Florida's Bullet Train

CapeFish

I am a big supporter of High Speed Rail in Florida, even if it is only to take tourists around because those will be tourists who don't get lost, get in accidents, or clog up our roads like they presently do. I also think the jobs created, the public-private partnership, and the ability to have naother transportation option can only be beneficial. Many Floridians agree with this, but do you?

Post your opinions, comments and questions.

I am a supporter of Governor Bush, but his attacks on this program will not go anywhere. We voted, just get it done! The Acela in the northeast is absolutely great and has high ridership, our state used to be train based, but that stopped in the 60's with the advent of the interstate.

http://www.floridahighspeedrail.com/

http://www.floridabullettrain.com/

http://www.derailthebullettrain.com/

? Will the taxpayers have to subsidize operations?

No. The contract between The Florida High Speed Rail Authority and The Fluor-Bombardier - Virgin Group Consortium will specifically state that the ridership is guaranteed by the Consortium and that no subsidies will be sought or authorized.

http://www.floridabullettrain.com/modules....aq=yes&id_cat=2

Sounds like it can pump cash into our economy if it goes through.

456402[/snapback]

1. The pre-eminent high speed rail economist in Florida, Dr. Tim Lynch of Florida State University, recently testified before the very same state panel looking at the costs and benefits of high speed rail. Dr. Lynch reported that not only do the benefits of high speed rail far exceed the costs, but that there will be a significant economic cost of not building high speed rail.

According to Dr. Lynch: "If Article X, Section 19, of the Constitution is repealed the loss of economic benefits by private sector businesses, the public and State of Florida will include 41,267 jobs, $11.7 billion in wages and salaries and $34.1 billion in additional economic activity and a $5.7 billion loss of other benefits."

Dr. Lynch is the Director of the Center for Economic Analysis at Florida State University, and has been involved in studying the economics of high speed rail in Florida and around the world many years. He recently completed a "restudy" of several previous analyses, which he submitted to the EDR panel last month.

i voted no because its stupid as hell.

i'm a huge proponent of useful mass transit, but this is a total waste of taxpayer dough. the costs outweigh the benefits.

useful public transportation could do wonders in a place that needs it such as miami-dade county. this, however, is a retarded pipedream... the ramifications upon our tourism industry are SO overblown. look at that map. 90% of those tracks are places that tourists would never go...let them drive rental cars like everywhere else if they want to go to some random-ass place like fort myers, jacksonville, or pensacola.

as far as traffic is concerned--there is zero traffic on the roads covering 95% of those tracks.

its the stupidest, most idiotic thing ever. lobbyists get s*** like this onto the ballots and people vote for it cuz it sounds cool.

actually, i'd say the stupidest thing ever is the class size initiative that passed, but thats the subject for another debate.

i voted no because its stupid as hell.

i'm a huge proponent of useful mass transit, but this is a total waste of taxpayer dough. the costs outweigh the benefits.

useful public transportation could do wonders in a place that needs it such as miami-dade county. this, however, is a retarded pipedream... the ramifications upon our tourism industry are SO overblown. look at that map. 90% of those tracks are places that tourists would never go...let them drive rental cars like everywhere else if they want to go to some random-ass place like fort myers, jacksonville, or pensacola.

as far as traffic is concerned--there is zero traffic on the roads covering 95% of those tracks.

its the stupidest, most idiotic thing ever. lobbyists get s*** like this onto the ballots and people vote for it cuz it sounds cool.

actually, i'd say the stupidest thing ever is the class size initiative that passed, but thats the subject for another debate.

456459[/snapback]

Like Fort Myers, Jacksonville, and Pensacola are so random. Tourists visit these 3 places more than Miami. If you actually read the plan, you would notice the first leg is Tampa to Orlando, then St. Pete to Tampa and Orlando to Miami.

The eventual vision is to have the system mirror all the major highways in the state. Amtrak is working on restoring rail service in Florida to somewhat respectable levels, but the speed is not there...that is why this is being built.

1. The pre-eminent high speed rail economist in Florida, Dr. Tim Lynch of Florida State University, recently testified before the very same state panel looking at the costs and benefits of high speed rail.

456404[/snapback]

i'm sorry, but "pre-eminent high speed rail economist" is just another way to say "pre-eminent high speed rail proponent".

Dr. Lynch reported that not only do the benefits of high speed rail far exceed the costs, but that there will be a significant economic cost of not building high speed rail.

According to Dr. Lynch: "If Article X, Section 19, of the Constitution is repealed the loss of economic benefits by private sector businesses, the public and State of Florida will include 41,267 jobs, $11.7 billion in wages and salaries and $34.1 billion in additional economic activity and a $5.7 billion loss of other benefits."

456404[/snapback]

either this guy is a complete nimrod or he just lacks all credibility.

he gives zero fact to substantiate "the benefits of high speed rail far exceed the costs".

those numbers on "lost" jobs, wages, and benefits are totally meaningless. i could spend $75 billion to create the worlds largest pizza and end up producing more jobs than that.

BTW, the stupidest thing was building MetroRail when nobody said the would use it and nobody uses it.

456466[/snapback]

you can't possibly think this would be put to more use than metrorail.

456472[/snapback]

Yes it would.

All the people who come from Orlando International Airport or Tampa International Airport and drive on I-4 to Walt Disney World, or use shuttle buses, would use this and that guaranteed daily ridership exceeds what MetroRail gets in a day.

BTW, the stupidest thing was building MetroRail when nobody said the would use it and nobody uses it.

456466[/snapback]

you can't possibly think this would be put to more use than metrorail.

456472[/snapback]

Yes it would.

All the people who come from Orlando International Airport or Tampa International Airport and drive on I-4 to Walt Disney World, or use shuttle buses, would use this and that guaranteed daily ridership exceeds what MetroRail gets in a day.

456475[/snapback]

i dont even need to look up the figures to call you on that.

no offense, but you need to stop making facts up. you do it constantly.

Ridership: Metrorail averages approximately 48,039 daily weekday boardings. Total for FY 2003 was 14,306,084.

http://www.co.miami-dade.fl.us/transit/facts.asp

Fluor-Bombardier-Virgin and Disney have given financial guarantees to ridership and costs.

No public transit system can claim that kind of support.

456480[/snapback]

are you trying to imply taht over 48,000 people would ride the bullet train daily to disney world from those locations you mentioned?