Environment vs. Economy

MarlinFan10

Well, the biggest destroyer of the environment is the government anyways.

Economy has to be more important because the environment is cool and all, but we can't live without a stable and growing economy. Look at life in Africa or any third world country.....their environment is pretty protected, would you want to live there?

Well, the biggest destroyer of the environment is the government anyways.

Economy has to be more important because the environment is cool and all, but we can't live without a stable and growing economy. Look at life in Africa or any third world country.....their environment is pretty protected, would you want to live there?

575026[/snapback]

Great point.

The city of New Orleans is likely going to be under water in 100 years because the fools who ignored the enviroment and only looked out for the shipping industry screwed up the Mississippi Delta. Now the Gulf of Mexico has been moving in at rapid pace.

How about a third choice. Economic progress with an eye to enviromental maintenance while enviromental maintence with an eye to economic progress. The problem lies in the advesarial demands of society rather than common sense views. Common sense can be displaced by greed and idealism though.

How about a third choice. Economic progress with an eye to enviromental maintenance while enviromental maintence with an eye to economic progress. The problem lies in the advesarial demands of society rather than common sense views. Common sense can be displaced by greed and idealism though.

575170[/snapback]

great point..........

and

how bout sustainable development?

Sustainable development is impossible unless one is put in front of the other.

575234[/snapback]

no.

its not impossible.

there are many ways to have a green economy, you accomplish both goals, improving your economy while not devastating the environment.

best example of this concerns renewable energy sources.

Sustainable development is impossible unless one is put in front of the other.

575234[/snapback]

no.

its not impossible.

there are many ways to have a green economy, you accomplish both goals, improving your economy while not devastating the environment.

best example of this concerns renewable energy sources.

575245[/snapback]

Successful examples please? Who does this on a mass level and its worked?

Just curious.

nobody has really done it on a mass level, because it involves a new way of thinking, and in many instances it destroys old ways of doing things, more established and known ways of doing things.

there have been successes, especially in the world of solar energy, and most recently with hybrid autos, but the successes do not exist on any mass level yet. but the time will come once people open their eyes.

When do you see it implemented if ever?

One would that if the cost is significantly lower to run things with these types of systems once the initial cost of switching over is dealt with, that it would be an attractive option.

I'd like to say environment but the realisitic part of me says economy.

575259[/snapback]

Same here. I feel bad for all the people in Africa and think they deserve a shot to improve their economic standing. Then again, the environment needs to have measures enacted to preserve it. For example, I don't like what they're doing in Brazil with all the destroying the rainforests in order to build roads and put up farms.

When do you see it implemented if ever?

One would that if the cost is significantly lower to run things with these types of systems once the initial cost of switching over is dealt with, that it would be an attractive option.

575284[/snapback]

depends on where you live.

there are some progressive or 'green cities' that embrace sustainable developments on various levels.

i doubt miami is one of them.

san antonio is fighting to join the cause, we have one jail that is powered wholly on solar energy and other buildings in the works to be powered the same way.

the problem is that solar energy is high cost in terms of the solar panels and other equipment needed. however that is due to lower demand. demand rises and prices will fall. but it goes back to many not wanting to change their ways for various reasons.

575259[/snapback]

What's realistic about that? That we benefit from the economy short-term and our kids and future generations have to suffer because we destroyed their envorionment out of selfishness and greed?

575287[/snapback]

Well I'm all for saving the environment but when it comes down to it, I am selfish and if I had to choose between being well off or living in some banana republic with alot of clean air and trees, I'll take door #1. That being said, I try if I can to help the environment.

rainforests were being destroyed in brazil long before they thought of developing the region.

575305[/snapback]

OMG liek no way!1!

575423[/snapback]

like thats not what you said....

the way you worded it, you basically did a cause and effect. rain forests are being destroyed to build roads and farms.

575259[/snapback]

What's realistic about that? That we benefit from the economy short-term and our kids and future generations have to suffer because we destroyed their envorionment out of selfishness and greed?

575287[/snapback]

Well I'm all for saving the environment but when it comes down to it, I am selfish and if I had to choose between being well off or living in some banana republic with alot of clean air and trees, I'll take door #1. That being said, I try if I can to help the environment.

575433[/snapback]

thats why we cannot be content with the status quo. there is a such thing as a green economy. people see the word green and automatically think hippie wild and hairbrained ideas. but thats not the case.

a green economy balances the best of both worlds, economies grow and you work to conserve as much of the environment as necessary.

As I can see most of you picked economy. Probably because you think that environmentalists are fools that are constantly nagging.

However in a couple of decades we will truly start to feel the effects of the harm that industrialized nations have done to the environment.

575545[/snapback]

The industrialized nations aren't harming the environment as much as the developing ones.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.