It's back to the future for Yanks

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/300465p-257209c.html

It's back to the

future for Yanks

Bombers' new digs will look like scene from Ruth's heyday

By T.J. QUINN

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

From the outside, it'll be 1923 again.

Limestone walls rising like a fortress, standing sentinel in refurbished parkland. It's the view Babe Ruth had when he went to work in the house they built for him.

On the inside, a mix of modernity and antiquity has officials from City Hall, Albany and the Bronx gushing: the old frieze hanging from the roof like copper lace, bullpens back in the outfield where they used to be, but with open concourses (with six times the space for concession sales) and sight lines to the field from almost anywhere in the park.

This is the new Yankee Stadium, almost ready for prime time, all but signed, sealed and to be delivered by Opening Day 2009.

Lawyers for the city, state and the team are completing a "memorandum of understanding," sources told the Daily News, and an announcement is expected around May 1.

As of now, the new stadium is designed to seat 50,800, less than the current capacity of 57,478, but with 50 to 60 luxury suites.

It will be located just north of the existing stadium, between 161st and 164th Sts. and between Jerome and River Aves.

The stadium itself, funded entirely by the team, will run about $800 million, while the total project will cost about $1.1 billion with the city and the state providing the extra $300 million for a new Metro-North station, parkland along the now decrepit waterfront and better parking facilities around the stadium.

Yankee President Randy Levine and city and state officials would not comment directly about the plans or the pending agreement, but confirmed they are in the final stages.

"We're working very closely with the city and the state and trying to finalize our current plan," Levine said. "We expect to announce it in the near future, and we hope to break ground in 2006 and be ready to play in 2009."

Officials familiar with the plans gave The News an exclusive preview of the designs for the new park, which includes all the amenities of a state of the art shopping mall:

• The stadium will be comprised of two separate structures: one, the exterior wall, constructed to replicate the original Yankee Stadium, built in 1923, and the other the interior stadium itself, rising over the top of the exterior. From the outside the structures will look like one building, almost identical in materials and design to the original stadium. There will be a "great hall" between the exterior wall and the interior structure, featuring five to six times more retail square footage than the current stadium.

• The signature frieze, the lattice work that once rimmed the original stadium roof and was recreated in the outfield of the current stadium, will be added to the new stadium's roof. The frieze (commonly but incorrectly known as "the facade") was painted white during the 1960s, as it now appears above the outfield. But the new stadium will return to the original copper.

• The city will provide $50 million worth of infrastructure for the new stadium. But the city and state, depending on the agreement, will build and control all 11,000 parking spaces in the area, a cash cow for taxpayers that one consultant told the Yankees was "too generous," a source said.

Perhaps best of all for the parties involved, there is no significant opposition to the project.

"We expect this project to be one that is supported by all," Levine said.

Originally published on April 15, 2005

Yankees unveil plans to build a new stadium in the Bronx with its original look (below).

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/44660.htm

NEW PARK TO SIT WELL WITH YANK DEVOTEES

By BILL SANDERSON

April 16, 2005 -- The Yankees' plans for a new Bronx stadium will be a hit with fans who want a closer view of the action ? with an extra 10,000 seats to be built at field level.

The new Yankee Stadium will feature 30,000 seats at field level and 20,000 in the upper tiers, according to the latest architectural plans described to The Post.

That's the reverse of the current layout of 30,000 upper-level seats and 20,000 seats where the action is.

And traditionalists will appreciate that the new stadium's playing field is to be laid out like the old one's, with Monument Park in the same spot in left-center field.

A grand entryway is to be built behind home plate, and, like the rest of the new stadium, its exterior will have the same Gothic lines as the original ? only bolder.

Plus, a replica of the familiar Gothic, white-painted, copper fa?ade that ringed the original stadium is to again be built above the stands.

The team will pay for the $800 million stadium but expects the city or state government to replace the playing fields and tennis courts in Macombs Dam and Mullaly parks, at a cost of $60 million to $80 million.

The team also expects the government to build parking garages for 11,000 cars ? 4,000 more than can park in the existing garages. The government is to own the garages and keep all fees from them.

In addition, the Yankees want a new Metro-North train station ? something that's been discussed since the 1920s ? as well as a new ferry terminal and an extension of the 161st St. platform on the No. 4 subway line.

Those public-transportation improvements, however, are not vital, the team has said.

Amazing. First the Jets, then the Nets, then the Devils, then the (football) Giants and now the Yankees. Are the Mets right behind them? :blink:

Of all the teams? Why would they move?

Actually, I do know why, all the money Steinbrenner is paying in luxury tax is (under the new CBA) going to be refunded to him for some odd percentage of what is paid into a new ball-park. Ah, gotta love how the Yankees can still find a loop hole and screw over a system designed to keep them in check...

Actually, I do know why, all the money Steinbrenner is paying in luxury tax is (under the new CBA) going to be refunded to him for some odd percentage of what is paid into a new ball-park. Ah, gotta love how the Yankees can still find a loop hole and screw over a system designed to keep them in check...

