High School Football

Wild Card

Here are two articles on my school's season opener in Dwyer last night:

Sun-Sentinal:

Dwyer runs over, through Boca

By Dave Heeren

-- Ross Devonport Staff Writer

Posted September 24 2004

Palm Beach Gardens? Speed isn't the only good quality of the Dwyer football team. The Panthers put on a display of tackle-breaking power to defeat Boca Raton 48-17 on Thursday night.

The Panthers (2-0) set the tone on their first play from scrimmage. Tailback Chris May ran to his left, cut back to the inside and broke several tackles on his way to a 40-yard touchdown run.

After that, it was a combination of May's power and elusiveness and the determination of the Dwyer receivers. They caught short passes from Panther quarterback Steve Austin and turned most of them into long gains by running over and through Bobcat defenders.

By halftime, Austin had completed 7 of 8 for 124 yards -- most of the yardage coming after short receptions -- and the Panthers led 21-10.

On one of the best plays of the game, Austin threw a short pass to Jae McFadden, who bulled his way through most of the Bobcat team for 28 yards and a touchdown. That gave Dwyer a 14-0 lead, and the Panthers were never challenged after that.

It was more of the same in the second half. May started it off with a 2-yard touchdown run. Even though he was removed from the game after the third quarter, May totaled 125 yards on 13 carries.

Austin threw sparingly in the second half, completing 4 of 6, including a 28-yard touchdown pass to Brett Hamlin. For the game, Austin went 11 for 14 for 195 yards and two touchdowns.

Boca Raton quarterback Cody Clinton also had a good game, even though he was under pressure most of the time by the quick Dwyer defense.

Clinton was still throwing until three minutes left in the game, completing 16 of 34 for 267 yards and two touchdowns. He led Sherman Lang perfectly on a 35-yard touchdown pass in the second quarter and threw a 20-yard TD pass to Cameron Abdallah in the fourth quarter after Dwyer had built a 42-10 lead.

A touchdown pass from Austin to Hamlin completed the scoring late in the fourth quarter.

For Boca Raton (0-1), it was a predictably sloppy game. Obviously rusty after not having played in three weeks because of hurricane-forced postponements and cancellations, the Bobcats fumbled the ball three times. They lost two of the three, including one that was returned 50 yards for a touchdown by Matt Speed. Boca Raton also was assessed 125 yards on 10 penalties.

Boca News:

Boca Loses District Opener to Dwyer

By Josh Clinton

In their first game of the 2004 regular season, the Boca Raton Bobcat football team (0-1) lost its opener, 48-17, at Dwyer (2-0) Thursday night.

Boca opened the game going three and out, immediately attempting to confuse their opponent with a fake punt that was directly snapped to fullback Paul Baker. Baker gained nine yards on the run, one short of the first down for the Bobcats? first of several turnovers of the night.

On Dwyer?s first offensive play of the game, running back Chris May broke free for a 40 yard touchdown run.

?Chris is a special player,? said Panthers head coach Jack Daniels. ?He was our team MVP last season, and he?s one of the most competitive guys out there.?

May would finish the night with 130 yards and two touchdowns.

Dwyer held the lead for the rest of the game, taking advantage of four Boca turnovers, two of which were fumbles on back-to-back drives in the fourth quarter from Baker and running back Cleveland Hankerson..

?Penalties and turnovers killed us,? said Bobcat head coach Rick Swain. ?We kept giving them good field position, which gave them good momentum. We know where we screwed up.?

Perhaps the most interesting thing about the game was the duel between two of Palm Beach County?s top quarterbacks, Steve Austin and Cody Clinton. Austin, a senior, was virtually flawless through the air, connecting for twelve completions with two touchdowns and 171 yards, as well as running for a touchdown. Clinton, a junior, passed for 275 yards and two touchdowns in his first regular season start for the Bobcats. Neither player threw an interception.

?[Austin] played incredible,? Clinton conceded after the Bobcats stunning defeat. ?I was in a situation where we had to pass to stay in the game. The stats don?t matter, the score does.?

Wide receiver Sherman Lang was Boca?s biggest standout of the night. The junior accumulated 160 yards and a touchdown on eight receptions, as well as 10 yards on two rushes.

?It was all Cody and our line. If it wasn?t for them I couldn?t do that stuff,? Lang said. ?I just go out, play, and do what I do.?

The Bobcats first points came in the second quarter, when Lang made a fantastic catch down the sideline on a great pass from Clinton. The throw traveled over the head of one defender and right through another, leading Lang perfectly down the sideline for a 36-yard score. Nick DiMauro followed with a 30-yard field goal later in the quarter to make it 21-10. Junior wide receiver Cameron Abdallah scored the final points for Boca on a 20-yard touchdown catch over the middle late in the fourth quarter.

