Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins gambling?

Featured Replies

Talk is AL expanding in 2011 with Las Vegas, Portland, Charlotte, and Orlando in the early running.

630774[/snapback]

 

Orlando? What a joke. Miami and Tampa have more than shown they can't support a baseball team, and only barely support it even after a World Series championship... what makes anyone think Orlando will be any different?

630790[/snapback]

It is possible the Devil Rays move to Orlando and the AL still expands. Right now it appears as if Oakland may move to Las Vegas within the next 5 years. I think that would be a HUGE mistake.

"There was no discussions of them moving, but of Major League Baseball expanding and talking about what is the potential for Las Vegas," Ralenkotter said. "Since we were part of the discussion with the relocation of the Expos, they wanted to get more information on Las Vegas, its media market and as a tourist and convention destination."

 

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/.../517958095.html

630776[/snapback]

 

 

ESPNEWS reports they WERE talking about relocation. But they also said the talks with the city are "proceeding slowly."

Guys, don't worry. Las Vegas can't pay for it. They would have had an NBA or NFL team by now if they could.

Guys, don't worry. Las Vegas can't pay for it. They would have had an NBA or NFL team by now if they could.

630842[/snapback]

 

 

Isn't an NFL franchise almost twice as expensive? Don't you mean NHL or AFL?

The Florida Marlins have met with Las Vegas officials about a possible move, saying that negotiations for a new stadium in Miami have lasted longer than the team anticipated.

 

Bruce Rubin, a spokesman for Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, said Thursday team officials met with Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman and others for about 90 minutes Wednesday.

 

"These were social discussions, a get-to-know-each-other meeting," Rubin said. "Simply, Vegas wants a baseball team and the Marlins are a baseball team. It was decided that the two sides should get together."

 

 

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1942727

Why do I have a feeling this will hurt the stadium negotiations?

 

Lets just hope it's a shot in the arm.

This seems to me to be no more than an obvious bluff. I think Cape got it right, of course. There is no reason why the Marlins shouldnt meet with the LV people - especially because of the reaction it would have back here. Just look how us fans reacted.

 

I dont think MLB would be smart to move the Marlins out of the S Fl market either, and the NL teams down there in the SW of the U.S. certainly would throw up a blockade - just like Cape said. But, that was thought to happen with the now Washington Nationals and Orioles owner Angelos. (I know that is an AL/NL thing too).

The Marlins are just reminding S. Florida that there are other opportunities....it's strategy!

good.

 

move.

 

 

 

if south florida wont support the team maybe las vegas will.

 

 

this franchise deserves better.

630750[/snapback]

 

I agree.

Talk is AL expanding in 2011 with Las Vegas, Portland, Charlotte, and Orlando in the early running.

630774[/snapback]

I hope it goes to Charlotte but we all know where it's gonna go. :thumbdown

Manny Diaz was on CBS 4 a couple minutes ago and he didn't sound to happy. This s*** is gonna fall apart, I feel it. They should have never done this.

Marlins move to Vegas in the next 4 years I win a rather lucrative bet. $20. :hat

 

Who's big pimping now?

Marlins move to Vegas in the next 4 years I win a rather lucrative bet. $20. :hat

 

Who's big pimping now?

630928[/snapback]

 

 

Marlins move there is no team in Miami and no MB.com, who's big pimping then?

Marlins move to Vegas in the next 4 years I win a rather lucrative bet. $20. :hat

 

Who's big pimping now?

630928[/snapback]

 

 

Marlins move there is no team in Miami and no MB.com, who's big pimping then?

630930[/snapback]

 

They will still be the Marlins. And Admin is not a native Floridian, so I don't see why he would take down the site if they move, unless they change their name. So then it would be LB.com Lobos baseball.com :cool That was the only desert animal I could come up with impromptu.

 

And we'll always have the Devil Rays.

what happened to the news last week that the local part of the deal was just about finalized?

what happened to the news last week that the local part of the deal was just about finalized?

630938[/snapback]

 

It was people just giving fellatio to eachother about how great Loria and the FO are and how great the Marlins franchise is. Blind love. However, the deal will come through eventually IMO, but like I said last week, people were getting carried away, I'd hate to say I told you so, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy being right. :lol

Marlins move to Vegas in the next 4 years I win a rather lucrative bet. $20. :hat

 

Who's big pimping now?

630928[/snapback]

 

 

Marlins move there is no team in Miami and no MB.com, who's big pimping then?

630930[/snapback]

 

They will still be the Marlins. And Admin is not a native Floridian, so I don't see why he would take down the site if they move, unless they change their name. So then it would be LB.com Lobos baseball.com :cool That was the only desert animal I could come up with impromptu.

 

And we'll always have the Devil Rays.

