Beckett progressing, may start Saturday

The bleeding blister on pitcher Josh Beckett's finger has fully healed, and on Tuesday he showed progress with his injured lower back.Five days after Beckett's last start, when he left the game in pain, he threw from 60 to 75 feet for about five minutes."It's definitely feeling better," said Beckett, who has been taking anti-inflammatory medication.

He said he expects to throw from a longer distance today, with a bullpen session scheduled for Thursday in hopes of starting Saturday against Tampa Bay. If the session doesn't go well, Beckett could be placed on the disabled list retroactive to June 17, and Darren Oliver likely would start.

"Who knows whether [beckett] can go or not," manager Jack McKeon said. "We'll have to wait and see."

Beckett didn't throw much Tuesday, stopping both as a precaution and because he felt little discomfort.

`It's nothing you want to re-injure and then go backward," Beckett said.

hopefully, then maybe we can see 15 k's. after all he will be facing the D-rays :tv_happy

Hopefully this is the LAST time he even faces that DL this year.

i doubt it. i was hoping his injury problems the past two years were just flukes and that he wasn't inherently injury-prone... now i'm starting to believe he really is one of those players who will always spend time on the DL.

What is it? 12? 13? in a row??

They're gonna have to lose some soon. Let them win the next two games and then get checked by the Marlins with a nice series sweep! exactly my thoughts. Sooner or later, the Rays will lose, and we're one of the toughest opponents they've faced recently. I predict a series win, a sweep would be pushing it.

Guest Juanky

Beckett was great the whole way from when he came off the DL last season in June against the Braves until October.

It wasn't "lapses"