What If...

As Beltran's name is consistently thrown around here as our new outfielder, nobody is considering the future. Say for instance, a big instance, we do get him for whomever, nunez, olson, stokes, w/e. Is it worth the risk? What are the odds of resigning him? We already depleted our farm system on Ugie and Conine last year. And obviously it paid off. However, one more trade, and we really have nothing left. So again this trade all falls on whether or not we can actually resign him. With Boras as an agent, a weak free agent group in 04, the stadium issue unresolved (thus shortening Lowell's contract) and rumors flying about whether or not the team will stay in South Florida, all signs point to no. So again, is the depletion of the farm system worth it for another rental (who could win us another WS)? Or would it be smarter to go after Finley for less or someone else? What do you all say?

i dont care what anyone says but id "deplete" our farm system in a heartbeat to get carlos beltran or any player of that quality.

propsects are just that. prospects. they have potential. you cant sit around and worry about the future when you have a chance to win now.

i dont care what anyone says but id "deplete" our farm system in a heartbeat to get carlos beltran or any player of that quality.

propsects are just that. prospects. they have potential. you cant sit around and worry about the future when you have a chance to win now.

Hmmm...So if we were in contention a couple of years ago, would you have traded Cabrera?

While I'd love to have Beltran here as much as the next person, you have to be smart in your dealings.

Most of our prospects are either: too old; not good; or play at positions already filled by young stars.

If another team wants any that match the following I say let them have them. I have a hard time seeing what the Royals or anyone would like about a 25 yo starter without an out pitch (Hutchinson), a 27 yo outfielder that strikes out or grounds into a double play every time he comes to bat (WTFNUNEZ), a 28 yo catcher in need of very long hot streak jut to reach the Mendoza line (Castro), or a slow power-hitting first base prospect with a reoccuring injury to his wrist (Stokes).

Hmmm...So if we were in contention a couple of years ago, would you have traded Cabrera?

While I'd love to have Beltran here as much as the next person, you have to be smart in your dealings.

well there are certain prospects that you just dont touch.....and im sure at the time cabrera was one of them.

and youre right about dealing smart.

Most of our prospects are either: too old; not good; or play at positions already filled by young stars.

If another team wants any that match the following I say let them have them. I have a hard time seeing what the Royals or anyone would like about a 25 yo starter without an out pitch (Hutchinson), a 27 yo outfielder that strikes out or grounds into a double play every time he comes to bat (WTFNUNEZ), a 28 yo catcher in need of very long hot streak jut to reach the Mendoza line (Castro), or a slow power-hitting first base prospect with a reoccuring injury to his wrist (Stokes).

Why would you think that those guys are our best prospects? Only Stokes is one of our best prospects out of the guys you mentioned. Hutchinson is a borderline prospect, and the other 2 are bums.