Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How much money do the Marlins REALLY have?

Featured Replies

Yup. People seem to think that if George Steinbrenner bought the Expos they would have been saved. It didn't matter who was the owner, they were doomed ever since the strike.

665123[/snapback]

I disagree; If the Expos had spent some money, they could have re-signed their players. The reason they went down the tubes after 94 was because they lost their players to free agency.

Yup. People seem to think that if George Steinbrenner bought the Expos they would have been saved. It didn't matter who was the owner, they were doomed ever since the strike.

665123[/snapback]

I disagree; If the Expos had spent some money, they could have re-signed their players. The reason they went down the tubes after 94 was because they lost their players to free agency.

666359[/snapback]

 

 

 

So does every team. And even when that team was decent a few years ago(for the first half of the season), nobody showed up to even watch them. I can't say that Marlins fans are any better, but atleast they show up when they are winning.

I can't say that Marlins fans are any better, but atleast they show up when they are winning.

666404[/snapback]

 

The problem is... they weren't in it long enough for that to happen. In 2003, when did Marlins fans show up? Be honest now. I was at many games in 2003. I actually have pictures of a pretty empty stadium at the end of July. So I'd say late August/September, the fans started coming out. Montreal was out of it already. Years of losing brings out the pessimists in a lot of fans. You don't just come back from that with a winning month or two... it takes more.

I can't say that Marlins fans are any better, but atleast they show up when they are winning.

666404[/snapback]

 

The problem is... they weren't in it long enough for that to happen. In 2003, when did Marlins fans show up? Be honest now. I was at many games in 2003. I actually have pictures of a pretty empty stadium at the end of July. So I'd say late August/September, the fans started coming out. Montreal was out of it already. Years of losing brings out the pessimists in a lot of fans. You don't just come back from that with a winning month or two... it takes more.

666439[/snapback]

 

 

And I come back at you with this. How was the attendance last season? Yes the last month was rough due to the Hurricanes and stuff and there were alot of empty seats, but how did they do in the beginning of the season and even during the middle of the season when they struggled a bit. Baby steps, its all about baby steps.

 

 

But then again, all fans are like that. I can remember sitting in Yankee Stadium and Shea stadium several times when the the Yankees and Mets weren't that good respectively and not seeing every seat filled. People come out for winners..

I can't say that Marlins fans are any better, but atleast they show up when they are winning.

666404[/snapback]

 

The problem is... they weren't in it long enough for that to happen. In 2003, when did Marlins fans show up? Be honest now. I was at many games in 2003. I actually have pictures of a pretty empty stadium at the end of July. So I'd say late August/September, the fans started coming out. Montreal was out of it already. Years of losing brings out the pessimists in a lot of fans. You don't just come back from that with a winning month or two... it takes more.

666439[/snapback]

 

 

And I come back at you with this. How was the attendance last season? Yes the last month was rough due to the Hurricanes and stuff and there were alot of empty seats, but how did they do in the beginning of the season and even during the middle of the season when they struggled a bit. Baby steps, its all about baby steps.

666463[/snapback]

 

You guys just won the WS! You BETTER have fans show up. What the hell does that have to do with the Expos having no fans when they were in the race for a short while? I was comparing tht situation, with how late the Fish fans came out in 2003. I mentioned nothing of 2004.

When did they start really coming into it during the '03 season? Late July, August and September. How BAD were they the first half of the season and you think people were going to show up for that??

 

And don't forget that many people were burned after the '98 fire sale, so you can't really blame them for that.

 

Like I said, people come out for winners.

When did they start really coming into it during the '03 season? Late July, August and September. How BAD were they the first half of the season and you think people were going to show up for that??

 

And don't forget that many people were burned after the '98 fire sale, so you can't really blame them for that.

 

Like I said, people come out for winners.

666513[/snapback]

 

That was my point. The Expos weren't competitive long enough for the fans to come out. They were burned as fans as well. That's all I'm saying. To say they didn't come out during their brief run in 2003, is hypocritical

The difference is the business community supports the Marlins well enough, and the market has the potential to lure prospective owners. The Expos had neither. They were a lame duck franchise by the late nineties, and well on that way by the early nineties when their original owner (Charles Bronfman) sold the franchise.

It isn't about how much money the Marlins have, it's about how they allocate it.

 

It's all about how you manage your cashflow.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.