Anyone?

Joe

Yankees contemplate adding Henderson

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

Rickey Henderson

Yankees?

Jun. 24 - With Charles Gipson's propensity for getting picked off, the Yankees have held internal discussions about adding Henderson, Newsday reports. The 44-year-old is playing well for the Newark Bears of the independent Atlantic League (.366, .490 on-base percentage in 39 games). General manager Brian Cashman stressed he has not spoken with Henderson's agent but refused to discount the possibility of bringing him back to the Bronx.

"I'm considering anything that makes sense," Cashman said. "I'm open to anything that makes us better."

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

Gabe Kapler

Rockies

Brewers

Red Sox

Dodgers

Jun. 24 - Kapler, released by the Rockies last week, has reportedly received offers from seven teams and will make his decision by 1 p.m. today, the Denver Post reports. The Brewers have shown the greatest interest in Kapler to this point.

"I do have some major-league offers on the table," Kapler said. "I've got a tough decision to make."

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

Jeff Weaver

Yankees

Pirates

Jun. 22 - As Weaver continues to struggle, the Yankees may be getting ready to ship him out of town. According to the Newark Star-Ledger, the Yankees and Pirates have had several conversations about potential trades recently, and the Pirates are interested in acquiring the 26-year-old, 3-6 with a 5.77 ERA this season. The two players on the Pirates' roster the Yankees covet are outfielder Brian Giles and right-handed pitcher Kris Benson, and one of those players would likely need to be involved if Weaver is to be dealt. New York may be leery about making a move until they're sure Jose Contreras is coming back from his shoulder injury.

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

Rey Sanchez

Mets

?

Jun. 22 - With Jose Reyes playing well since being promoted to the big leagues, Rey Sanchez could be traded within the week, the New York Daily News reports. Sanchez, who is making $1.3 million and likely will only command low-level prospects, may be asked to go on a rehab assignment to showcase him.

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

Carlos Beltran

Royals

Yankees?

Jun. 19 - With financial restraints making it difficult to envision Beltran remaining with the club for 2004, the Royals have accelerated their efforts to trade the center fielder, the Kansas City Star reports. According to the New York Daily News, Yankees GM Brian Cashman met with Royals GM Allard Baird on Tuesday and the two talked about Beltran and pitcher Jason Grimsley. Other teams believed to be interested include the Mets, Dodgers, Orioles, Angels and Rangers.

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

Rondell White

Padres

Marlins

Jun. 20 - The San Diego Union-Tribune cites a report out of Florida that said the Marlins have inquired about White's availability, but Padres GM Kevin Towers told the paper, "We're not ready to move. Nothing is close." The report had White going to Florida in exchange for catcher Ramon Castroand outfielders Abraham Nunez and Todd Hollandsworth. The Padres also are said to be interested in second baseman Luis Castillo.

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

Mark Loretta

Padres

Cubs?

Jun. 20 - Loretta is drawing interest from a number of clubs, reports the San Diego Union-Tribune, and Padres GM Kevin Towers confirmed to the paper the Cubs are one of them. But Towers stressed the team isn't sure it's ready to trade its starting second baseman. "There are more than a few clubs looking for infielders, and look at the way Loretta is hitting, Towers told the paper. "But we need him in our lineup, too."

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

Mike Lowell

Marlins

Dodgers

Cubs

Yankees?

Jun. 25 - Lowell remains on a number of teams' wish lists, but Marlins' general manager Admin Beinfest plans to hold off on any possible move until after the All-Star Game, the Chicago Sun-Times reports. The 29-year-old, who entered Tuesday as the major-league leader in home runs with 23, is all but assured of being selected, and Beinfest wants him wearing a Florida uniform. The Cubs are the likeliest candidates to land the third baseman, but the emergence of former Cub Dontrelle Willis has made general manager Jim Hendry weary about dealing his top pitching prospects.

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

Armando Benitez

Mets

Red Sox

Giants?

Yankees

Jun. 25 - With Jason Isringhausen finally healthy after shoulder surgery, St. Louis is no longer in the market for a closer. According to the New York Post, the Red Sox have moved to the forefront for Benitez. Despite his recent meltdown against the Yankees, they are confident former Mets pitching coach Dave Wallace, now in Boston, could handle the temperamental righty. General manager Theo Epstein, who acquired Byung-Hyun Kim last month, will not necessarily wait until the trade deadline to make a move. The Yankees have also expressed interest in Benitez but Many baseball observers believe he cannot handle a set-up role.

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

Chuck Finley

Red Sox

Astros

Jun. 18 - The Boston Herald reports the Red Sox have been in contact with Finley's agents about bringing the lefthander east but says the pitcher would prefer to play on the west coast. Nevertheless, Boston GM Theo Epstein says he'll stay in touch.

Previously, the Houston Chronicle reported the Astros have interest in signing the 40-year-old. Finley recently rejected an opportunity to re-join the Angels, for whom he pitched for 14 seasons, because the only job Anaheim could offer was in the bullpen. Agent Randy Hendricks told the L.A. Times, "We have other teams clearly interested in Chuck as part of their rotation."

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/5763.jpg

Bartolo Colon

White Sox

Red Sox

Jun. 17 - With the White Sox falling hopelessly out of contention, speculation is that Colon, 6-6 with a 3.99 ERA, will become available in the coming weeks. Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, who refused to part with Casey Fossum and Shea Hillenbrand for Colon over the winter, is now considering a move for the 30-year-old, the Hartford Courant reports.

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/4279.jpg

Tom Gordon

White Sox

Red Sox

Jun. 17 - With Boston in need of bullpen help and Gordon expressing a desire to be a closer again, the Red Sox may be interested in acquiring the 35-year-old, the Boston Herald reports. Gordon, 4-5 with a 3.82 ERA, has been working primarily as a middle reliever and setup man for the White Sox. He pitched for Boston from 1996-1999 and is earning a reasonable base salary of just $1.4 million.

