We are doing some good in Iraq

Dodge

http://www.nypost.com/news/worldnews/39526.htm

January 30, 2005 -- BAGHDAD ? The man replacing the mayor of Baghdad ? who was assassinated for his pro-American loyalties ? says he is not worried about his ties to Washington.

In fact, he'd like to erect a monument to honor President Bush in the middle of the city.

"We will build a statue for Bush," said Ali Fadel, the former provincial council chairman. "He is the symbol of freedom."

Fadel's predecessor, Ali al-Haidari, was gunned down Jan. 4 when militants opened fire on his armor-covered BMW as it traveled with a three-car convoy.

Fadel said he received numerous threats on his life as the council chairman, and expects to get many more in his new post.

"My life is cheap," Fadel said. "Everything is cheap for my country."

As Iraq prepared for a volatile election that is being watched across the world, Fadel heaped praise on the United States.

Fadel acknowledged that many in his country appear ungrateful for America's foreign assistance. He said most Iraqis are still in "shock" over the changes, and need time to adjust.

Any public monument to Bush is likely to further incense terrorist forces, who have attacked American troops and their supporters for months.

Fadel said he is undaunted.

"We have a lot of work and we are especially grateful to the soldiers of the U.S.A. for freeing our country of tyranny," Fadel said.

As for his own protection, the new mayor will be traveling in a new $150,000 SUV complete with bulletproof windows and flat-resistant tires.

A lot of people take freedom for granted. I am glad to see that this man understands the price of freedom. The Iraqi people are genuine people. Once everything is said and done W will be remembered as the man who brought freedom to a very unstable part of the world. One thing you have to give W credit for is that he never waffled or changed his position. He held strong and is continuing to hold strong. I read somewhere that the western media was a bit disappointed that the Iraqi elections went so well, because it is not as "juicy" a story. I wonder how many people who hate Bush would love to see Iraq fail. For those who say why are American lives being taken to help people a world away, it is because as Americans it is what we do. Only one war was ever fought on American soil against a foreign country, the rest have been to liberate an oppressed nation and oppressed people.

Once everything is said and done W will be remembered as the man who brought freedom to a very unstable part of the world.

He will because the propoganda machine will forcefully give him credit. But its impossible to give one man credit. Clearly the domino affect is not what the neocons hoped for. Would you say more people in the middle east respect or resent the US after Iraq? Would you say the rest of the world will be more trustworthy of the US after this in light of everything being claimed by Bush ending up false? The more controlling force in the middle east will be people like Abbas and moderate reformers and Bush did nothing to help those people. But he will get credit for their accomplishments anyway.

Once everything is said and done W will be remembered as the man who brought freedom to a very unstable part of the world.

He will because the propoganda machine will forcefully give him credit. But its impossible to give one man credit. Clearly the domino affect is not what the neocons hoped for. Would you say more people in the middle east respect or resent the US after Iraq? Would you say the rest of the world will be more trustworthy of the US after this in light of everything being claimed by Bush ending up false? The more controlling force in the middle east will be people like Abbas and moderate reformers and Bush did nothing to help those people. But he will get credit for their accomplishments anyway.

674528[/snapback]

He will get credit for what he deserves. If iraq stabilizes, he defintely deserves credit, not all of it, but some. Aside from that Bush the worst president since Nixon!!! hahaha. Nixon was one of the best presidents this country has ever had, he just made one mistake which cost him his presidency and cost him what could have been a favorable presidency for the country. Carter was one of the worst presidents of the 20th century in terms of policy, and remmeber the Tet offensive? Yea that president wasnt top 10 either. In fatc bush's actions in iraq compare closest to LBJ

You people make me sick.

You can't look beyond politics for one god damned minute.

I give up

674460[/snapback]

I wasn't politicizing it. I'm just stating the obvious. I'm impressed by what's happened, but building a statue of Dubya isn't wise.

You people make me sick.

I give up

674460[/snapback]

What do you expect, they're Canadian.

674463[/snapback]

A conservative person was the first one to make this political.

674523[/snapback]

If being political means calling a good deed good, then so be it.

You people make me sick.

I give up

674460[/snapback]

I wasn't politicizing it. I'm just stating the obvious. I'm impressed by what's happened, but building a statue of Dubya isn't wise.

674570[/snapback]

I know, i was referring to FutureGM's first post in this thread. Some folks are just so blind in their disdain of GWB that they overlook some great things. :(

Fritz is a conservative?

If being political means calling a good deed good, then so be it.

I was talking about fish tank frenzy who was the first person to make it political. He said W would be remembered as the one who brought peace to the mid east..thats politicizing the event. He said W's will was good...thats politicizing the event. He accused the media of having an agenda...thats political. He talked about those who dont like Bush..thats political. He made it about W and his greatness and not about the accomplishments of the Iraqi people.

Its amazing how you can ignore that whole post and go straight to the totally innocuos observations of Fritz and FutureGM.

If the point of invading Iraq was not to make the Iraqi people free and to spread democracy. And although many dont want to hear it over and over again, we were led there to find known WMD's. If George Bush wanted to liberate a country and its people from the hands of a horrible leader, and spread democracy, it is a disappointment to think that George Bush would see Iraq as the most needy country. There is no dought that Saddam Hussein was a horrible man, but situations around the world in places like Sudan are much more critical and more needy of stability and peace.

If the point of invading Iraq was not to make the Iraqi people free and to spread democracy. And although many dont want to hear it over and over again, we were led there to find known WMD's. If George Bush wanted to liberate a country and its people from the hands of a horrible leader, and spread democracy, it is a disappointment to think that George Bush would see Iraq as the most needy country. There is no dought that Saddam Hussein was a horrible man, but situations around the world in places like Sudan are much more critical and more needy of stability and peace.

674647[/snapback]

I think the WMD reason was more of a front than an actual reason.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.