Economist: New stadiums do little to spur economic

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- As the Florida Marlins were opening their season, a Senate committee got a report from legislative staff that doesn't bode well for the request to get the team a new stadium.

The Senate Commerce and Consumer Services Committee heard from a Senate staff economist Tuesday that new sports stadiums don't usually have the intended effect of spurring economic development.

The report comes as the South Florida officials ask for a $60 million state tax rebate over three decades to help build a new community-owned ballpark.

``I think you could expect very small if not zero economic benefit from a new stadium,'' said Senate economist Dr. Ross Fabricant.

City and county officials as well as the team have pledged money for the proposed retractable-roof facility. Meanwhile, Gov. Jeb Bush said he still isn't sure that state help is a good idea. He didn't rule it out, but said there were higher priorities.

``We can't be all things to all people. We can't fund everything that comes, I mean every idea that comes into town looking for a sponsor,'' Bush said.

Fabricant's report met with skepticism from several lawmakers on the Senate panel, particularly those from South Florida, who said they didn't see how the team couldn't spur tourists to come and, in turn, drive development near the park.

Sen. Gwen Margolis, D-Aventura, said the Miami Dolphins' football stadium has allowed for several Super Bowls and that sports stadiums must provide an economic boost.

``I'm having a little difficulty with this,'' Margolis said of the economist's assessment.

Fabricant said his review found that most economists agree that stadiums don't spur economic benefits.

Ron Book, a lobbyist for the city of Miami and Miami-Dade County, said the report was preordained to be negative.

``He came in here to bang on the rebate system,'' Book said, adding that the city had experts who could say the stadium would provide a positive economic impact. ``We're not worried.''

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/sou...-home-headlines

i was listening to him and lemme tell u all that this man sounded like the biggest idiot in the entire world. he said the stadium would have no economic impact and blah blah balh, i'm not sure how this man got his doctorate or became elected as senator but talk about the biggest loser EVER. i don't think he had any idea nad he kept saying that stadiums don't guaruntee economic positives or whatever for lack of a better word to a city. which is completly false. his alternative was for money to be used for roads...where 'everyone is involved' what a bastard.

while i happen to agree that the potential economic benefit of new stadiums is vastly overstated, i think anyone who looks at public funding as solely a mechanism by which to turn a profit is totally missing the point.

government spends money on all sorts of things (arts, parks, zoos, museums, advertising campaigns, etc.) for all sorts of reasons besides merely economic development. enrichment, entertainment, and PR are certainly three good reasons for the state to fork over some dough to the stadium.

while i happen to agree that the potential economic benefit of new stadiums is vastly overstated, i think anyone who looks at public funding as solely a mechanism by which to make profit is totally missing the point.

government spends money on all sorts of things (arts, parks, zoos, museums, advertising campaigns, etc.) for all sorts of reasons. enrichment, entertainment, and PR are certainly three good reasons for the state to fork over some dough to the stadium.

730412[/snapback]

very well put