Kudos to Colorado

Flying_Mollusk

Colorado has certified the "Electoral College Reform Initiative" for the ballot in November, better known as the "Make Your Vote Count" proposal. If this initiative passes, effective with this election the electoral votes will be distributed according to the percentage of the popular vote in Colorado rather than the usual winner-take-all format.

Hopefully this passes and is a harbinger of future electoral college reform.

Colorado has certified the "Electoral College Reform Initiative" for the ballot in November, better known as the "Make Your Vote Count" proposal. If this initiative passes, effective with this election the electoral votes will be distributed according to the percentage of the popular vote in Colorado rather than the usual winner-take-all format.

Hopefully this passes and is a harbinger of future electoral college reform.

515351[/snapback]

That could be a great idea!

Have you considered what the impact on campaign spending and lengths of campaigning is when every state has electoral votes in play?

Seems to me elections would become dramatically more expensive and campaigns much longer.

515363[/snapback]

You bring up a good point, but at the same thing I think this is a good idea.

I live in Illinois, and as a Republican, my vote for President will pretty much NEVER count since this state is always going to vote Democrat in the Presidential election.

I think this is a great idea, and I hope this proposal passes in Colorado, and eventually, in Illinois, so everybody's vote actually does count.

The problem with a "finer granularity" (which is all this really is) is it invites Gerrymandering on a massive scale. We could see redistricting on a regular basis trying to swing a small majority for the most districts.

515653[/snapback]

I was under the impression that with the Colorado thing, the electoral votes were allocated via percentage of votes.

Guest Juanky

this move scares me.

515546[/snapback]

Agreed

515715[/snapback]

Why?

516154[/snapback]

For reasons already stated.....Because of the possibility of even bigger debacles (yeah, I'm pretty sure I spelled that wrong) in elections.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.