743999[/snapback]

Why? Have you ever seen where the stadium is located? It is right in the middle in one of the roughest neighborhoods in the country.

Of all the teams?? Why would they move?

Actually, I do know why, all the money Steinbrenner is paying in luxury tax is (under the new CBA) going to be refunded to him for some odd percentage of what is paid into a new ball-park.? Ah, gotta love how the Yankees can still find a loop hole and screw over a system designed to keep them in check...

743999[/snapback]

Why? Have you ever seen where the stadium is located? It is right in the middle in one of the roughest neighborhoods in the country.

744091[/snapback]

except they're moving right next door

743999[/snapback]

744091[/snapback]

744214[/snapback]

He asked why they would move. That would be a reason why.

Of all the teams?? Why would they move?

Actually, I do know why, all the money Steinbrenner is paying in luxury tax is (under the new CBA) going to be refunded to him for some odd percentage of what is paid into a new ball-park.? Ah, gotta love how the Yankees can still find a loop hole and screw over a system designed to keep them in check...

743999[/snapback]

744091[/snapback]

744214[/snapback]

He asked why they would move. That would be a reason why.

744776[/snapback]

just not a reason to why they would be going to where they are

i gotcha

The stadium itself, funded entirely by the team...

*yawn*

744171[/snapback]

To compare both franchises financially is assanine.

744814[/snapback]

I never compared them.

I just feel paying for your stadium is the right thing to do. If you can't support a franchise financially, don't buy them.

*yawn*

744171[/snapback]

ah, but you must have missed the whole quote:

The stadium itself, funded entirely by the team, will run about $800 million, while the total project will cost about $1.1 billion with the city and the state providing the extra $300 million for a new Metro-North station, parkland along the now decrepit waterfront and better parking facilities around the stadium.

the city and the state had to provide economic incentive for the team to move to that part of town.

*yawn*

744171[/snapback]

ah, but you must have missed the whole quote:

the city and the state had to provide economic incentive for the team to move to that part of town.

744862[/snapback]

No I didn't miss it. Are the Marlins paying for the stadium by themselves? If the state/city was just paying for the parking garage that would be one thing. But the state/city are paying for the construction of the stadium, which in this case the Yankees are covering.

Are the Marlins paying for the stadium by themselves?

744864[/snapback]

ha, where'd you get the impression i was debating that?

744869[/snapback]

I never said you were debating it. I was just pointing out the Yankees are paying for their stadium, and the Marlins want public money towards their own. And like I said, I did not miss the rest of the quote.

Guest Fritz

*yawn*

744171[/snapback]

Nice quote job, tonyi.

Guest Fritz

Are the Marlins paying for the stadium by themselves?

744864[/snapback]

ha, where'd you get the impression i was debating that?

744869[/snapback]

I never said you were debating it. I was just pointing out the Yankees are paying for their stadium, and the Marlins want public money towards their own. And like I said, I did not miss the rest of the quote.

744871[/snapback]

$192 million + $60 million < $300 million

You're about three posts behind Oreo. ;)

Are the Marlins paying for the stadium by themselves? If the state/city was just paying for the parking garage that would be one thing. But the state/city are paying for the construction of the stadium, which in this case the Yankees are covering.

Guest Fritz

Are the Marlins paying for the stadium by themselves? If the state/city was just paying for the parking garage that would be one thing. But the state/city are paying for the construction of the stadium, which in this case the Yankees are covering.

744915[/snapback]

What does it matter? Spending $300 million for stadium-related stuff is still spending $300 million. At least the city will own the stadium unlike where the state of NY won't own diddly of Yankee Stadium.

744915[/snapback]

What does it matter? Spending $300 million for stadium-related stuff is still spending $300 million. At least the city will own the stadium unlike where the state of NY won't own diddly of Yankee Stadium.

744921[/snapback]

The building of whatever it is the city is building in this case isn't NEEDED for the stadium. You don't need a new metro station to play baseball, do you? The city wanted to make this one big project thats fine.

I don't think the Marlins should have to pay for a new Tri-Rail system.

The stadium is paid for by the team, like how the Marlins stadium should be paid. And yes the county/city will own the stadium, but it is obvious for who they are building it for specifically.

Guest Fritz

744915[/snapback]

744921[/snapback]

The building of whatever it is the city is building in this case isn't NEEDED for the stadium. You don't need a new metro station to play baseball, do you? The city wanted to make this one big project thats fine.

I don't think the Marlins should have to pay for a new Tri-Rail system.

The stadium is paid for by the team, like how the Marlins stadium should be paid. And yes the county/city will own the stadium, but it is obvious for who they are building it for specifically.

744930[/snapback]

You think a subway station isn't needed in New York City? Have you ever seen that place? People take public transport and/or walk everywhere. I'd say the parking structures are more or less frivolous because only the most elite members of NYC will drive their cars to the stadium in most cases.

Also, isn't spending $300 million to aid the creation of a stadium against your edict? I guarantee that if the Yankees weren't getting that money they wouldn't build an all-new stadium but just do more patchwork quick fixes. Quit arguing just to argue, it's getting played out.