My last trade idea of the year

NirvanaNole

Obviously the biggest complication is Delgado to stop being Admin Walker 2 and get some competitive balls in order to waive his no trade clause. Assuming he'd do this (big assumption, I know), I figure we have two ways to get it done depending on how much salary we could eat of his.

1. Trade some prospects (not top ones like Stokes) and have Toronto pick up all of his remaining contract.

OR

2. Trade Enc and some prospects and pick up some of his contract for this year.

Delgado has been demanding a contract extension to okay a trade, but perhaps he's now living in reality and realized his rejections have given him a bad rep for his impending free agency run. He's had a terrible year and could use fresh finish that potentially puts him in the playoffs. He's hit very well recently and appears to be back to the Delgado of old after coming off the DL.

He is a Spanish player so I assume he'd rather play in FL than freakin' Toronto!

Toronto is going no where and I'm sure they'd love to get some prospects for him. I doubt they'll offer him arbitration. With the rate he's going, he'd accept it and become overpaid like Maddox was for the Braves last year.

1. Pierre

2. Castillo

3. Lo Duca

4. Lowell

5. Cabrera

6. Delgado

7. Conine

8. Gonzo

I think that lineup could put us over the top and overtake either the Braves or win the wild card.

It all depends on Delgado's mindset, but I think both teams would love to do the deal.

And yes, I've been drinking. No need to ask that question when a poster thinks this post is asinine. :hat

It was Walker or bust. And now 7 games out, you don't throw all your eggs in this basket, figuring this team will still be intact start of next year and better with the additions of chad fox and spooney barger, just minus probably Armando, everyone else is under contract and I don't think they'll jetison another catcher. Maybe try and unload Encarnacion, but that would be hard.

1.? Trade some prospects (not top ones like Stokes) and have Toronto pick up all of his remaining contract.

500117[/snapback]

:lol :lol :lol

How the hell would we do that?

500119[/snapback]

I doubt anyone would claim Delgado off waivers now that LA has a first baseman. We'd then ship "players to be named later." Have you not watched the news tonight and seen how Walker was traded? :p

Seriously, which contender needs a first baseman and have the financial means to claim him off waivers????

1.? Trade some prospects (not top ones like Stokes) and have Toronto pick up all of his remaining contract.

500117[/snapback]

500119[/snapback]

I doubt anyone would claim Delgado off waivers now that LA has a first baseman. We'd then ship "players to be named later." Have you not watched the news tonight and seen how Walker was traded? :p

Seriously, which contender needs a first baseman and have the financial means to claim him off waivers????

500126[/snapback]

I promise you the Rockies are going to be getting some nice prospects, and the Rockies didn't pay all of Walker's contract. You are asking Toronto to pick up all of Delgado's contract and he's making more money than Walker.

500117[/snapback]

500119[/snapback]

500126[/snapback]

I promise you the Rockies are going to be getting some nice prospects, and the Rockies didn't pay all of Walker's contract. You are asking Toronto to pick up all of Delgado's contract and he's making more money than Walker.

500132[/snapback]

There is a HUGE difference in Delgado and Walker, my friend. Colorado could have kept Walker for next year. St. Louis wouldn't have given up nearly what they did had Walker been a free agent.

Toronto is in a much different situation. IMO, there is no way in hell they'll offer Delgado arbitration and end up like the Braves did with Maddox. They'll let Delgado leave with NO compensation this year. They won't make the playoffs and his contract is dead weight that they're already paying. Getting a couple decent prospects is better than nothing.

500117[/snapback]

500119[/snapback]

500126[/snapback]

500132[/snapback]

There is a HUGE difference in Delgado and Walker, my friend. Colorado could have kept Walker for next year. St. Louis wouldn't have given up nearly what they did had Walker been a free agent.

Toronto is in a much different situation. IMO, there is no way in hell they'll offer Delgado arbitration and end up like the Braves did with Maddox. They'll let Delgado leave with NO compensation this year. They won't make the playoffs and his contract is dead weight that they're already paying. Getting a couple decent prospects is better than nothing.

500137[/snapback]

Walker being signed through next year probably hurt his trade value. He makes a lot of money next year, and that's a lot of money to put into a player that gets hurt frequently.

500117[/snapback]

500119[/snapback]

500126[/snapback]

500132[/snapback]

500137[/snapback]

Walker being signed through next year probably hurt his trade value. He makes a lot of money next year, and that's a lot of money to put into a player that gets hurt frequently.

