have even more problems next year when we don't have Finley and Choi if we do that trade.

Good Lord. This trade is just replacing Choi with Finley. And Choi is not our problem. CONINE IS. I nominate this for worst trade proposal of all time.

Keep in mind, you will NOT receive quality player unless you deal quality in return.

You want to deal Stokes? Reed? S. Olson? Hermedia? Naaah. If we didn't have Choi we have onine, Easley and later on, Cordero for 1b.

I like Choi a lot. I don't want to trade him, but...how do you think we would receive a Beltran or Finley? You think because Conine is our problem a team will take him and Nunez for the player we want? You either trade a current starter or top prospects. If the Marlins are sold on Stokes, then Choi is tradeable with Conine, Easley or COrdero at 1B. If we are not sold on Stokes then make Stokes the guy we trade.

You want Choi and Conine or Finley and Conine/Easley/Cordero?

It seems you want Choi, that's fine. But you won't obtain a Finley or Beltran without including Stokes, Olson, Reed, Hermedia, etc, etc.

I'm baffled by this trade.

If I were going to trade for Finley.

I'd give up Scott Olsen, Nunez, and one of our young relievers (Bump, Gracesqui, or Neu) and that would probably be enough to get the D-Backs to eat some of the contract.

Trading Choi would defeat the purpose of getting Finley.

Finley should not be in the same sentence or even book as Beltran

the Marlins are sold on Choi, Stokes is the one who will be moved if anyone

and Finley has a no trade clause, he wont come to Fla

If we obtain Beltran it is for 1/2 season, correct? If so, then he is equal to Steve Finley. If you think we'd sign Beltran to a LT deal then I guess that is where we differ.

As for Finley's no trade deal, I think to make a run at the playoffs at his age he would agree to a deal.

It's something Beinfest at least should look into, you don't know for sure what's going on with that situation, I'm not sure that the D-Backs want to help the Padres, and I also think the Padres are front runners to get Beltran. It's not like Finley would have to move anyways since this is the last year of his contract.

Finley should not be in the same sentence or even book as Beltran

the Marlins are sold on Choi, Stokes is the one who will be moved if anyone

and Finley has a no trade clause, he wont come to Fla

If we obtain Beltran it is for 1/2 season, correct? If so, then he is equal to Steve Finley. If you think we'd sign Beltran to a LT deal then I guess that is where we differ.

As for Finley's no trade deal, I think to make a run at the playoffs at his age he would agree to a deal. no, if we get Beltran its for a long time

Okay Beltran for Ramon Castro and Justin Wayne

or

Steve Finley for Abraham Nunez and Gracesqui.

You feel better now?

Last year we traded Adrian Gonzalez, Will Smith and Ryan Snare for 1/2 seson of Uggie.

Last year we traded Denny Bautista our top pitching prospect, Don Levinski and an extra contract year for Jeff Conine.

But you're right...we will land that big bat for Nunez, Castro and Mike Neu :banghead

AWFUL, just awful.

BTW, Stokes has no trade value at the moment. He broke his wrist again. You know the wrist that made him suck all last year while recuperating. The guy is 2 1/2 years from joining any major league club.

Damn, I didn't hear it was a break. That sucks.

or

You feel better now?

Last year we traded Adrian Gonzalez, Will Smith and Ryan Snare for 1/2 seson of Uggie.

Last year we traded Denny Bautista our top pitching prospect, Don Levinski and an extra contract year for Jeff Conine.

But you're right...we will land that big bat for Nunez, Castro and Mike Neu :banghead

no one ever said we wouldnt give up prospects

but not Choi

or

You feel better now?

no one ever said we wouldnt give up prospects

but not Choi So which ones? If a deal goes down, what makes us happy and what makes us cry? Who are the prospect you are willing to trade for Beltran?

or

You feel better now?

you're right we'd have to give up at least one of our best prospects, like I said Scott Olsen, but Choi is not a prospect he's part of our current team. Switch Choi with one of our top prospects and you may be on to something.