Weather permitting, the Bobcats will face Olympic Heights Monday in an attempt to make up a previously missed game.

?I don?t want to make excuses for these guys, but they haven?t played in four weeks,? said Swain. ?[Next game] we?re going to coach better, and they?re going to play better. That?s the bottom line.?

hey Josh, how's the River team?

:plain

570497[/snapback]

This year, I coud see them going .500, but they could just as easily end up a few above or below. Best season in a few years, basically.

Lake Worth is 2-0 :thumbup

but we have Dwyer on Monday (make-up game) :(

We were supposed to play Olympic Heights monday, but no school... you guys get to prepare for Dwyer a little longer. Take it from someone who saw a great team get murdered by Dwyer: their offense is absolutely dominating.

i love it when you got your brother writing an article for you.? shows objectiveness.? Josh just got the job so he can spam up his brothers name as much as possible for college recruits. lovin it

576390[/snapback]

Hey, if I can use my position to help my brother out, why wouldn't I?

Granted, he had the best game of any South Florida quarterback this year, and is ranked third in passing yards in the county after one game, while the two guys ahead of him (Steve Austin and Jarret Brown; both seniors) have played two games already and barely or don't even have 100 more yards.

i love it when you got your brother writing an article for you.? shows objectiveness.?? Josh just got the job so he can spam up his brothers name as much as possible for college recruits. lovin it

576390[/snapback]

Hey, if I can use my position to help my brother out, why wouldn't I?

Granted, he had the best game of any South Florida quarterback this year, and is ranked third in passing yards in the county after one game, while the two guys ahead of him (Steve Austin and Jarret Brown; both seniors) have played two games already and barely or don't even have 100 more yards.

577336[/snapback]

close brothers in the day become close enemies in the night

Richard Montgomery 14, Springbrook 7. My alta mater RM smacked down the beast of the east. Huge win thanks to West Virginia and Marshall recruit Steve Weedon. They're now 3-2 (edit 2-3) with 5 games left on the schedule. 4 that they should be favored in before hosting the defending league champion.

Watkins Mill 20, Walter Johnson 14. OK, more people come out for Walter Johnson's golf team than football, but whatever. My former teacher and baseball coach got his first Varisty win.

Wheaton 23, Bethesda-CC 20 (OT) OH YEAH!!! Wheaton, whose school district I've live in most my life, is now 3-2! That's one more win than expected.

• 2 weeks later...

Lang's three TDs lift Boca Raton.

By Argenis Fradique

Special to The Palm Beach Post

Saturday, October 09, 2004

BOCA RATON ? Sherman Lang had 123 all-purpose yards and scored three touchdowns as Boca Raton routed Park Vista 55-0 Friday night.

Lang scored on TD receptions of 38 and 17 yards and a 38-yard run for the Bobcats on Homecoming night.

Boca Raton (1-1) had little trouble moving the ball on the Cobras, scoring on four of its first five possessions.

On one drive, the Bobcats went 90 yards on just two plays. Ira Lee Mosley ran 52 yards and Lang followed with a 38-yard TD reception from quarterback Cody Clinton.

Park Vista (0-3) struggled from the start, turning over the ball four times. Three turnovers led to Boca Raton points.

Paul Baker led Boca with 73 yards rushing and scored the Bobcats' first touchdown on a 3-yard run shortly after a Park Vista fumble. Cleveland Hankerson also scored a first-half touchdown on a 39-yard run to lift Boca to a 27-0 halftime lead.

In the second half, Lang scored on a 38-yard run and a 17-yard catch from Clinton.

Clinton was 5-of-9 for 132 yards passing and two touchdowns but it was Boca's 332 yards rushing that wore the Cobras down.

Admin Thompson scored two late TDs for the Bobcats to make it 55-0.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bobcats dominant

?

Published Saturday, October 9, 2004 by Adam Klein

The Bobcats (1-1) ran all over Park Vista amassing 308 yards on just 29 carries led by Paul Baker?s 75 yards on eight carries and a touchdown. Also pacing Boca High was wingback Sherman Lang who had 56 yards on two receptions and 50 yards on two runs while scoring three touchdowns.

?We have many formations that keep teams off balance with our running game,? Boca Raton head coach Rick Swain said. ?We have a terrific running back in Paul Baker to lead the way and we are coming together as a team.?

Baker got the Bobcats off early with a 3-yard touchdown run less than four minutes into the game. Prior to the touchdown, Baker ripped off a 33-yard run to put the ?Cats in scoring position. It was all Boca Raton from that point on as they led 27-0 at halftime.

The Park Vista Cobras (0-3) are in the midst of the first year of their football program. They are led by former Pope John Paul II coach Terry Gough who spent 10 years roaming the sidelines at Pope John Paul II. Despite the lopsided loss and his team?s slow start, coach Gough has nothing but praise for his young team.

