Close call on Lowell?

Teal Shadow

Like I said yesterday the one team that scared me with Lowell being traded was the Yankees because they'll overpay to get a player. Word late yesterday afternoon was the Rockies, Yankees and Marlins had work out a three-way deal to get Lowell to Colorado not NY. The Rockies in the end killed the deal, its lead to believe that Walker( the player going to NY) killed the deal. The Marlins would have gotten Nick Johnson and a pitcher. Johnson would have replace Cabrera in LF and Cabrera moving to 3B.

Farmer Fran and I would like to remind everyone that the email campaign to get the fish on tv throughout florida continues. if you have a tv station or cable company you would like to target in this campaign, please let us know. If you live in the state of florida and are outside the tampa bay tv market, we can help you. for more info, please click the link in my signature or in farmer fran's signature.

KEEP THOSE EMAILS COMING! THANK YOU :)

Noteworthy: A rumored three-way deal in which Mike Lowell would go to Colorado, outfielder Admin Walker to the Yankees and first baseman Nick Johnson to the Marlins was shot down by Rockies General Manager Dan O'Dowd, who told the Denver Post Wednesday he has no plans to trade Walker

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,3...1478084,00.html

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/conten...dd211a0095.html

That sounds about right. You have to realize that the Marlins have very little leverage when trading Lowell. It's not a secret that they CAN'T keep him, so teams are not going to (or have to) sell their soul to get him.

I've said it before, and yet again here it comes.... The Yankees are the team with the right of first refusal on Lowell, they have too much money. As soon as they address their OF and pitching issues (Benson/Giles?) they'll be on the scent for Mikey.

shot down by Rockies General Manager Dan O'Dowd, who told the Denver Post Wednesday he has no plans to trade Walker

Yea right. With the season Walker is having compared to Lowell, I bet the Marlins or Yanks declined it, so he made it sound like he did.

If he would rather have Admin than Mike he can have him!

It's not a secret that they CAN'T keep him, so teams are not going to (or have to) sell their soul to get him.

yeah but there is still competition between teams trying to get lowell, that is leverage the marlins can use, teams will want to beat eachother out for him true, but the starting price is way lower than say, if the Marlins weren't convinced that they should trade him.

Either way, you can kiss all his postive publicity about the Marlins goodbye as soon as the ink dries on Beinfest's signature, whenever that is.

It's not a secret that they CAN'T keep him, so teams are not going to (or have to) sell their soul to get him.

yeah but there is still competition between teams trying to get lowell, that is leverage the marlins can use, teams will want to beat eachother out for him They all may know that Lowell is on the market (I don't think he's going!) but they all know they are in a big bidding war against each other. The Cubs will call Bienfest and make him an offer, than maybe he tells the Yanks an exagerated offer from the Cubs, so they make a better offer, and around goes the merry go round...

Here's todays article from the Denver Post regarding this rumor:

--------------------

rockies notes

O'Dowd: Walker not going anywhere

By Mike Klis, Denver Post Sports Writer

SAN DIEGO - The buzz back home could be heard from way out here, where the Rockies finished their series Wednesday night against the San Diego Padres, to way out in Oklahoma, where general manager Dan O'Dowd was watching the Double-A Tulsa Drillers.

Admin Walker to the New York Yankees? Relax, everybody.

"We have no plans to revisit that one," O'Dowd said Wednesday. "We tried a move like that over the winter and we don't foresee addressing it again at this point in time. We fully expect Admin to play out his contract with the Colorado Rockies."

The (Newark, N.J.) Star-Ledger received inside information about a lunch Yankees owner George Steinbrenner held this week in Tampa, Fla., with manager Joe Torre and general manager Brian Cashman, among others. Several trade ideas were discussed, including a three-team swap that would send Walker to the Yankees and Florida's slugging third baseman Mike Lowell to the Rockies.

The report made it clear Walker's no-trade clause was a potential hang-up. For starters, the Rockies will not again make the mistake of attempting to trade Walker without clearing it through him first. The Rockies put together a deal last winter that would have sent Walker to the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for Matt Williams, David Dellucci, Bret Prinz and Erubiel Durazo.

Williams and Walker killed the move by enacting their no-trade rights.

"This trade rumor is easy to answer: This is the first I've heard about it, and until someone from the team comes up and talks to me about it, I have no comment about it," Walker said.

There's a reason O'Dowd or manager Clint Hurdle hasn't presented a trade proposal to Walker: The Yankees haven't made a trade proposal to them. The Yankees acquired outfielder Karim Garcia and reliever Dan Miceli from Cleveland on Wednesday, and although they are seeking bigger stars before the July 31 trading deadline, they would probably be wise to put more effort into Pittsburgh's Brian Giles, San Diego's Ryan Klesko or any of the available sluggers from Texas.

"I have not talked to (Cashman) about any of this," O'Dowd said. "That's probably a situation where the Yankees got together and talked about 20 names. I assure you there's been no discussion regarding Admin Walker."

And furthermore

As much as the Rockies would be intrigued by Lowell, a right-handed hitter who entered play Wednesday tied for the major league-lead with 23 homers, third base may be the position - next to first base - where Colorado has the least need.

Besides having Chris Stynes backed up by Mark Bellhorn and Greg Norton on the big-league roster, the Rockies' top minor-league position player, Garret Atkins, is likely to assume the third-base job next year.

Now if the Yankees, who would like to acquire a proven closer and make him their eighth-inning setup man to Mariano Rivera, want to have an extended conversation with the Rockies, they can always inquire about Jose Jimenez, whose $3.2 million salary and 69 baserunners allowed in 35 innings makes him expendable.

Denver Post - Admin Walker's not going anywhere

Fillet Brain I was starting to like BUT I should be careful with non-Marlins fans as yourself

"Either way, you can kiss all his postive publicity about the Marlins goodbye as soon as the ink dries on Beinfest's signature, whenever that is."

Your right in the end they might not be able to keep Lowell but they(ownership) are realizing, I guess as much as fans want Lowell to stay they are not showing it by going to the playpark. So they'll go the route to improve in other areas by trading there best asset to improve the overall team and try to become a better team. :confused

Yes, I know that the Marlins are trying to become a better overall team. I've maintained all along (much to the dismay of almost everyone else here) that the Marlins have to trade lowell to maintain any semblence of competitiveness.

But, for a second, imagine the attitude of SoFl if the trade outlined above would of occured. You think potential fans in SoFL would of wetted themselves in anticipation of the arrival of Nick Johnson? I can hear the turnstiles now.....Cricket, cricket, cricket.....

Yes, I know that the Marlins are trying to become a better overall team. I've maintained all along (much to the dismay of almost everyone else here) that the Marlins have to trade lowell to maintain any semblence of competitiveness.

But, for a second, imagine the attitude of SoFl if the trade outlined above would of occured. You think potential fans in SoFL would of wetted themselves in anticipation of the arrival of Nick Johnson? I can hear the turnstiles now.....Cricket, cricket, cricket.....

I would put Nick Johnson at 1st and get rid of DLee...

turnstiles aren't turning much even with this team playing .500 ball. bottomline is this team has to become better in other areas. You have a very good 3B prospect and very good All-Star ML 3B. As much as I want Lowell to stay it for the better of this team now and in the future. This is why I'm on Beinfest BIGTIME because this next month and half is HUGE.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.