Southern pride....

g8trz2003

Cool....there were a few people on here who stated they hated Southern pride...

Yah...it's so sad that our country accepted such a horrible institution like slavery...there are a few black marks on this country's record as to dealings with minorities.

I don't hate it. I don't care for the black (black meaning dark, bad) history the south had.

I am a southerner.

479959[/snapback]

The north was no bargain either. Witch burnings, exploitation of child labor in the early industrial revolution mills/factories. Moving up to the 20th century, the treatment the "bonus army" of WWI vets that marched on D.C. in the early 30's was pretty raw.

479978[/snapback]

please, let's not turn this thread into a "which is worse? North or South?" thread...

:banghead dammit I turned this thread into slavery discussion! lol....

I havent heard to much about this slavery in South Florida, though...interesting....are they literally slaves? Or getting paid crap..

479979[/snapback]

They are being treated as slaves and worked like them. And they aren't getting paid anything either.

Guest marlins02

even though im from a city thats not considered a traditional southern city im still a southerner and i dont hide it whenever i leave the region.

now if i only could say "usher" the way the "true" southerners can say it. i keep trying to repeat it to play around but it always comes out f***ed up.

well, being a florida native and living here all my life and even moving to a little town called lady lake for a short period of time, I know what "southern pride" is all about.

There is nothing wrong with liking living in the south. HOWEVER there is something wrong with the confederate flag. I believe it is a symbol of racism and most people who have it and are proud to show it off are racist.

Now, can we please get some Lil' John to represent the dirty south! BIA BIA!

There are still black marks today with groups such as the Haitians. And the government has yet to do anything about the slavery going down on the farms in Homestead. Its almost common knowledge here that thats going on.

479975[/snapback]

funny you mention that. I guess your referring to the illegal immigratants that make close to nothing working the fields. Turns out that immigrant advocacy groups, such as the haitian coalition are against any govt intervention in this aspect. B/c unfortunately all that can be done is to deport them or grant amnesty, which would create a bureaucratic mess that ends with the immigrants themselves losing.

furman, you know where Im from. I think having pride of where you are from is a great thing. Hell Ive had a lot of playful arguments with people from Illinois who joke that Florida is just tourism, old people, and oranges. Ill get into it with them about Florida too.

My problem with Southern pride is just that, the dangers of pride. The bible isnt too keen on pride is it? The danger is not looking to fix the flaws that come with it too. Southern pride has been harnessed by a lot of politicians to take advantage of the fears of poor whites and then do things which they dont realize are bad for them. Effictivley its been a way to divide poor whites from poor blacks and hispanics. Poor whites have much more to gain by fighting the well to do southerners than other who are in poverty. But they dont. This has gone back a long way and I know its getting better but it still exists. I know there is a congressional election in North Carolina and the politicians are running on the "immigrants are costing you your jobs and encroaching on your values" platform. By feeding the fear and pride of poor whites, theyve baited them away from the real problems that plague these regions like unemployment, healthcare, and education.

Whether or not you agree with me is fine. But I think if you are gonna be proud of where you come from, you gotta be proud of the faults of that place too. Too often, pride likes the good without the bad.

As I've stated before I have had the pleasure to meet proud southerners who in no way are racists. However, many who do fly the confederate flag on their homes or on their cars often engage in discriminating other ethnicities and races.

Part of the problem is that the confederate flag has been constantly linked to the KKK. So instead of showing that you are proud to be a southerner, many people will immediately think you are a racist and that you are a member of the clan. It may not be so in your case, but this is the way it is generally perceived.

I'm a damn proud Texan....

But I also know that we have royally f***ed up things numerous times...most recently in that idiot sent to the White House who lives here.

Pride is one of the seven deadly sins also......so you have to in many ways stifle the pride, and flying mollusk is correct....often we look at the good in a place and completely ignore the bad.

Like I said...I'm damn proud to be a Texan.....but hell Texas has its problems also...we've done some things that are not that great....but many, many things that are great.

and i dont really know where i'm going with this.

f_m and das are right.

Pride is a dangerous thing. I think one can be proud to be a Southerner/FLoridian/etc. but you also have to know why you're proud. I think the Southern states are the most beautiful states in the country (this is just me, and is not fact), and I love Southern traditions (such as food, the accent, college football, etc.)...but I realize that there were/are many problems. No region/state/person is perfect, and neither is the South.

I'm proud of what my ancestors fought for (their family and property's safety in Southern GA), and I'm proud of such ideas as States' Rights and limited government that the Confed. also fought for. I am NOT proud of slavery in the least bit (although I'm glad that slavery in the South occured IN A SENSE, because there are more black folk down here--per capita--than any other region).

I just want to hear rferry and futuregm and anyone else who said they hate southern pride. That is a rather ignorant statement.

I just want to hear rferry and futuregm and anyone else who said they hate southern pride. That is a rather ignorant statement.

481461[/snapback]

I can speak from personal experience that there are some so called "white" folks that go around showcasing the confederate flag and "southern pride" to make you and your well meaning people look like racists.

I was at a gas station (filling up my car during a trip) somewhere in Florida where there seemed to be a heck of a lot confederate flags displayed. I went into the store to buy some water and as I was to pay I didn't understand what the man said, so asked in my very heavy latino accent to repeat it. He looked at me like if I had just insulted him and he shouted (literally) the amount I was to pay, then threw the change back at me. Of course, you know I am not one to keep quiet. I asked what was his problem and he just looked at me as if I was an inferior animal. I told him that I never knew people were so rude in Florida. As I was walking towards the door, I swear this is no lie, the man screamed "go back to your country you damn spick!".

Now, I know that this is a very small minority of people who behave this way, but they are enough to give a bad name to your confederate flag and to spread the general perception that southerners are racists.

Guest marlins02

there's usually no 'k' in s***

:)

481699[/snapback]

das would know :)

i remember going to tennessee once and my family went into one of those small family owned stores. we went in there talking spanish and my dad is one of those dark latinos (not black but dark) and while the wife looks at us smiling and saying hi, the husband was looking at us suspiciously (sp?) making sure we didnt steal nothing.

i actually thought it was pretty funny.

Guest marlins02

true southerners don't say "usher" like "ursher"....that's just lame....

480141[/snapback]

its funny as hell though :lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.