give me a break

chefbob

Fox TV Accused of Stereotyping American Muslims

Thu Jan 13, 5:20 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Fox television network said on Thursday it will provide its stations with TV spots that portray Muslims in a favorable way after it received complaints for featuring followers of Islam as terrorists on its hit television show "24."

On Monday, Fox premiered the fourth season of "24." The drama featured an upper-middle class Muslim family operating as a sleeper terrorist cell. The Muslim mother poisons her son's non-Muslim girlfriend because it was feared the girl could jeopardize the terrorists' plan.

A Fox spokesman said it would provide public service announcements sponsored by the Council on American-Islamic Relations to its affiliate stations. Local television executives can decide if and when to use the spots.

The move was in response to the Islamic council's complaints about the show.

"What we are hoping to do is to try and mitigate the damages of the stereotypes because it can bring real-life consequences on American Muslims and their lives here," said Rabiah Ahmed, spokeswoman for the Islamic group.

Citing a public opinion survey conducted by Cornell University last year, Ahmed said television influences viewers' perceptions of Muslims.

"There aren't any positive or even neutral portrayals of Muslims on TV; whenever Muslims or Arabs are portrayed it is always in a stereotypical way," she said.

"When average Americans don't have any personal interaction with Muslims, whether it be at work or at school, they base their perception of Islam and Muslims from what they see on TV," she added. "We did bring that to Fox's attention."

:rolleyes:

While I do not like Islam as a religion, you should be a little more careful about how you go about doing shows like this. But then again, everyone is a critic and what they should do, is add a disclaimer like: "The following portrayal of (blank-insert religion, race, etc.) is not an accurate statement except to the most extreme parts of the group. None of the views portrayed in the show are shared by the network."

Something to the tune of that.

I agree with B4P on what Fox should do. But what was Fox gonna do? Put a Canadian terrorist family, eh?

655246[/snapback]

Yet no complaints from them about Al Jazeera's crude propaganda...most curious.

655246[/snapback]

exactly. Name any show on tv and I can place a racial or sexist problem with it. It just so happens that 24 is dealing with current events. Instead of their current storyline with that particular race, why not use "white" Americans as the terrorists. I can bet there wouldn't be a news story about some white people getting upset.

In response to the article that the "average American" that doesn't interact with Muslims look at them as how a we see them on tv is just plain idiotic.

And, if this Islamic group had watched the show, they would have noted a part where the main terrorist is eating in a middle eastern diner and a tv in the background is reporting the kidnapping of the SoS. A server from the restaurant that has no idea he is behind the plot says to him something like, " it's actions like this that make our people and religion look bad". Not sure of the exact quote, but you get the point.

Most of the time when groups complain about something, they just see what they want to see, not the actual content.

Yet no complaints from them about Al Jazeera's crude propaganda...most curious.

655270[/snapback]

Does Al-Jazeera even get broadcasted in America?

655288[/snapback]

Yeah.

Like I said Chef: Everyone's a critic when given the chance. Can't please them all and I for one do not condemn the shows portrayal. But I also think that Muslims in this country have a legitamate complaint considering there is a more secular group of Muslims in this country and less radical.

Well, let's just make all the bad characters white guys.

God I f***in hate people.

655358[/snapback]

It was that way when everyone was scared of Russians, Communists, and Soviets.

In response to the article that the "average American" that doesn't interact with Muslims look at them as how a we see them on tv is just plain idiotic.

Stats can be a bitch

In a study to determine how much the public fears terrorism, almost half of respondents polled nationally said they believe the U.S. government should -- in some way -- curtail civil liberties for Muslim Americans,

http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Dec04...m.Poll.bpf.html

Lets use logic here. Half the country wants civil liberties of an entire demographic curtailed. Half the country wants the f***IN US GOD DAMN CONSTITUTION AND THE f***IN EQUAL PROTECTION CLAUSE TO BE IGNORED for Muslin Americans. Youre gonna sit there and tell me that these people wont be affected by shows like this? The shere coincidence that I had to have a debate with a guy at a bar tonight about how people from the middle east are all terrorists. All...not some...all. A lot of people in this country arent too bright and base their opinion on others off of television shows.

You do realize most people in this country base their opinions of others on what they learn from TV and pop culture right? Lets make this personal.

Are Jewish Americans cheap money loving people as some media have portrayed them? No way. Do people think that way? Yes. Why? Because people are stupid and base their opinions of others on idiotic notions.

Are all white people in the South racist inbred hicks? No. Do people think that way? Yes. Because some media portrays them that way. Does that bother you CFDodge?

You do realize the movie Arlington Road had complaints right? (had white milita terrorists). You do realize the first 24 had compaints too right(more white milita terrorists). Except nobody posts the complaints about that stuff because most peopld dont care. But when brown people complain...well then lets get riled up.

Let me ask one simple question. If everyone knows its fiction, whats the harm in putting the disclaimer there? Please explain to me the harm in putting the disclaimer there. Try not to ignore the post or have tonyi make silly distinctions in an attempt to bail out.

And whoever said anything about making the character white guys? Not one f***in soul. Oh no!!...lets make sure idiots dont stereotype. CRISIS!!!

And anyone every here the concept of not jumping off a bridge because someone else did it? Al Jazeera is propoganda so we have to be too?

