Publicly financed stadiums

Flying_Mollusk

In light of the Marlins possibly getting a partially publically financed stadium, I was wondering how some of you view this taking into account your own views on governmental spending in general. I know some critisize spending on social programs as either be a bad solution or being unecessary at all. This isnt a loaded question either. Id like to get people's views on this. Ive been critisized by my no sports friends when I get excited about the Marlins getting financings as they say that money should go elsewhere. Which, in light of my political views, is hard to respond to.

I for one doubt the argument that these stadiums do a lot economics wise.

Wow. Stadiums are huge investments, but if planned properly there are no boundaries to what can come from them. Civic pride and economic impact being the two biggest positives. Not only sporting events, but concerts, expos, etc. can take place there. The surrounding hotels and businesses get a boost from a stadium, and during big events even surrounding cities will be boosted economically. Stadiums are great and can be counted as a 'social program' if you ask me.

Plus, people in the community can even make a profit by buying revenue bonds from the local government. It's a win/win situation if the stadium is planned properly.

A retrospective analysis isnt usually the problem though. Of course if the investment turns out fine then it was worth it but if it isnt, then it wasnt. Im asking whether cities and counties should take those risks in the first place. The argument could be made that anything, if planned correctly, is a good investment. But whether something is planned correctly is again, usually in issue of hindsight.

As far as the effect goes, I wonder how true it really is and how much of it is simple theory that could be aligned properly. I know economists write about how the effect of a sports stadium economically is simply overrated. Do you guys know of any studies that back up the argument?

I for one just dont agree with the argument that it boosts city growth. You could make the same argument for publically financing any private enterprise. The only reason sports gets away with it is because we are all so into it.

And as far as the Performing Arts Center goes, Im amazed that you would call it silly. You cant consider Miami to be a forward moving city if it backtracks on the arts.

Like furman and juanky, Im simply not sure how I feel. I love the Marlins and want them to be a competitve financially viable team. If any team needs a stadium, clearly its the Marlins. But we are all wearing rose colored glasses too.

and a new stadium definately rejuvenates an area

I dont think that necessarily true. The White Sox built US Cellular on the south side of Chicago and I wouldnt say it has rejuvinated that neighborhood.

521993[/snapback]

Actually it has, at least in the Bridgeport area (the immediate area around the ballpark).

But your point is well taken, a new stadium doesn't make the area great.

Detroit has built a football and baseball stadium downtown the last few years, and downtown Detroit still is as bad an area as there is in this country.

Its an interesting area to judge because, and correct me if Im wrong, but the whole downtown revitilazition is really moving south. There is a lot of gentrification going on so its hard to say the stadium itself is having the effect. My GF lives in Bridgeport on S. Wells and we went to a game at night once. When I asked her if we could just walk tehre or take the train, she laughed at me and said we were getting a ride. Of course thats not indicitive of anything but my impressions were formed by it.

Also, Im assuming your a Chicago native then? I LOVE what Chicago has done with the Musuem area, Grant Park, and Millenium Park. During the summer its a fantastic place to take the family and visit. Ive been told my life long Chicago people that that area used to be railyards and pretty unpleasent until the city improved it. They did a great job. My point being, Id like to see Miami do the same which they seem to be trying to do with their waterfront area, though I may be wrong. I wonder if thats a better approach than stadiums since everyone can enjoy it.

Actually it isnt really moving south. Along US-1 theres revitilizaiton projects going as far north as 79th St. The biscayne bay area around 62st which has of late been somewhat of a slum is now moving up with the creation of new hotels on the bay, new restaurants, including a starbucks. I think miami is doing a lot with its image and a baseball only complex in downtown defintely will boost the economy and the neighborhood, includign that the residents around the stadium will charge for parking in front of their homes and can also start small businesses on the side as vendors around the stadium area. My politics almost want to disagree with the marlins stadium, but as a marlin fan im torn. I dont believe tax money should be used to help businesses on the other hand my solace is that the stadium will be an eocnomic boost to miami, to the area, and much of this money can be used by city to perform much needed renovations and such

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.