Pittsburgh at Florida (July 5th, 2004 - 7:05 PM)

CapeFish

---- vs. ----

Wells 3-5, 5.10 -------------------- Beckett 4-4, 3.86

Beckett returns to face Bucs

07/04/2004  1:37 PM ETBy Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

From one hot team to another.

The Marlins seem to be catching every sizzling team. The improved Devil Rays just took two of three in the Citrus Series at Pro Player Stadium, and beginning Monday, the Pirates bring their league-high nine-game winning streak to South Florida.

The Marlins send Josh Beckett to the mound looking to cool off the Pirates while at the same time attempting to get the Marlins on a hot streak of their own.

On Monday, Beckett is set to be activated from the disabled list, where he has been since pulling a muscle in his lower back on June 17. Before the back problem, he'd been on the DL with a blister on his right middle finger.

The 24-year-old has thrown 3 2/3 innings since May 30, and in his last five home starts is 2-0, with a 1.93 ERA.

Pitching matchup:

PIT: RHP Kip Wells

3-5, 5.10 ERA in 2004

first appearance vs. FLA in 2004

2-0, 1.38 ERA vs. FLA in 2003

2-1, 2.37 ERA lifetime vs. FLA

FLA: RHP Josh Beckett

4-4, 3.86 ERA in 2004

first appearance vs. PIT in 2004

1-0, 0.00 ERA vs. PIT in 2003

1-0, 0.00 ERA lifetime vs. PIT

Players to watch:

Miguel Cabrera had three hits, including a home run, on Sunday. He was a triple shy of becoming the first Marlin to hit for the cycle. He is the fourth Marlin to reach 20 homers before the All-Star Break, joining Mike Lowell (28 in 2003), Gary Sheffield (25 in 1996) and Cliff Floyd (21 in 2001). ... Lowell, who saw a 10-game hitting streak end on Saturday, collected a single on Sunday. He is 0-for-6 lifetime vs. Wells, and Cabrera is 0-for-5.

Quotable:

"We've got to do it. You can talk all you want, but we've got to do it. We've done it before, and we have to do it again. We'll find what we're made of and if we want to rebound." -- manager Jack McKeon, on battling out of a rough stretch

On the Internet:

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

Gameday

Official game notes

On television:

PIT: FSNP

FLA: FSN

USA: ESPN Alt (select markets)/ESPN Deportes (All markets - Espa?ol)

On radio:

PIT: KDKA 1020

FLA: 560 WQAM, 1140 AM WQBA (Español)

Quick hits:

The Marlins are now 7-5 on Independence Day. ... Damion Easley's homer on Sunday was the fourth he has hit in his last 49 at-bats. ... Sunday's win means that everyone in attendance can redeem their ticket stub for a free small cheese pizza at Papa John's. Fans have 48 hours from the end of the game to collect their pizza. The promotion is geared around home victories by A.J. Burnett in July. ... The Marlins finished Interleague Play at 7-11.

On deck:

Tuesday: vs. Pittsburgh, 7:05 p.m. ET

Wednesday: vs. Pittsburgh, 7:05 p.m. ET

Thursday: Off

Friday: vs. Mets, 7:35 p.m. ET

Saturday: vs. Mets, 6:05 p.m. ET

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

right now we will start a winning streak, we beat d-rays finally josh coming back, d-train is getting some extra help, lowell cabs hitting home runs again, and choi and pierre making contact again. it will get better. by the all star break we will be tied with the phils for 1st. i am sure :arms :cheers :compute oh remeber vote pierre

Guest FishFanInPA

I have been offered tix for tomorrow's Phillies game but if i go the Mets will win and I don't know if I can handle that....what should i do?

Guest FishFanInPA

Would you rather have the Phils win?

440765[/snapback]

I don't know. I'm so conflicted. I hate the Mets and everything New York but then I hate the Phillies too and their dumb fans. I dont want a Hot Mets team comin to Florida.