Drinking Age

legacyofCangelosi

Liquor laws were relaxed and brought down to 18 in the 70's. partly as a response to Vietnam and 18 year old draft eligibility. It was an unmitigated disaster. 21 is fine w/me.

Age restrictions on tobacco are useless. Thankfully now we are seeing that scientific corroboration of it's detriment to health is serving more as a deterrent than age restrictions.

The car rental thing isn't law, but I can understand it completely. I'm also pretty sure that there is some history with renting to younger customers who did not have the financial resources to cover damages -which led to the over 25 policies.

Movie theatre restrictions are really dumb, outside of NC-17 & XXX restrictions. Kids have always been able to see what they want to see, and having some 16 year old, acne infested dork with a $5.15 per hour job taking tickets act as an enforcer and gatekeeper is a little unrealistic.

What exactly made the 18 yo drinking age an "unmitigated disaster"? Methinks there is more than a bit of hyperbole and partial untruth in that statement. I think the drinking age should be 18. If you're an adult at 18, you should be allowed to drink.

What exactly made the 18 yo drinking age an "unmitigated disaster"? Methinks there is more than a bit of hyperbole and partial untruth in that statement. I think the drinking age should be 18. If you're an adult at 18, you should be allowed to drink.

434700[/snapback]

c/o the AMA

The Minimum Legal Drinking Age: Facts and Fallacies

After Prohibition, nearly all states restricting youth access to alcohol designated 21 as the minimum legal drinking age (MLDA). Between 1970 and 1975, however, 29 states lowered the MLDA to 18, 19, or 20. These changes occurred when the minimum age for other activities, such as voting, also were being lowered (Wechsler & Sands, 1980). Scientists began studying the effects of the lowered MLDA, focusing particularly on the incidence of motor vehicle crashes, the leading cause of death among teenagers. Several studies in the 1970s found that motor vehicle crashes increased significantly among teens when the MLDA was lowered (Cucchiaro et al, 1974; Douglas et al, 1974; Wagenaar, 1983, 1993; Whitehead, 1977; Whitehead et al, 1975; Williams et al, 1974).

With evidence that a lower drinking age resulted in more traffic injuries and fatalities among youth, citizen advocacy groups pressured states to restore the MLDA to 21. Because of such advocacy campaigns, 16 states increased their MLDAs between September 1976 and January 1983. Resistance from other states, and concern that minors would travel across state lines to purchase and consume alcohol, prompted the federal government in 1984 to enact the Uniform Drinking Age Act, which mandated reduced federal transportation funds to those states that did not raise the MLDA to 21. Among alcohol control policies, the MLDA has been the most studied: since the 1970s, at least 70 studies have examined the effects of either increasing or decreasing the MLDA.

Research Findings

A higher minimum legal drinking age is effective in preventing alcohol-related deaths and injuries among youth. When the MLDA has been lowered, injury and death rates increase, and when the MLDA is increased, death and injury rates decline (Wagenaar, 1993).

A higher MLDA results in fewer alcohol-related problems among youth, and the 21-year-old MLDA saves the lives of well over 1,000 youth each year (Jones et al, 1992; NHTSA, 1989). Conversely, when the MLDA is lowered, motor vehicle crashes and deaths among youth increase. At least 50 studies have evaluated this correlation (Wagenaar, 1993).

A common argument among opponents of a higher MLDA is that because many minors still drink and purchase alcohol, the policy doesn't work. The evidence shows, however, that although many youth still consume alcohol, they drink less and experience fewer alcohol-related injuries and deaths (Wagenaar, 1993).

Research shows that when the MLDA is 21, people under age 21 drink less overall and continue to do so through their early twenties (O'Malley & Wagenaar, 1991).

The effect of the higher MLDA occurs with little or no enforcement. Historically, enforcement has focused primarily on penalizing underage drinkers for illegal alcohol possession and/or consumption. For every 1,000 minors arrested for alcohol possession, only 130 merchants have actions taken against them, and only 88 adults who supply alcohol to minors face criminal penalties (Wagenaar & Wolfson, 1995).

Researchers conducted an in-depth review of enforcement actions in 295 counties in Kentucky, Michigan, Montana, and Oregon. The review showed that in a three-year period, 27 percent of the counties took no action against licensed establishments that sold alcohol to minors, and 41 percent of those counties made no arrests of adults who supplied alcohol to minors. Although the majority of the counties took at least one action against alcohol establishments and/or adults who provided alcohol to minors, many did not take such actions frequently (Wagenaar & Wolfson, 1995).

Regarding Europeans and alcohol use among youth, research confirms that Europeans have rates of alcohol-related diseases (such as cirrhosis of the liver) similar to or higher than those in the U.S. population (Single, 1984). However, drinking and driving among youth may not be as great a problem in Europe as in the U.S. Compared to their American counterparts, European youth must be older to obtain their drivers' licenses, are less likely to have a car, and are more inclined to use public transportation (Wagenaar, 1993).

There's a lot of holes in what you posted there. What it doesn't address, is the deaths of 20-22 year olds under the 21 year old age limit vs. the deaths of 17-19 year olds under the 18 year old drinking age limit. And the combined deaths of 17-22 year olds under the 18 year old drinking age limit vs. the deaths of 17-22 year olds under the 21 year old drinking age limit. Without those numbers, you can't really make a valid comparison, unless you are valuing the life of an 18 year old over the life of a 21 year old.