630935[/snapback]

 

Oh yeah the Devil Rays big whoop. Unlike you some of us have emotional bonds to this franchise in Miami. Some of us here are the beginnings of what we hope becomes Red Sox Nation South. We live, breathe and will die Marlins' fans and only Marlins' fans, not some stupid name they come up with if they move to LV. So before you start talking about the 20 bucks you will make, think about how many of us will be hurt.

Marlins move to Vegas in the next 4 years I win a rather lucrative bet. $20. :hat

 

Who's big pimping now?

630928[/snapback]

 

 

Marlins move there is no team in Miami and no MB.com, who's big pimping then?

630930[/snapback]

 

They will still be the Marlins. And Admin is not a native Floridian, so I don't see why he would take down the site if they move, unless they change their name. So then it would be LB.com Lobos baseball.com :cool That was the only desert animal I could come up with impromptu.

 

And we'll always have the Devil Rays.

630935[/snapback]

 

Oh yeah the Devil Rays big whoop. Unlike you some of us have emotional bonds to this franchise in Miami. Some of us here are the beginnings of what we hope becomes Red Sox Nation South. We live, breathe and will die Marlins' fans and only Marlins' fans, not some stupid name they come up with if they move to LV. So before you start talking about the 20 bucks you will make, think about how many of us will be hurt.

630943[/snapback]

 

 

I wouldn't be happy at all to see the Marlins move, but I am a fan of whats on the back of the jersey not on the front, at least not as much. I will always hate the Yankees and the Cubs, no matter who they have. And I will always root for the Marlins no matter who they are playing. But outside of those circle of teams to me its about whats on the back of the jersey. I have the players I like and the players I want to see get pegged in the head.

 

A lot of people would be hurt if the Marlins move, I am sure. But think of how many people would be happy out west to have a team. I would like to see Cabs and JP and a few other guys play for real crowds not the 12K us fans muster up on a given night now. It is kind of wasted effort for some of these guys. They put it all on the line and don't get much out of it.

 

So think about how good it would be for the players for them to acctually play in a city that wants them and shows the support. Right now I doubt they feel overly wanted. Sure there is a fan base, but they are having a hard time getting a stadium and draw 20K on an average night.

Today: December 09, 2004 at 11:10:14 PST

 

Marlins tell mayor stadium plan a must for attracting a team

 

By Dan Kulin and Dave Mondt

LAS VEGAS SUN

 

 

Top Florida Marlins officials told Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman during a private meeting Wednesday that the city needs to have a plan to build and pay for a baseball stadium to attract a major league team, the mayor said.

 

Goodman said there was "no discussion of relocation" of the Marlins, who are unhappy with their current stadium in Florida, during the 90-minute meeting in his office that was attended by City Councilman Admin Brown, Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority President Rossi Ralenkotter, Marlins Vice Chairman Joel Mael and Marlins Vice President of Communications and Broadcasting P.J. Loyello. . But there was talk of possible stadium locations -- Goodman said he wants a downtown stadium -- and discussion of whether the casinos would support a team and how the millions of tourists would affect attendance, Goodman said.

 

Bruce Rubin, a spokesman for Marlins Chairman Jeffrey Loria, said the meeting was "simply a social meeting, a get-to-know-you meeting."

 

Rubin would not say whether the Marlins will meet with other cities but said he expects Marlins and Las Vegas officials will meet again.

 

When asked if the meeting signaled the Marlins were looking to move to Las Vegas. Rubin said: "The Marlins are a baseball team and Las Vegas is a city seeking a baseball team."

 

Rubin added that it is "generally acknowledged" that Las Vegas is one of the top cities without a team.

 

The mayor said the meeting was "a great sign" of interest in Las Vegas, but said he "won't speculate" on whether the meeting means there's interest in relocating the Marlins to Las Vegas. Goodman said the meeting was the longest he's had with representatives from a major league franchise.

 

"It was very pleasant, very informative," Goodman said about the meeting. "I was trying to pick their brains, find out what Las Vegas has to do to attract a team. ... They said you have to have a stadium plan, and know how those seats would be paid for."

 

Ralenkotter described the meeting as a "fact-finding" visit from the Marlins representatives.

 

"There was no discussions of them moving, but of Major League Baseball expanding and talking about what is the potential for Las Vegas," Ralenkotter said. "Since we were part of the discussion with the relocation of the Expos, they wanted to get more information on Las Vegas, its media market and as a tourist and convention destination."

 

A group trying to bring the Montreal Expos franchise to Las Vegas lost out to Washington, D.C., earlier this year.

 

Ralenkotter said he thinks the meeting shows Las Vegas is still a "potential destination for major league baseball."