500143[/snapback]

I couldn't disagree with you more on that point. Any team is willing to dump a star player (both are draws in their local area) that will leave as a free agent that year that they can't receive compensation for rather than paying him the rest of the year and getting nothing in return. Neither are players that any team in its right mind would offer arbitration to.

I guess we'll disagree on that issue.

I still want him. :thumbup

I couldn't disagree with you more on that point. Any team is willing to dump a star player (both are draws in their local area) that will leave as a free agent that year that they can't receive compensation for rather than paying him the rest of the year and getting nothing in return. Neither are players that any team in its right mind would offer arbitration to.

I still want him. :thumbup

500148[/snapback]

If it were any other player I would agree with you, but with Walker you don't want to invest that kind of money into a player with the medical history he has.

I couldn't disagree with you more on that point.? Any team is willing to dump a star player (both are draws in their local area) that will leave as a free agent that year that they can't receive compensation for rather than paying him the rest of the year and getting nothing in return.? Neither are players that any team in its right mind would offer arbitration to.?

I still want him.? :thumbup

500148[/snapback]

If it were any other player I would agree with you, but with Walker you don't want to invest that kind of money into a player with the medical history he has.

500152[/snapback]

Depends on the team, IMO. The Cards are one of the few teams that have the offensive depth to take that chance for two years. If Walker is healthy, he's a .300 30+ HR guy.

His history doesn't scare me as much as it does some. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, though.

Signed - Mr. Jessica Alba :D

P.S. Time for another beer :lol

No Delgado

500135[/snapback]

You're such a confusing youngster. :lol

You don't like Penny or Beckett and now have no use for Delgado. You confuse me young fellow. :blink:

500153[/snapback]

Delgado is not a winner, why would you want him?

500154[/snapback]

Delgado or Enc. Hmm, such a hard choice. :mischief2

Enc. is streaky, all we have to do is get him on one of those 13-20 tears he goes on before going 3-50.? Maybe the Fish can get a Bautista off or waivers. But I think they are standing pat unless we go on a 10-2 tear before the 31st.

500160[/snapback]

I don't watch the wavier wire like the teams, but I'd be shocked if he was put on waivers and not snatched up by a team. The DBacks would pull him and no trade will happen. He isn't an option, IMO.

A quality lefty? Why we have Perisho! :shifty

Maybe get Oliver back? :thumbdown

How about calling up Tejera? :mad :

But Tejera can pinch hit too! :mischief2

Naw, still can't pitch though. :confused

JP has a heck of an arm on him, teach him to pitch. :thumbup

Enc. is streaky, all we have to do is get him on one of those 13-20 tears he goes on before going 3-50. Maybe the Fish can get a Bautista off or waivers. But I think they are standing pat unless we go on a 10-2 tear before the 31st.

500160[/snapback]

I don't watch the wavier wire like the teams, but I'd be shocked if he was put on waivers and not snatched up by a team. The DBacks would pull him and no trade will happen. He isn't an option, IMO.

500163[/snapback]

From my understanding, hitters are not snatched up like pitchers are. Teams are afraid they'd get stuck with the extra player and payroll.

Delgado doesnt want to be traded.

makes alot of sense(about him not wanting to leave Canadia, not your idea)

:plain

500169[/snapback]

"That Carlos Delgado turned down trades to contenders did not sit well through the industry, ESPN.com's Peter Gammons reported."

Maybe he watches Baseball Tonight and will realize he screwed up. :mischief2

I know he probably won't okay it, but perhaps between his agent's advice (assuming he has a competent one) and all the bad press will make him realize he should okay a trade for his rep. Not to mention most of those teams that were trying to trade for him do not have the local Latino appeal that Miami does. I can dream, anyway. :lol

I don't think our lineup is good enough to overtake the Braves or the WC. Having three spots that can't hit over .240 is pathetic!

Enc. is streaky, all we have to do is get him on one of those 13-20 tears he goes on before going 3-50.? Maybe the Fish can get a Bautista off or waivers. But I think they are standing pat unless we go on a 10-2 tear before the 31st.

500160[/snapback]

500163[/snapback]

From my understanding, hitters are not snatched up like pitchers are. Teams are afraid they'd get stuck with the extra player and payroll.

500171[/snapback]

That's correct. But Bautista is cheap. He doesn't have a huge contract like Admin Walker or Delgado.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.