Damon to retire after season?

TSwift25

Damon may decide to hang 'em up

By Michael Silverman/ Red Sox Notebook

Tuesday, May 3, 2005 - Updated: 02:12 PM EST

DETROIT - If you're looking for Johnny Damon [stats, news] next summer, you might have better luck at Disney World or on a lake near his Orlando home rather than on a baseball field.

That is because if Damon is not presented with a tantalizing enough contract from the Red Sox [stats, schedule] or one of five other teams he would consider playing for, he is more than content to call it quits for at least a year and maybe longer.

At the ripe old age of 32 next year, Damon will not settle for any old contract.

``I am so good and happy with my life, what's going to be wrong if I get to see my kids every day, get to be in warm weather, get to have the summer?'' said Damon yesterday before the Sox' 8-3 loss to the Tigers, expanding on comments he made a day earlier on the Red Sox' Web site. ``I've got five more years of good performances but I also think I've done all right with money - I think I'm good - but having the chance to be around my kids and participate in that stuff, that wouldn't be a bad thing.''

Had Damon, who went 3-for-5 last night to raise his average to .368, not won a World Series ring with the Red Sox last season, he would not even harbor a thought such as hanging up his spikes as he enters his free agent year.

His primary goal remains re-signing with the Red Sox but that bridge looks as if it is not going to be crossed before the offseason. If he and the team cannot agree on a deal, Damon will consider a National League squad, but he wants a five-year deal.

``The Red Sox are the No. 1 team obviously for me but I know there would be a handful of teams I would consider,'' Damon said. ``If the Red Sox don't want me, obviously I'm going to be looking at a few big areas. It would be tough to play for the Yankees but it's not a definite `no' but it would be tough because my heart belongs in Boston. I think all of our fans know I want to stay there.''

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...articleid=81334

Someone should remind a guy that averages .287 with 14 HR's and 72 RBI a season that he can't demand a 5 year contract at $15 million per, and expect someone to pay it. This "rockstar" status has gone to his head.

Here's hoping, bye bye Johnny.

Where does he say he wants 15 a year?

And if anything, the guy is getting better with age...I dont think he is in his prime yet.

And I love the 'rock star' mentality of a guy who wants to spend more time with his kids.

Plus, I have seen articles that say he was just throwing 'retiring' out there to show that he is very content with his career and family life right now, and that it is so good, it wouldnt be a big deal for him to retire.

Keep slinging mud buddy.

And if anything, the guy is getting better with age...I dont think he is in his prime yet.

And I love the 'rock star' mentality of a guy who wants to spend more time with his kids.

Plus, I have seen articles that say he was just throwing 'retiring' out there to show that he is very content with his career and family life right now, and that it is so good, it wouldnt be a big deal for him to retire.

Keep slinging mud buddy.

761742[/snapback]

The rockstar mentality comes from him overexposing himself to the point of embarassment, he had to clarify what he said in his own book...yeah, that's responsible.

He has said that he wanted a 5 year $15 million a year contract (at least that was according to Mike and the Mad Dog when they raised the possibility of him playing for the Yankees after his (Damon's) visit with Regis).

He isn't "getting better" with age if his ambiguous game as a leadoff hitter sees decreased steals every year since 2002, coupled with an increase in strikeouts every year since 1999.

Sorry, I don't think being a recognizable player makes someone "good."

Keep slinging mud buddy.

761742[/snapback]

The rockstar mentality comes from him overexposing himself to the point of embarassment, he had to clarify what he said in his own book...yeah, that's responsible.

He has said that he wanted a 5 year $15 million a year contract (at least that was according to Mike and the Mad Dog when they raised the possibility of him playing for the Yankees after his (Damon's) visit with Regis).

He isn't "getting better" with age if his ambiguous game as a leadoff hitter sees decreased steals every year since 2002, coupled with an increase in strikeouts every year since 1999.

762506[/snapback]

Ive never seen him say the 15 million thing, but if you want to go by Sports Radio fodder for your info...fine by me.

