Baron Davis

Marlins Phenom

NEW ORLEANS -- The New Orleans Hornets have no intention of trading point guard Baron Davis, whose agent has advised him to consider a trade request, the team said Friday.

Agent Todd Ramasar said late Thursday that he had advised Davis to explore other options besides the Hornets as he considers his future in the NBA.

But in a statement, the team said Davis would not be traded and the organization was surprised by the report because Davis "had been very positive towards the Hornets organization" and its new coach and general manager.

The team said general manager Allen Bristow and owner George Shinn planned to meet with Davis "as soon as possible to make sure that they honor their commitment to doing everything possible to put the best team on the floor to start the 2004-5 season."

In a statement released by his publicist Thursday, Davis said he trusted his agent.

"He has my interest at heart. And I'm prepared for anything at this point. Bottom line, I love the city of New Orleans and the community. I'm just focused to play well in the NBA and I'm getting ready for the season," Davis said.

"It's just a lot of burden to put on a point guard to be so productive," Ramasar said.

In 2001, Davis signed a six-year, $84 million contract extension.

Bristow said that during a talk last week, Ramasar had expressed disappointment with the direction the team has taken.

Ramasar said Davis wasn't pleased by what the Hornets did in free agency. They signed free agents Rodney Rogers and Chris Andersen, but were unsuccessful on attempts to land proven shooting guards Morris Peterson and Stephen Jackson.

Peterson signed a three-year, $15 million offer sheet with the Hornets but the Toronto Raptors matched it.

The Hornets offered a six-year deal, worth about $36 million, to Jackson, but he re-signed with the Atlanta Hawks and then was traded to the Indiana Pacers.

With training camp set to begin next month, the Hornets have not made any major trades.

After the Hornets lost to the Miami Heat in the first round of the playoffs, Hornets owner George Shinn fired Coach Tim Floyd after one season and hired Byron Scott, who had led the New Jersey Nets to two consecutive berths in the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003.

The Hornets drafted high school player J.R. Smith in the first round. Smith played well in the summer league play at Long Beach, Calif.

"I suggested that it may be in Byron's best interest to move on with his career," Ramasar said. "It's nothing against the city of New Orleans or nothing against the organization, it's just what is in Baron's best interest."

Davis averaged a career-high 22.9 points per game last season and was an All-Star selection.

Link

Wouldnt be bad if the Heat gave up Jones and someone else for him.

Let's go get an injury prone, fat, ballhog who jacks up threes without even thinking about it! Baron Davis is an ok player but wouldn't fit on our team. Just because a player wants to get traded every other week doesn't mean the Heat have to go after him. Wade will probably be better next year anyway.

Let's go get an injury prone, fat, ballhog who jacks up threes without even thinking about it! Baron Davis is an ok player but wouldn't fit on our team. Just because a player wants to get traded every other week doesn't mean the Heat have to go after him. Wade will probably be better next year anyway.

541243[/snapback]

I didnt mean it like that. Davis is a stud basketball player. Imagine Shaq+Wade+Davis? That 3-o would be unstopable.

541243[/snapback]

I didnt mean it like that. Davis is a stud basketball player. Imagine Shaq+Wade+Davis? That 3-o would be unstopable.

541245[/snapback]

No, it wouldn't. They all need the ball too much to be good. Throwing a team of all-stars together isn't always a good thing. Baron Davis is still an extremely selfish player for a PG.

541243[/snapback]

541245[/snapback]

No, it wouldn't. They all need the ball too much to be good. Throwing a team of all-stars together isn't always a good thing. Baron Davis is still an extremely selfish player for a PG.

541247[/snapback]

Because noone else in NO is worth giving the ball too.ANd trust me with Shaq he would pass the ball alot more.

Explain to me how the Heat can afford Baron Davis.

Explain to me where Baron Davis actually wants to goto Miami?

Explain to me what the hell is up with all these damn egos in the NBA this summer.

I mean its one thing for Shaq to demand a trade. Now every Tom, Dick and Harry wants a trade.

The Hornets were dumber than dirt to even give Davis a max deal when he is far from a max player.

Davis will get hurt next year. Just like he has gotten hurt every year of his career essentially. And here is the real reason why Baron Davis wants out of New Orleans, besides George Shinn being about as cheap as Donald Sterling. San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets, Memphis Grizzles Baron Davis and the New Orleans Hornets won't sniff the playoffs for years.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.