Is "colored" appropriate to say?

Dodge

As a black person, I'd probably punch someone in the throat if they called me "colored". Black is the best way to describe black people. African-American is just not cool. The term bothers me for some reason.

98% of my friends are black, and reffering to them as colored or african american is not really necessary, black people would be fine to say.

how many people do you know who refer to white people as Caucasian?

shouldnt describe people by there race anyway

:plain

569603[/snapback]

Quote of the day. Who cares?

I call them the n-word anyways because that's what they call each other. I want to be in the club. Unfortunately, the only dues I've paid to be in this illustrious group is that I've gotten my butt kicked.

Seriously, who the hell says colored? That's so funny to me on so many levels. I guess there's no race problem in American at all... :whistle

98% of my friends are black, and reffering to them as colored or african american is not really necessary, black people would be fine to say.

how many people do you know who refer to white people as Caucasian?

shouldnt describe people by there race anyway

:plain

569603[/snapback]

Quote of the day. Who cares?

I call them the n-word anyways because that's what they call each other. I want to be in the club. Unfortunately, the only dues I've paid to be in this illustrious group is that I've gotten my butt kicked.

Seriously, who the hell says colored? That's so funny to me on so many levels. I guess there's no race problem in American at all... :whistle

569605[/snapback]

Lots of people still say it. Believe me the poor, backwards South still has a way to go. A bunch of small towns around Gainesville still have problems with segregation in restaurants that are just now getting solved because the black people were to afraid to say anything. I grew up with it.

I've haven't had a problem with someone calling me "colored". It's much better hearing that then the n-word. My own grandma still refer to colored to decribe herself. I guess I always seen everyone as colored, so that's why I haven't had a problem with it.

I really don't like being called African-American. I'd much rather hear someone say Black. It's just weird to me to hear people refer to Black people refered as African-American. Sometimes I say I'm Afro-American, but usually it's when I'm sporting an afro puff-lol

All in all, I say Black is the best term to decribe us. Colored is okay with me, but you won't get away with it a lot of the time with other people.

African American is cheapening, IMO. I think it shows that blacks aren't fully integrated into society, almost like an immigrant or something. I dunno why I have such a disdain for the word.

African American is cheapening, IMO. I think it shows that blacks aren't fully integrated into society, almost like an immigrant or something. I dunno why I have such a disdain for the word.

570042[/snapback]

I don't really like it because it's like, we don't call white people European Americans. I hardly ever hear the term Caucasian used. As a matter of fact a lot of my friend who are white didn't even know what the term really ment and they thought it was offensive. So I see it, if they can be called White people, we can be called Black people instead of African Americans. Most Black people I know much rather be called "Black" than "African American".

570042[/snapback]

I don't really like it because it's like, we don't call white people European Americans. I hardly ever hear the term Caucasian used. As a matter of fact a lot of my friend who are white didn't even know what the term really ment and they thought it was offensive. So I see it, if they can be called White people, we can be called Black people instead of African Americans. Most Black people I know much rather be called "Black" than "African American".

570061[/snapback]

:notworthy

I never understood "African-Americans". We're just Americans. No one, minus the Native Americans, are actually native americans. Just keep it at "Americans"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.