And wouldnt you consider the dropoff in steals due to the fact that the Red Sox are a typical power type team that hardly ever runs. He doesnt get the chances to steal as he had in KC and OAK. In stead of blindly looking at those numbers, instead of looking at his role on the team, then you will always get a biased and wrong view.

His strikeouts have increased...but dont you think that is because of his agressiveness at the plate (not much bunting or slap hits) which results in more homers and RBIs?

And he isnt getting better with age? In 2004 he had a career high in RBIs, HRs, 2nd highest in OBP and Slugging. 2nd highest total in hits. Career high in walks (The job of a leadoff man is to get on base isnt it?).

Lets compare other AL leadoff men in 2004 to Damon: (I omit Ichiro because there is no debate he is the best leadoff man in baseball)

Damon: .304/20/94/.380

Derek Jeter: .292/23/78/.352

Shannon Stewart: .304/11/47/.380

Willie Harris: .262/2/27/.343

David Eckstein: .276/2/35/.339

Brian Roberts: .273/4/53/.344

Mark Kotsay: .306/15/63/.370

Coco Crisp: .297/15/71/.344

Damon was .002 behind first in batting average, tops in homers, tops in RBIs, and tops in OBP.

So for you to say just because he is a 'name' doesnt mean he is 'good'...well, unless you dont consider being the 2nd best leadoff man in the AL 'good'...

For once would you please get off your soap box about your hate for the Red Sox, their fans, and players and stop blind hate and actually be mature on a subject?

If he wants 15M a year Pierre could easily ask for 18M a year.

762519[/snapback]

Pierre had a lower OBP, less RBIs, less homers, and less runs, lower slugging, and less total bases.

Damon was successful in his steal attempts 70% of the time to Pierre's 65%.

I dont know where you guys get off that Damon is so crappy....besides the fact that you hate Boston.

Keep slinging mud buddy.

761742[/snapback]

762506[/snapback]

Ive never seen him say the 15 million thing, but if you want to go by Sports Radio fodder for your info...fine by me.

And wouldnt you consider the dropoff in steals due to the fact that the Red Sox are a typical power type team that hardly ever runs. He doesnt get the chances to steal as he had in KC and OAK. In stead of blindly looking at those numbers, instead of looking at his role on the team, then you will always get a biased and wrong view.

His strikeouts have increased...but dont you think that is because of his agressiveness at the plate (not much bunting or slap hits) which results in more homers and RBIs?

And he isnt getting better with age? In 2004 he had a career high in RBIs, HRs, 2nd highest in OBP and Slugging. 2nd highest total in hits. Career high in walks (The job of a leadoff man is to get on base isnt it?).

Lets compare other AL leadoff men in 2004 to Damon: (I omit Ichiro because there is no debate he is the best leadoff man in baseball)

Damon: .304/20/94/.380

Derek Jeter: .292/23/78/.352

Shannon Stewart: .304/11/47/.380

Willie Harris: .262/2/27/.343

David Eckstein: .276/2/35/.339

Brian Roberts: .273/4/53/.344

Mark Kotsay: .306/15/63/.370

Coco Crisp: .297/15/71/.344

Damon was .002 behind first in batting average, tops in homers, tops in RBIs, and tops in OBP.

So for you to say just because he is a 'name' doesnt mean he is 'good'...well, unless you dont consider being the 2nd best leadoff man in the AL 'good'...

For once would you please get off your soap box about your hate for the Red Sox, their fans, and players and stop blind hate and actually be mature on a subject?

762545[/snapback]

Hey, I'm not saying Damon's bad, but if you look at the guys that you threw out, you didn't really put out anyone with superb stats for what you look for in the leadoff hole. You omit Ichiro (fairly, because I agree that it's not fair to compare anyone to him), but for most of the guys you listed, 2004 wasn't exactly their "career" years, yet by your own admission, 2004 was Damon's career year.

And about the SB thing, he was caught 8 times in 27 attempts, a 70% success rate, which isn't exactly great...I don't watch every Red Sox game, maybe the decline in success had as much to do with him slowing the running game down as does the potent offense behind him.

