High School Football

Wild Card

Seven years ago the high school I went to junior and senior year at suffered one of its most embarassing losses ever. For homecoming they invited a team in the lowest division who had lost 20 consectutive games, and were beaten... badly. Tonight Richard Montgomery High enacted revenge with a 34-7 win over those punks.

This was the first HS football game I've been to in a while. The girls did not look like that when I was in school. Right? Or act like that like that (ie, giving lap dances to friends)? Right? I need a cold shower.

GO CENTENNIAL EAGLES!!!

'Total team win' clinches playoff berth

Quarterback Mike Vantil completes 14 of 17 passes for 229 yards and two touchdowns.

By Bob Pacitti

staff writer

October 30, 2004

PORT ST. LUCIE ? The only thing St. Lucie West Centennial didn't game-plan perfectly at South County Regional Stadium Friday night was its halftime show.

Other than that, Centennial was flawless in executing a 59-0 District 14-4A victory over Port St. Lucie. The win earned Centennial a state playoff berth.

Centennial was flagged 15 yards to open the second half for halftime festivities that took too long. But by that time the Eagles had built a 23-0 lead and the Jaguars spent most of the second half turning the ball over that led directly to Centennial touchdowns.

"It was a total team win tonight, defensively we were clicking on that side of the ball, too," Centennial coach Jim O'Neal said. "They were giving us a short field. We got to play everybody tonight and right now they're excited about going back and dancing with their dates for tonight."

The Eagles defense picked off three passes, recovered a fumble and blocked a punt that all led to touchdowns as Centennial increased its series lead to 6-0 over Port St. Lucie.

With the victory, Centennial improved to 4-1 overall and in district play. Port St. Lucie fell to 0-5, 0-4.

Jaguars coach Doug Means had no intention of discussing the game against Centennial with his team after the loss.

"I'm just going to address Okeechobee with them," Means said. "I'm not worried about this game, they are a great team and we're going to talk about Okeechobee."

The Eagles were led by quarterback Mike Vantil who was 14-for-17 for 229 yards and two touchdowns. Vantil connected on his first eight passes and by the time he threw his 10th, the Eagles had built a 20-0 lead.

Port St. Lucie quarterback Anthony Gardenhigh kept firing passes in the second half, but with little success. Gardenhigh leads the Treasure Coast in passing, but his first two attempts in the third quarter were intercepted and eventually turned into touchdowns for a 38-0 Eagles lead.

"I made some bad calls, three bad calls, and they really hurt us," Means said. "But they have one of the best defenses in the area."

Centennial used several different offensive formations in the game ? its base winged-T and also lined up in the I-formation and spread offense

"We're looking at getting better for the playoffs," O'Neal said. "We want people to know that when you play Centennial you can't load the box because we're going to throw on you."

It all worked as they averaged more than 9 yards per carry. Wingback Greg Shinego only ran the ball four times, but three resulted in touchdown runs of 19, 19 and 20 yards. Shinego led all rushers with 71 yards.

Meanwhile, the Eagles' defense held Port St. Lucie to 16 yards rushing and 35 yards passing.