Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NHL ref passes away in South Florida

Featured Replies

Not only was he an NHL linesman, but he played in the men's B-league at Glacier in Pompano Beach, this is really sad.

 

:(

 

 

 

WESTON, Fla. (AP) -- NHL linesman Stephane Provost was killed early Friday when his motorcycle slammed into the back of a tractor trailer.

 

A 10-year officiating veteran with the NHL, the 37-year-old Provost died near his home in Weston, about 17 miles west of Fort Lauderdale on the edge of the Florida Everglades.

 

Around 3:30 a.m., Provost was traveling west on State Road 84 when he hit the rear of a semi, a Broward County Sheriff's report said. The motorcycle immediately burst into flames and fell on Provost, who was not wearing a helmet. He was declared dead at the scene.

 

The driver of the truck was uninjured.

 

The Broward County Medical Examiner will perform an autopsy that will include toxicology screening.

 

A Montreal native, Provost had been a member of the NHL Officials Association since September 1994. The first game he covered was between Florida and Tampa Bay in January 1995.

 

Provost is survived by his wife, Sandra, and daughters Ashley and Reily. Funeral arrangements have not been finalized, the league said.

 

"Since his debut in the NHL on Jan. 25, 1995, Stephane strived for and achieved excellence as an NHL linesmen," NHL Executive Vice President Colin Campbell said. "We extend our deepest sympathies to Sandra and the family."

 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/hock...22/linesman.ap/

Provost! He was one of the few Linesman I actually liked. :(

 

 

 

This is sad for the NHL and all hockey fans. He was truely, one of the best at his job in the game.

Provost! He was one of the few Linesman I actually liked. :(

 

 

 

This is sad for the NHL and all hockey fans. He was truely, one of the best at his job in the game.

752135[/snapback]

its not sad for me because i dont watch nhl and i thought they were on strilke

Provost! He was one of the few Linesman I actually liked. :(

 

 

 

This is sad for the NHL and all hockey fans. He was truely, one of the best at his job in the game.

752135[/snapback]

its not sad for me because i dont watch nhl and i thought they were on strilke

Provost! He was one of the few Linesman I actually liked. :(

 

 

 

This is sad for the NHL and all hockey fans. He was truely, one of the best at his job in the game.

752135[/snapback]

its not sad for me because i dont watch nhl and i thought they were on strilke

752926[/snapback]

 

 

you're an idiot.

 

Provost was a regular at Panther games -- if I had to take a guess I'd say he was officiating in a good 70% of Panther games during any particular season.

 

RIP.

Provost! He was one of the few Linesman I actually liked. :(

 

 

 

This is sad for the NHL and all hockey fans. He was truely, one of the best at his job in the game.

752135[/snapback]

its not sad for me because i dont watch nhl and i thought they were on strilke

752926[/snapback]

A 37 year old father died. It's not about hockey or sports or refereeing.

Provost! He was one of the few Linesman I actually liked. :(

 

 

 

This is sad for the NHL and all hockey fans. He was truely, one of the best at his job in the game.

752135[/snapback]

its not sad for me because i dont watch nhl and i thought they were on strilke

752926[/snapback]

 

 

you're an idiot.

 

Provost was a regular at Panther games -- if I had to take a guess I'd say he was officiating in a good 70% of Panther games during any particular season.

 

RIP.

752954[/snapback]

I don't think I could agree with you any more. That is a great guestimate about how many Panthers homegames he did. Now if he could've gotten his fellow Florida based linemen, Pierre Racicot, to actually make good calls, then I would've liked him more than I already did.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.