Why are we always the "surprise team"

gobucks

Why is it that the fish are always the team to keep an eye on? People were saying it with Vlad and now Beltran yet there are no solid facts out there. Is it a PR thing by the Marlins. Both guys seemed or seem like huge long shots yet everybody seems to mention us. What gives?

probably cause KC said they want prospects or C and 3rd baseman and we have that to offer but am sure beltran will never see teal...

I would say it's a combination of both. We are known for having good prospects, so that's why we're currently "in the mix". Additionally, I also think that Beinfest is making calls around the league to put the team's name out there and show how aggressive and committed to winning we are!

Why is it that the fish are always the team to keep an eye on? People were saying it with Vlad and now Beltran yet there are no solid facts out there. Is it a PR thing by the Marlins. Both guys seemed or seem like huge long shots yet everybody seems to mention us. What gives?

If you think about it, there are probably 100s or 1000s of articles speculating about trades. We just choose to concentrate on those that talk about the Marlins. IMO, it is all speculation with no concrete base.

I think it's pretty simple. We aren't a "big name" team, though I guess we are getting bigger. When you think about who would be likely to make a big name trade..I wouldn't put the Marlins in with the Yankees or Red Sox.

My guess is that there is SOMETHING going on with the FO concerning Beltran for us to be mentioned... or name has been in the race and has stayed there the entire time.

Guest Moneyball

we are always a surprise because the history of our franchise has always been about losing and have firesales. in a couple years when the team has 4-5 straight winning seasons with some semi blockbuster trades we won't be seen as a surprise for everything.

Simply because we aren't normally haven't been buyers and aren't in the position to take on huge contracts, but Beinfest and Loria continue to surprise every time. It's really hard to get a read on the front office so you can't count them out.

i think the Pudge deal and the Urbina deal last year surprised everyone....it showed that while we were desperately afraid of long-term deals, money was not as much of a factor for us if it is short-term, and it makes our team better. so when you're talking about Vlad considering a 1-year deal, or Beltran looking for someone to pay him for the rest of this year, we will always be considered players. the FO has proven time and time again that as long as it's just for one season, they'll dig into their pockets for pretty much anyone.