??I like that they didn?t quit at all during the game,? Gough said. ?We?re trying to build on anything positive and taking baby steps, which is what you need to do with a young team. They are learning and getting better every week.

Gough?s Cobras were able to do some damage on the ground against the Bobcat defense totaling 130 yards with a consistent attack that finished the night with 39 attempts. While the total rushing yards is a positive for Park Vista, the average per rush ? 3.3 ? will put a smile on coach Swain?s face as his defense limited the Cobras to a grand total of 164 yards, and only 34 through the air.

?We have three defensive packages that we use and ended up using 33 different kids on defense in the first half alone,? Swain said. ?They were swarming and playing hard all night.?

Boca High quarterback Cody Clinton had a spectacular night passing the ball as he completed 6-of-9 passes for 123 yards and two touchdowns.

The Bobcats will travel all the way to play Port St. Lucie High School for their second district game Monday night.

boca raton 55, park vista 0

Score by quarters

PVH 0 0 0 0 ? 0

BRH 21 6 21 7 ? 55

Scoring Summary

First quarter

BRH - Baker 3 run (DiMauro kick), 8:18

BRH - Benson 39 run (DiMauro kick), 5:49

BRH - Hughes 18 run (DiMauro kick), 2:08

Second quarter

BRH - Lang 39 pass from Clinton (kick failed), 5:05

Third quarter

BRH - Lang 38 run (DiMauro kick), 4:39

BRH - Lang 17 pass from Clinton (DiMauro kick), 3:40

BRH - Thompson 3 run (DiMauro kick), :59

Fourth quarter

BRH - Thompson 9 run (DiMauro kick), 7:20

PVH BRH

First downs 11 18

Rushes-yards 39-130 29-308

Passing 34 123

Comp-Att-Int 4-9-1 6-9-0

Punts-Avg 3-36.7 2-31.5

Fumbles-Lost 4-3 1-1

Pen-Yards 5-37 5-50

Individual Statistics

Rushing: PVH: Moses 11-45, Breen 13-34, Santalo 9-30; BRH: Baker 8-75, Lang 2-50, Hughes 6-40

Passing: PVH: Breen 4-9-1 34; BRH: Clinton 6-9-0 123

Receiving: PVH: Clawson 2-26, Strainge 1-5, Santalo 1-3; BRH: Lang 2-56, DiMauro 2-43, Benson 2-24

________________________________________________________________________________

We have a make up game tonight against Port St. Lucie. Quarterback Cody Clinton needs just 127 yards to be leading Palm Beach County in passing yards, while wide receiver Sherman Lang needs just 3 yards to lead, and with a big game could create some distance between himself and the rest of the county in yards.

:thumbup

Lake Worth earning opponents' respect

By Steve Dorsey

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, October 10, 2004

It's been a long time since the word "undefeated" was mentioned in the same sentence as the Lake Worth football team at this point of the season.

Even though the Trojans have had three games postponed the first half of the season because of hurricanes, Lake Worth's 3-0 record is a significant step toward respectability returning to a once-proud program.

Lake Worth's 22-0 win Friday night against Palm Beach Central marks the first time in recent history that the Trojans have started a season 3-0. That already exceeds last season's two wins, and Trojans first-year coach and Lake Worth graduate Errick Lowe said he considers this week's homecoming game against district rival Santaluces as the "biggest game on the schedule."

Granted, Lake Worth's wins have not been against any powerhouse teams, but when a program has only won seven times in the past four seasons, a 3-0 start is reason to get excited regardless how it was accomplished.

"I'm not able to put my finger on it just yet," Lowe said. "But we've got a great group of kids, and to me, it's just the attitude.

"They see now that we're capable of winning. Winning becomes contagious, and hopefully we've caught the bug. I think after next Friday night, everybody might start to realize that Lake Worth is coming back."

Lowe also said Saturday that wide receiver Sammie McKenzie, who was injured during Friday night's game and hospitalized, was doing "pretty good" and was watching TV in his hospital bed late Friday night when Lowe visited him.

"He had his bell rung loud, and I mean loud," Lowe said of the jarring tackle on McKenzie during the third quarter. "He was lights out."

Thompson starts, ends fast for Lake Worth

By Julius Whigham II

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Saturday, October 09, 2004

LAKE WORTH ? For Lake Worth running back Winston Thompson, it only took one play to set the tone for what type of night it would be.

Thompson began his night bursting through the Palm Beach Central defense for a 36-yard gain on the Trojans' first play from scrimmage.

He ended it with 230 rushing yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries to lead Lake Worth to a 22-0 victory against Palm Beach Central Friday night at Bill Harvey Stadium.

More Prep Sports

? News, photos, video

? Football schedule, scores

? Message board

? Weekly e-mail updates

EMAIL THIS

PRINT THIS

POPULAR PAGES The win gives Lake Worth (3-0) its best start in several seasons.

