Encarnacion to Japan?

rferry

Eric Goldschmidt, who represents Marlins outfielder Juan Encarnacion, said there has been no mention of selling Encarnacion's contract to a Japanese team, as the Marlins tried to do in 2003 with Kevin Millar.

-Sun-Sentinel

How does that work? Do the Marlins have to give up anything? Might they pick up a few yen?

Frustrated in their attempts to upgrade their left-handed relief corps, the Marlins are thinking outside the box again.

According to industry sources, they are trying to sign one more right-handed reliever, this time someone with a history of success against left-handed batters. It's believed the Marlins have at least one offer out to such a reliever, although his identity was unclear Saturday.

With 10 pitchers already under MLB contract, what's the point? Jones and Spooneybarger are adept at getting lefthanders out. Just go without.

Guest Moneyball

Breaking News

Peter Gammons reports:

Yomiuri Giants get:

OF Juan Encarnacion

Florida Marlins get:

YCDTBNA

(Yu-Gi-Oh! Card Deck To Be Named Later)

Enc is going to have a breakout year....there is no need to dump him. He has the best RF glove in baseball and can play CF (his native position) if JP goes down for whatever reason.

651895[/snapback]

Than how is Conine going to play if we sign Delgado?

651902[/snapback]

Enc won't be playing every single day you know. Neither will Delgado. Neither will Cabs for that matter.

Millar isn't in the MLBPA because he was a scab so I think that made it easier to sell him to Japan. Don't think it'd be possible with Enc.

651915[/snapback]

Millar and other scubs have long been represented by the MLBPA. They are kept out of the merchandising contracts though.

Millar isn't in the MLBPA because he was a scab so I think that made it easier to sell him to Japan. Don't think it'd be possible with Enc.

651915[/snapback]

Millar and other scubs have long been represented by the MLBPA. They are kept out of the merchandising contracts though.

651919[/snapback]

But does he still have all the rights of every other player other than merchandising?

Seems like parts of the CBA wouldn't neccesarily protect him.

He means they won't play all 162 games.

651932[/snapback]

Exactly

651934[/snapback]

Even so what sense would it make to pay someone 4.5 million to make spot starts(of course all of this assuming Delgado comes here which is probably pretty unlikely)

651956[/snapback]

But he does more than just spot start. He take over in the middle of a game, he can pinch hit, and he can be a defensive replacement.

He means they won't play all 162 games.

651932[/snapback]

Exactly

651934[/snapback]

Even so what sense would it make to pay someone 4.5 million to make spot starts(of course all of this assuming Delgado comes here which is probably pretty unlikely)

651956[/snapback]

But he does more than just spot start. He take over in the middle of a game, he can pinch hit, and he can be a defensive replacement.

651960[/snapback]

And you think he'd like that? I remember him making a stink about that sorta thing back in '03/

And you think he'd like that. I remember him making a stink about that sorta thing back in '03/

651964[/snapback]

I don't remember that. You may be thinking of Encarnacion.

651965[/snapback]

Then who are you talking about who is making 4.5 million this year that you would want coming off the bench as a defensive replacement?

And you think he'd like that. I remember him making a stink about that sorta thing back in '03/

651964[/snapback]

651965[/snapback]

Then who are you talking about who is making 4.5 million this year that you would want coming off the bench as a defensive replacement?

651974[/snapback]

Conine could come off the bench. Encarnacion is the best defensive outfielder we have...he saves runs with his glove. His bat is not enough to bench him.

651964[/snapback]

651965[/snapback]

651974[/snapback]

Conine could come off the bench. Encarnacion is the best defensive outfielder we have...he saves runs with his glove. His bat is not enough to bench him.

651976[/snapback]

When did we start paying Conine 4.5 a year?