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/5068.jpg

Curtis Leskanic

Brewers

Royals

Jun. 17 - The Kansas City Star reports, the Royals are interested in the veteran reliever, 0-2 with a 3.18 ERA in 22 appearances this season. The major obstacle is Kansas City's unwillingness to pick up about $2.4 million of Leskanic's $3.7 million salary for this season. General manager Allard Baird may try to pull off another trade to create room in the club's payroll structure. One rumored scenario has the Rockies getting involved in a three-way deal that would send Leskanic to the Royals, Gabe Kapler to the Brewers and a minor-league prospect to Colorado.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel confirmed the three teams have spoken "about various combinations of players."

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/5385.jpg

Ugueth Urbina

Rangers

Yankees

Giants

Red Sox

Cardinals

Jun. 13 - The Giants have stepped up their pursuit of Urbina, according to the New York Post, which speculates the increased interest could force the Yankees' hand. However, the San Francisco Chronicle cites sources who say the Giants are ready to deal just yet.

San Francisco, with three young pitching prospects in Kurt Ainsworth (24), Jesse Foppert (22) and Jerome Williams (21), has more to offer Texas in exchange than do the Yankees, who are reluctant to part with left-hander Brandon Claussen or first baseman Nick Johnson.

However, San Francisco doesn't want to absorb Urbina's $4.5 million salary, an issue that wouldn't be a problem for New York. The Yankees reportedly want Texas to take Sterling Hitchcock and are said to be willing to eat much of his $6 million salary.

Both the Cardinals and Red Sox, who let Urbina leave as a free agent last winter, have spoken to Rangers' GM John Hart about Urbina. But Hart told the Dallas Morning News, "We really don't have anything of substance going on right this moment."

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/4189.jpg

Roberto Alomar

Mets

Dodgers

Reds

A's

Red Sox

Jun. 12 - The Mets are more than willing to dump Alomar, whose production has dropped considerably since coming to New York before last season. The Newark Star-Ledger reports that the Dodgers and Reds are the most likely candidates to land Alomar in a trade. Newsday reports Cincinnati is the most interested. There are indications the A's might be in the running as well.

The Mets are probably more interested in dealing with the Dodgers because L.A. is loaded with prospects, including right-hander Edwin Jackson, who is 2-4 with a 2.58 ERA for Double-A Jacksonville. It remains to be seen how much of the remaining $4 million on Alomar's contract the Mets would pick up.

It was reported last week that the Red Sox were interested in sending Todd Walker to the Mets for Alomar. Both players are in the last year of their contracts, but Walker is five years younger and is having a much better season at the plate.

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/5212.jpg

Jose Lima

Newark Bears

Royals

Jun. 11 - With their rotation decimated by injuries, the Royals are pursuing contract talks with Lima, the Kansas City Star reports. The veteran right-hander, 6-1 with a 2.33 ERA in eight starts for the Newark Bears of the independent Atlantic League, is trying to resurrect his career after spending last season with the Tigers. The 30-year-old would likely sign a minor league deal but could get a quick promotion to the majors with the Royals' top three starters on the shelf.

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6039.jpg

Adrian Beltre

Dodgers

Cubs

Diamondbacks

Tigers

Jun. 10 - While the trade specualtion has eased some due to the team's hefty asking price, Beltre remains a candidate to be dealt, the Orange County Register reports. The 24-year-old is mired in another in a series of discouraging slumps in which he has hit just .118 (2 for 17). The Dodgers already have dispatched a scout to Florida to watch Mike Lowell, and it is no secret the Marlins third baseman is coveted by some in the organization. Beltre has expressed a desire to remain in Los Angeles.

"You can't control it," Beltre told the Register. "I don't want it to happen, but if it happens, what are you going to do? I want to play here. I don't want to go somewhere else. But I don't have control over it."

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/5753.jpg

Jose Guillen

Reds

Yankees?

May. 30 - With the Yankees' lineup struggling and Bernie Williams expected to be on the shelf for the next two months, owner George Steinbrenner is reportedly in the market for an outfielder. The Cincinnait Inquirer reports, the Reds would love to deal the talented but temperamental Guillen, who is the odd man out in an outfield featuring Austin Kearns, Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. Cincinnati would likely be seeking a quality arm in return to bolster a dreadful pitching staff.

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/4595.jpg

Dave Hansen

Padres

Yankees

May. 30 - The Yankees would like to add a left-handed hitter to their bench. According to the Newark Star-Ledger, the top candidate appears to be Hansen, whose $550,000 salary, .418 on-base percentage and experience as a pinch hitter intrigue the Yankee brain trust. Others who have been mentioned include Florida's Todd Hollandsworth and Houston's Orlando Merced.

WHO

INTERESTED

THE SKINNY

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/4267.jpg

Curt Schilling

Diamondbacks

Phillies

May. 14 - Rumors persist that Schilling wants to return to Phildelphia, where he spent 8 1/2 seasons. The 36-year old right-hander has previosuly speculated that he'd be dealt by July if Arizona is out of the NL West race. However, the All-Star sounded off against any suggestions that while the Phillies were in Phoenix last week, he tried to plant the seeds for such a trade.

"I'm not going to answer any stupid questions or irrelevant questions." Schilling told the East Valley Tribune.

c/o espn.com

AJ you just dont get the marlins dont need White. And he's to expensive to have in the bench that rumor was before Cabs.

He would be good for our bench. We dont have much power there or much hitting. We could really use him. I dont care if Cabs cme up it has nothing to do with him being there.