I'm not quite sure where you're going with this... Is it that Damon is the best leadoff man not named Ichiro, or is it that he's the best centerfielder, because I really don't think either of those are true, and when you've got an "inbetween" player like Damon, getting a big head is a dangerous thing to do.

...and RBI and HR aren't typical stats you look for from a leadoff guy.

One more thing that you forgot to give Damon credit for, and abnormally large number of strikeouts for an "elite" leadoff hitter: 71. To compare, Kotsay had 70, Stewart 44, Pierre 35, and Eckstein 49.

You totally fall back on your statement...which is being a 'name' doesnt make you 'good'. That is what I am attacking.

Damon is good, to say he isnt is totally stupid. My point is that to dog him when in fact the numbers have him at all-star quality last year, is stupid and not factual.

2004 was his 2nd best year, and I believe he is improving as is shown by his .365/1/17 start to this year and the way he has been playing from a guy who has seen him all his years in Boston.

And because you wrote a book and your publicist gets you gigs on national TV shows (he is the most pop culture member of the defending champions for gods sake) means you get a big head?

To say he is an inbetween player is a bias of being a fan of NL ball, which is much different then that of the AL. A lead off man for the slugging teams means, get on base, knock in the 7,8, and 9 guys. It doesnt mean for them to single handedly manufacture runs. He is a great fit for a high octane offense like the Sox have.

One more thing that you forgot to give Damon credit for, and abnormally large number of strikeouts for an "elite" leadoff hitter: 71. To compare, Kotsay had 70, Stewart 44, Pierre 35, and Eckstein 49.

762561[/snapback]

So you should take those very good numbers away from him because they are atypical? Show me a manager who wouldnt want that pop from their leadoff man, and Ill show you a pig that flys.

But yet he had a higher on base percentage (a typical leadoff stat) then all of them besides Kotsay (and that was by .002). So it didnt hurt him.

One more thing that you forgot to give Damon credit for, and abnormally large number of strikeouts for an "elite" leadoff hitter: 71.? To compare, Kotsay had 70, Stewart 44, Pierre 35, and Eckstein 49.

762561[/snapback]

So you should take those very good numbers away from him because they are atypical? Show me a manager who wouldnt want that pop from their leadoff man, and Ill show you a pig that flys.

But yet he had a higher on base percentage (a typical leadoff stat) then all of them besides Kotsay (and that was by .002). So it didnt hurt him.

762573[/snapback]

Buck Showalter...he moved Soriano to the 3-hole while putting up superior power and steal numbers as a leadoff hitter in a high-octane AL lineup, going to another high-octane AL lineup.

I'm waiting for my flying pig. :thumbup

762561[/snapback]

762573[/snapback]

Buck Showalter...he moved Soriano to the 3-hole while putting up superior power and steal numbers.

762582[/snapback]

He didnt punish him for putting up those numbers..he put him in the order where your most productive hitter goes. Showalter gladly accepted that pop at 1.

Damon cant move down...he has Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz in those spots.

I just want you to retract your statement that Damon is not 'good'. There are 10-15 teams that could have Damon as a very productive no.3 hitter.

Thanks for bypassing the other facts in my post too! :thumbup

Id love to continue this, but I have 2 exams tommorrow. Catch you on the flip side.

One more thing that you forgot to give Damon credit for, and abnormally large number of strikeouts for an "elite" leadoff hitter: 71.? To compare, Kotsay had 70, Stewart 44, Pierre 35, and Eckstein 49.

762561[/snapback]

762573[/snapback]

Buck Showalter...he moved Soriano to the 3-hole while putting up superior power and steal numbers.

762582[/snapback]

He didnt punish him for putting up those numbers..he put him in the order where your most productive hitter goes. Showalter gladly accepted that pop at 1.

I just want you to retract your statement that Damon is not 'good'. There are 10-15 teams that could have Damon as a very productive no.3 hitter.

Id love to continue this, but I have 2 exams tommorrow. Catch you on the flip side.

762586[/snapback]

That thumbup pisses so many people off, classic.

I still want my pig, because Showalter moved a capable lead-off hitter (by your standard) down in a lineup where there were already the potent bats of Blalock and Teixeria.