"That's something Lake Worth hasn't done in I don't know how long," Lake Worth coach Errick Lowe said. "We're going to take this win and we're going to build on it. We're not going to get big heads. We're going to build on it and go."

For second-year Palm Beach Central, seeking its first win in school history, the night began in promising fashion when the Broncos opened the game with a nine-minute drive that advanced deep into Trojan territory, but the Broncos missed a 29-yard field-goal.

It was one of the few of times Central would threaten. Lake Worth's defense held the Broncos to less than 100 total yards of offense.

Lake Worth answered Central's miss with an 80-yard scoring drive that ended with Thompson's 5-yard touchdown run two minutes into the second quarter.

"(Winston) was our workhorse," Lowe said. "He showed up tonight, and he delivered."

Lake Worth had a scary moment when receiver Sammie McKenzie was injured during the third quarter in a hard collision on a pass attempt from quarterback Ryan Otero.

McKenzie was taken off the field by stretcher and transported to the hospital, but he was moving his arms and legs and was alert, Lowe said.

The Trojans led 14-0 on a 15-yard quarterback keeper by Otero in the third quarter.

:thumbup

better than past years

'Cats Crush Port St. Lucie

By Josh Clinton

In a rain-sponsored rout, the Boca Raton high school football team (2-1) defeated Port St. Lucie high school (0-2), 47-13, at Port St. Lucie Monday night.

Although it only rained lightly, the weather stayed consistent throughout the game, and possibly played the biggest role of the night.

Surprisingly, the Jaguars were the first to score in the game, taking advantage of a bad long snap that went in and out of the hands of punter Nick DiMauro. Matt Thomasweski fell on the ball in the endzone, resulting in an immediate touchdown early in the first quarter.

The Bobcats would take over the game from that point on, allowing Port St. Lucie?s offense to score just once late in the fourth quarter.

Boca Raton?s first score came on a sneak play, when all-purpose star Sherman Lang threw a perfect 52-yard touchdown to wide receiver Cameron Abdallah.

?It was rainy, and it was sloppy but we pulled it together,? said head coach Rick Swain. ?The more weapons we have to attack them with, the more they have to prepare for. That?s what this offense is all about.?

Lang ended the game with 126 total yards rushing, receiving, and passing, and now leads Palm Beach County with 226 yards catching the ball this season.

Running back Paul Baker put the ball in the endzone on the Bobcats? next possession, pounding up the middle for a touch 15-yard touchdown.

Baker finished the game with 119 yards on 12 carries, three of which were touchdowns.

The Bobcats were led by Junior Quarterback Cody Clinton, who completed 5-of-10 for 130 yards and two touchdowns until sitting the rest of the game after the third quarter, in order to stay fresh for Boca Raton?s third game in eight days this Friday in Okeechobee.

?I started off slow and missed a few targets early in the first quarter, but pulled it together in the second,? Clinton remarked after the Bobcats impressive performance. ?In the third, we just pounded at them with Paul [baker] and followed through with the victory.?

Clinton currently leads Palm Beach County in both passing yards and touchdowns, and has yet to throw an interception this season.

?We knew [Clinton and Lang] would be outstanding for us coming into the season,? Swain said. ?They?re doing what we thought they would.?

Abdallah also had a fantastic day, finishing with 2 receptions, both for touchdowns, and 84 yards.

More stories to be posted tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

?Cats survive scare

Published Saturday, October 16, 2004

By Josh Clinton

When it came down to it the Boca Raton Bobcats football team got it done.

With 20 seconds left in the game, quarterback Cody Clinton connected with wingback Sherman Lang on a 10-yard touchdown to win the game, 47-41, against the Okeechobee Brahmans in Okeechobee Friday night.

On a cold, windy night, the Brahmans often pounded on the Bobcats? defense, running the ball virtually every play as halfback Kenny Spencer accumulated over 200 yards on the ground.

Boca Raton?s offense was also impressive. Running back Kendrick Hughes punched out 110 yards on four carries. One of Hughes? runs, a 65-yard touchdown, occurred on the Bobcats? first play after losing the lead late in the fourth quarter. Five other Boca Raton players had carries amounting for 178 more rushing yards against Okeechobee?s defense.

Clinton had a bittersweet night as he passed for 198 yards and four touchdowns, but threw his first interceptions of the season (3).

?That was one of the poorest games I?ve ever seen,? said Bobcats head coach Rick Swain. ?Except for our game against Dwyer,? he added with a chuckle.

Lang also caught four passes for 59 yards and two touchdowns.

Tonight we have our biggest game of the year, against Centennial. If we win, we're in the playoffs, if we don't, we have to play Jupiter. Beating Jupiter would be virtually impossible, so tonight is a must-win.