This is the third season of 24 and the first time muslims are the terrorists in the show. Last season there was a british terrorist and a mexican drug lord. Peoplle who dont associate with mesxicans on a day to day basis may believe that stereotype. The show is very good and a disclaimer isnt a bad idea at all, but the truth is ina show about counterterrorism, the idea of battling islamic terrorists is not very far fetched. Add a disclaimer and then its ok.

this may sound childish and totally absurd, but if Fox does put a disclaimer about Muslims, then I want a disclaimer that they don't mean to insult my intelligence.

655966[/snapback]

I don't think the disclaimer would be about Muslims, just all the characters in general.

I hate disclaimers personally, you could spend an eternity doing them. But I guess they have their place.

I'm a 24 lover, but even I thought the season premiere was a little unfair.

I wouldn't object to having a Muslim terrorist family, but some of the comments the characters were making were absolutely outrageous. Stuff like, "oh Bairouz, we are the CHOSEN family. We must do this for Allah," and "you cannot date that non-believer" is just absurd. Not only does that go against the very principles of Islam, but also only serves to fuel the Islamophobia that's taking over this nation.

It is very possible to show a terrorist that is not Muslim, as there are many non-Muslim terrorist groups.

It is also not the first time that 24 has put a Muslim terrorist on the show. I think in season 2 there was one. I don't recall many of the details since I was in Guatemala when the show aired (fast-paced show + Spanish = major problem), but I'm positive that Jack Bauer went into a mosque looking for a suspect with a bomb of some sort.

I wouldn't care about a Muslim terrorist and no disclaimer as long as the writers toned down some of the stuff the "true Muslims" say. Some of the garbage is just ridiculous.

I wouldn't object to having a Muslim terrorist family, but some of the comments the characters were making were absolutely outrageous. Stuff like, "oh Bairouz, we are the CHOSEN family. We must do this for Allah," and "you cannot date that non-believer" is just absurd. Not only does that go against the very principles of Islam, but also only serves to fuel the Islamophobia that's taking over this nation.

656336[/snapback]

Who cares, that's probably what the terrorists would say. I hate the people who spin Islam out ot be this peaceful religion. It isn't peaceful. And how they treat women in some of these Islamic countries is absurd.

no offense to anyone

I don't want to turn this into a religion thread, but Islam is intended to be peaceful. Islam teaches to respect the other peoples "of the book," and it is actually very fair to women, if you choose to interpret it that way. I can't help what the whacko Saudis do, but it doesn't mean that their interpretation of Islam should serve to represent the entire religion. If you can't see some of the peaceful sides of Islam, then you don't know enough about the religion. Sure, there are some crazed out fundies that go overboard, but don't let that taint your perception of the entire religion.

The problem here is that 24 is representing the Araz family as a typical, normal Arab-American family, and it implies that that's what could really be going on behind the doors of many Arab families. It's clearly not, and it only serves to further the public's already offbase interpretation of Muslims.

I wouldn't object to having a Muslim terrorist family, but some of the comments the characters were making were absolutely outrageous.? Stuff like, "oh Bairouz, we are the CHOSEN family.? We must do this for Allah," and "you cannot date that non-believer" is just absurd.? Not only does that go against the very principles of Islam, but also only serves to fuel the Islamophobia that's taking over this nation.

656336[/snapback]

Who cares, that's probably what the terrorists would say. I hate the people who spin Islam out ot be this peaceful religion. It isn't peaceful. And how they treat women in some of these Islamic countries is absurd.

no offense to anyone

656510[/snapback]

Please provide an explanation of where Islam tells its followers to be violent? Id like you to do it. Not someone else but you. Please give me specific examples in the Qur'an or of non extreme leaders. If you are basing that conclusion on the specific acts, then explain to me how that is different from the actions of anti abortion terrorists like Clayton Lee Waagner, James Charles Kopp, and others? Lets see if you can exercise some intelligence or will simply be a coward. Because right now you sound like a moron. No offense.

656336[/snapback]

no offense to anyone

656510[/snapback]

Please provide an explanation of where Islam tells its followers to be violent? Id like you to do it. Not someone else but you. Please give me specific examples in the Qur'an or of non extreme leaders. If you are basing that conclusion on the specific acts, then explain to me how that is different from the actions of anti abortion terrorists like Clayton Lee Waagner, James Charles Kopp, and others? Lets see if you can exercise some intelligence or will simply be a coward. Because right now you sound like a moron. No offense.

656705[/snapback]

He's like 12 dude...

Let it go.

656336[/snapback]

no offense to anyone

656510[/snapback]

656705[/snapback]

:fyou

The point is, at least 80% of terrorists are Muslims. Obviously the liberal media has got to you.

I wouldn't object to having a Muslim terrorist family, but some of the comments the characters were making were absolutely outrageous.? Stuff like, "oh Bairouz, we are the CHOSEN family.? We must do this for Allah," and "you cannot date that non-believer" is just absurd.? Not only does that go against the very principles of Islam, but also only serves to fuel the Islamophobia that's taking over this nation.

656336[/snapback]

no offense to anyone

656510[/snapback]

656705[/snapback]

The point is, at least 80% of terrorists are Muslims. Obviously the liberal media has got to you.

656761[/snapback]

Ill let you go since youre a kid. But the actions of a small minority doesnt mean you should associate that with all. If I started a group that killed people in the name of Christianity, does that mean Christianity promotes killing people? There are Chrisitan psychos too like David Koresh, and the names I said above. That doesnt mean Christianity promotes this stuff. 100% of Christian fundamentalists are Christians. Do you know what percent of people who follow Islam are terrorists, not how many terrorists are Islamic? Do you see the difference?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.