Anyway, I think that Damon is overrated, he's good, but he's living off his reputation as the face of the franchise, this is just my opinion, but if he didn't grow the hair and beard to a ridiculous degree (prompting the WWJDD?), he would just be another guy in the string of things behind Manny, Ortiz, Pedro and Schilling. He's been an All-Star once, and this is with Red Sox nation stuffing the ballot box for him too.

I don't think this is getting anywhere, you're obviously a Damon fan (evidenced by the "Passion" reference), but I won't back down from my assertion that Damon is being pig-headed in demanding to be paid like an "elite" player when he clearly isn't. He's not great defensively, he's ambiguous offensively, and he's a walking "misquote" off the field, I think the market runs thinner for him than even the list of 6 he's put together, especially at his price.

762519[/snapback]

Pierre had a lower OBP, less RBIs, less homers, and less runs, lower slugging, and less total bases.

I dont know where you guys get off that Damon is so crappy....besides the fact that you hate Boston.

762548[/snapback]

The AL has gone to your head...

Guest Fritz

If you're looking for Johnny Damon [stats, news] next summer, you might have better luck at Disney World or on a lake near his Orlando home rather than on a baseball field.

Hmmm..... Disney fan, huh?

762760[/snapback]

It might have something to do with the association between Orlando and Disney. Then again, he could be a Disney fan.

762561[/snapback]

762573[/snapback]

762582[/snapback]

762586[/snapback]

That thumbup pisses so many people off, classic.

I still want my pig, because Showalter moved a capable lead-off hitter (by your standard) down in a lineup where there were already the potent bats of Blalock and Teixeria.

Anyway, I think that Damon is overrated, he's good, but he's living off his reputation as the face of the franchise, this is just my opinion, but if he didn't grow the hair and beard to a ridiculous degree (prompting the WWJDD?), he would just be another guy in the string of things behind Manny, Ortiz, Pedro and Schilling. He's been an All-Star once, and this is with Red Sox nation stuffing the ballot box for him too.

I don't think this is getting anywhere, you're obviously a Damon fan (evidenced by the "Passion" reference), but I won't back down from my assertion that Damon is being pig-headed in demanding to be paid like an "elite" player when he clearly isn't. He's not great defensively, he's ambiguous offensively, and he's a walking "misquote" off the field, I think the market runs thinner for him than even the list of 6 he's put together, especially at his price.

762595[/snapback]

And you say he is overrated...but who overrates him? I mean the man did have a huge post season for the eventual champions, hes good looking, and he had a marriage which got him another ring, so hes a story and a target for lame ESPN fodder...dont hold that against his game.

I still have yet to see where he 'demands' this contract you are saying.

Plus, its very ignorant to characterize how a person is by how he wants to grow his hair/look. Plus, he has never promoted his Jesus like tag...

"People were calling me so many different things," says Damon, who particularly enjoys the Jesus tag. "I find it funny. Of course I'm not even close to the man he is but it's funny. It gives people something to talk about."

And I know you write off everyone of my posts as 'homerism' by just looking at my handle (The Passion is a reference to Damon, as when I first heard that nickname I thought it was hillarious, but he has never been a big favorite of mine personally). But Im not going to let the players on the Red Sox get s*** on constantly, just because they won a world series.

I never bitched about Miguel Cabrera being a media darling after their title...wasnt he on the cover of ESPN with two scantily clad women? Or how Dontrelle Willis' website is a commercial for his memorabillia? Or the playboy attitude of your starting rotation?

Why? Because its pointless and immature. I care about Damon the player and thats about it. If you are constantly going by how well a player plays or how he is by the s*** ESPN and other channels churn out, then go right ahead. But dont let it skew your view of reality.

His agent is Scott Boras, Im sure he will make some absurd demand, and I dont think Boston will pay that, especially with the way this team is going. Players demand crap all the time (even though Damon hasnt) and they have that right by going through free agency. (Whats more ridiculous...12 million for Damon or 8 million for Al Leiter)?

762519[/snapback]

762548[/snapback]

The AL has gone to your head...

762614[/snapback]

Great point you made in your post.

I love your ability to re-size quoted text.