More praise for Beinfest

Teal Shadow

Marlins

Paul Lo Duca acknowledges the cheers of the fans after homering in his first at-bat with the Marlins. (Alan Diaz / AP)

When is someone going to write a book about this front office? GM Admin Beinfest and Co. were at their feverish, creative best, acquiring a heart-and-soul catcher, Paul Lo Duca, and one of the game's top setup men, Guillermo Mota, in a deal in which their only significant loss was righthander Brad Penny.

The Marlins' other pitching additions ? righty starter Ismael Valdez and righty reliever Rudy Seanez ? should be serviceable. On the other hand, their spirited but failed bid to land Rockies right fielder Admin Walker left them stuck with outfielder Juan Encarnacion, with whom manager Jack McKeon already has lost patience once.

Encarnacion is signed through 2005. Lo Duca and Mota ? like the departed Penny ? are due significant raises in arbitration. But the financial issues can wait. Darren Daulton inspired the Marlins' championship run in '97. Ivan Rodriguez did the same in '03. Now maybe it's Lo Duca's turn.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2628018

hey if Lo Duca "inspires" them all the way to the playoffs then all will be forgiven. :)

and I still am happy they made a trade, even though I have my issues with this particular one.

one thing that you can certainly say about this front office is that they won't sit on their hands. they're not afraid to make moves.

Why can't we be happy that we are no longer in the bad era down here? We actually have an owner who knows baseball and knows when to pay more, have arguably the best GM in the game right now, and our farm system still has players the likes of Hermida, Stokes, Bazardo, Olson, Willingham. I'd say we are in good shape for the future.

Guest Juanky

Why can't we be happy that we are no longer in the bad era down here? We actually have an owner who knows baseball and knows when to pay more, have arguably the best GM in the game right now, and our farm system still has players the likes of Hermida, Stokes, Bazardo, Olson, Willingham. I'd say we are in good shape for the future.

488631[/snapback]

Like I said in another thread, I think most of the distress from Friday has died down because it was mostly thanks to irrational interpretation of the trade due to the attachment we had for Hee Seop and Brad.

Guest Juanky

I hope they keep these players they traded for beyond this year. If not, someone next year will try to rape us on a deal like LA did when we traded them Encarnacion.

488640[/snapback]

Why was that deal a rape? We weren't going to have Enc return regardless, we turned him (and Redman) into something when there was nothing.

Guest Juanky

One of the good things that I just recently found out on a MLB salary site is that Conine only makes 250,000 next year so that gives us extra wiggle room to sign the approritate players back.

488661[/snapback]

only 250 G's? That can't be right.

Sure it's not 2.5 Mil?

Both Lo Duca and Mota are due arbitration which means big raises which means the marlins might not be able to afford them. If other teams know that we HAVE to trade someone, we will be at a negotiating disadvantage and will get less in any trade just like the LA encarnacion trade from the beggininng of the season that netted us only minor leaguer Travis Ezi.

One of the good things that I just recently found out on a MLB salary site is that Conine only makes 250,000 next year so that gives us extra wiggle room to sign the approritate players back.

488661[/snapback]

Sure it's not 2.5 Mil?

488679[/snapback]

Well according to this site DugoutDollars.

He makes 4.75 million this year and 250,000 in 2005.

Heres the link

Link

im confident we can keep loduca and mota. we save lots of money from conines contract only being 250 K and the fact that we might not keep benitez and use mota as the closer.also the fact we dont have to pay penny. all we gotta do is sign back pavs,mota,loduca. loduca and mota being arbitration eligable.

Guest Juanky

488661[/snapback]

Sure it's not 2.5 Mil?

488679[/snapback]

Heres the link

Link

488699[/snapback]

$4.75m option in 2005

488661[/snapback]

Sure it's not 2.5 Mil?

488679[/snapback]

Heres the link

Link

488699[/snapback]

$4.75m option in 2005

488723[/snapback]

Holy crap.

I didnt see that, my bad.

It could be a team option with the buyout being 250,000 but it probably is a player option.

Well that sucks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.