 

The meeting came as Goodman and Brown ready to head to the winter baseball meetings in Anaheim, Calif., this weekend, and on the heels of a glowing Sports Illustrated article that says Las Vegas will have an NBA or major league team within 10 years.

 

Goodman is more optimistic, and said he is working to bring a top professional sports franchise to Las Vegas by the time leaves office, which could be 2007 or 2011 if he's re-elected again.

 

Exactly how the Wednesday meeting came about was unclear.

 

Goodman and Ralenkotter said Marlins officials asked for the meeting, but Rubin said his understanding was that city officials invited the Marlins.

 

 

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/.../517958095.html

Marlins move to Vegas in the next 4 years I win a rather lucrative bet. $20. :hat

 

Who's big pimping now?

630928[/snapback]

 

 

Marlins move there is no team in Miami and no MB.com, who's big pimping then?

630930[/snapback]

 

They will still be the Marlins. And Admin is not a native Floridian, so I don't see why he would take down the site if they move, unless they change their name. So then it would be LB.com Lobos baseball.com :cool That was the only desert animal I could come up with impromptu.

 

And we'll always have the Devil Rays.

630935[/snapback]

 

Oh yeah the Devil Rays big whoop. Unlike you some of us have emotional bonds to this franchise in Miami. Some of us here are the beginnings of what we hope becomes Red Sox Nation South. We live, breathe and will die Marlins' fans and only Marlins' fans, not some stupid name they come up with if they move to LV. So before you start talking about the 20 bucks you will make, think about how many of us will be hurt.

630943[/snapback]

 

 

I wouldn't be happy at all to see the Marlins move, but I am a fan of whats on the back of the jersey not on the front, at least not as much. I will always hate the Yankees and the Cubs, no matter who they have. And I will always root for the Marlins no matter who they are playing. But outside of those circle of teams to me its about whats on the back of the jersey. I have the players I like and the players I want to see get pegged in the head.

 

A lot of people would be hurt if the Marlins move, I am sure. But think of how many people would be happy out west to have a team. I would like to see Cabs and JP and a few other guys play for real crowds not the 12K us fans muster up on a given night now. It is kind of wasted effort for some of these guys. They put it all on the line and don't get much out of it.

 

So think about how good it would be for the players for them to acctually play in a city that wants them and shows the support. Right now I doubt they feel overly wanted. Sure there is a fan base, but they are having a hard time getting a stadium and draw 20K on an average night.

630944[/snapback]

 

 

Well what's on the front is 100 times more important to me and the majority of fans than what's on the back. You talk about the crowd sizes, don't you see most people won't go to the games because of the conditions at the park. I guarantee you a new park here in the long run will draw more people than a team in Las Vegas.

Well what's on the front is 100 times more important to me and the majority of fans than what's on the back. You talk about the crowd sizes, don't you see most people won't go to the games because of the conditions at the park. I guarantee you a new park here in the long run will draw more people than a team in Las Vegas.

630948[/snapback]

 

Las Vegas has nothing. Their big sport is UNLV football and basketball, they have nothing pro. If they build a stadium there it will be over the top to fit in with all the casinos and hotels. I think they would be smart enough and make it big enough, amazing enough that it will attract tourists while they are in town. I think a lot of people who go to Vegas for a week or so would go see the team there for a night if it is a winning team.

 

I think if you put a team into Vegas and make it winner, a Yankees of a west coast you will have a gold mine. Obviously someone with money and the willingness to do it would, and make a lot of money IMO. And I think Loria is one of those people. His goal in life it to have a team and a stadium in the United States. He failed in Montreal. He will not fail again and I think he will do what he needs to to make sure it happens. There is a lot of money to be had in Vegas.

Well what's on the front is 100 times more important to me and the majority of fans than what's on the back. You talk about the crowd sizes, don't you see most people won't go to the games because of the conditions at the park. I guarantee you a new park here in the long run will draw more people than a team in Las Vegas.

630948[/snapback]

 

Las Vegas has nothing. Their big sport is UNLV football and basketball, they have nothing pro. If they build a stadium there it will be over the top to fit in with all the casinos and hotels. I think they would be smart enough and make it big enough, amazing enough that it will attract tourists while they are in town. I think a lot of people who go to Vegas for a week or so would go see the team there for a night if it is a winning team.

 

I think if you put a team into Vegas and make it winner, a Yankees of a west coast you will have a gold mine. Obviously someone with money and the willingness to do it would, and make a lot of money IMO. And I think Loria is one of those people. His goal in life it to have a team and a stadium in the United States. He failed in Montreal. He will not fail again and I think he will do what he needs to to make sure it happens. There is a lot of money to be had in Vegas.

630956[/snapback]

 

 

Dude you put any type of Yankee like team on the field and you will draw 40k in Alaska.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.