There's a lot of holes in what you posted there. What it doesn't address, is the deaths of 20-22 year olds under the 21 year old age limit vs. the deaths of 17-19 year olds under the 18 year old drinking age limit. And the combined deaths of 17-22 year olds under the 18 year old drinking age limit vs. the deaths of 17-22 year olds under the 21 year old drinking age limit. Without those numbers, you can't really make a valid comparison, unless you are valuing the life of an 18 year old over the life of a 21 year old.

434736[/snapback]

It's all really very simple.

People who are exposed/use alcohol have a higher mortality rate.

Lessen or delay exposure to the alcohol and the mortality rate declines.

I'm fine with it being 21 .. but it isn't some super social/moral thing ... it's mainly that I don't like being in bars with people who don't know how to manage themselves and alcohol ..... my experiences have often shown that these are the younger people

i think if it was 18 then i'd have to deal with a lot more crap when I'm looking to go out and have a good time

This is just such bass-ackwards logic it's ridiculous. People who are exposed/use automobiles have a higher mortality rate than those that don't. Lessen or delay the exposure to automobiles, and the mortality rates decline. So, by that token, people should be 21 before they're even allowed to enter an automobile.

legacyofCangelosi,, how old are you?

Usual the ones who complain are the ones that are under the age limit.

I can tell you I'm way over 21, and I still think it's unfair. Although, I didn't let it stop me from drinking a lot when I was in Jr. High, High School, and College.

This is just such bass-ackwards logic it's ridiculous. People who are exposed/use automobiles have a higher mortality rate than those that don't. Lessen or delay the exposure to automobiles, and the mortality rates decline. So, by that token, people should be 21 before they're even allowed to enter an automobile.

434816[/snapback]

Driving an automobile is not tantamount to using legal drugs recreationally. Dumb comparison.

I think 17 is the right age. You can see NC-17 movies, you can volunteer for war, you have already done many worse things is your life. Chef said it best, "they'll be ready when they're 17."

This is the exact same logic states used in the 70's (you can vote and go die in Vietnam, why not drink?) and like I said, it was a train wreck.

People of all ages are idiots when it comes to alcohol. Why draw a wider swath of exposure and include 18+?

legacyofCangelosi,, how old are you?

Usual the ones who complain are the ones that are under the age limit.

434761[/snapback]

I'm 21 actually and I didnt complain at all, in FACT my post reads as follows... "What do you guys think about age limits on purchasing alcohol and tobacco products? Should there be one at all? Should it be 16, 18, 21, or somehting else? I'll post my opinion later and i also want to touch on car rental age restricitons and even movie theater restrictions."

I left out my opinion completely to see what others thought first. By the way in miami liquor is readily available to minors, and mostly everyone i know has frequented liquor stores and some bars since early in high school. So the quesiton is more of how useful are these age restrictions, not to mention how many minors have fake IDs that owners of these establishments do little to detect. In fact theres a fairly high mortality rate in auto accidents for the over 79 age group and i dont think they should be restricted from driving either. If I had to set limits i would make most things 18, including driving, excluding movies.

Guest Juanky

For me it's a tough call.

I can see the one hand of the argument, that if we have so many problems at 21 with underaged drinking and this and that, imagine if it was lowered. More people would be inspired to drink if they were closer to the drinking age. Teenage drivers are bad enough as it is (well, here everyone is equally horrendous), don't need alcohol possibly playing a bigger role.

I also see the argument from the other side. You are old enough to smoke, to vote, to watch any movies, to win the lotto (I think, not sure), own a non-concealed firearm, and most importantly, to die for your country. Why not let them have a drink too?

I really don't care. Alcohol doesn't do it for me. When I drink it better taste good, that's my perspective on things. So to me, it's a moot issue. Others might care more.

The restrictions should be kept where they are... Or maybe not. I really don't know. There are many countries that don't have these restrictions and yet the rate of teen drunk driving accidents are not as high as they are here. I'm torn here.

434968[/snapback]

I agree I dont get why people drink beer, it tastes awful....

The restrictions should be kept where they are... Or maybe not. I really don't know. There are many countries that don't have these restrictions and yet the rate of teen drunk driving accidents are not as high as they are here. I'm torn here.

434968[/snapback]

I agree I dont get why people drink beer, it tastes awful....

436191[/snapback]

How dare you.

434968[/snapback]

You could very well be right on other countries...but do you have evidence? I've never heard that the rate is higher here than in other countries. I know we probably have more teen drunk driving accidents b/c more teens own a car than in other countries...

There are many countries that don't have these restrictions and yet the rate of teen drunk driving accidents are not as high as they are here.

434968[/snapback]

Yes, we need evidence. I see no evidence here, therefore it's not correct. :whistle

Guest Fritz

As a person who's spent significant time in Europe and had their fair share of pub experiences, there's no need to have the drinking age at 21. Most people in pubs are very responsible and courteous and you don't get the drunken idiocy that plagues many American drinkers who are 18. I believe that the taboo that America has created by having the 21 year old drinking age has made it so that underage drinkers (which there are many) drink as much as possible because their rationale is "I dunno if this'll be my last drink before 21." Also, even in Europe they don't card people for alcohol because there is a general level of respect and responsibility that people have regarding alcohol. Anyway, I think that if America made the drinking age 18, after an initial period of drunken idiots who try to take advantage of the situation at every possible juncture, people would relax and have a similar outlook as the Europeans.