Observations from a front row view

Lefty

Ok, let me start by saying that this loss was tough for me to sit through. At the game, nobody in the stands really got hyped (mainly because Clemens was dominating). I was sitting in the founder's field seats, about as close as you can get to the field, maybe 15-20 feet from 1st base.

I showed up at the game at 5:15, waited until the gates opened at 5:30 and quickly made my way to the seats. Just as I entered the seating area, Miguel Cabrera was walking by, and my girlfriend (latina) waived him down. He gave us both an autograph, and he seemed very nice and, for lack of a better word, chilled.

Then I saw Niner, Lowell, Delgado and Encarnacion in the batting cages, and none of them would come, let alone answer me (there was also this pathetic little kid next to me trying to get them to come, but I guess they have no heart).

About 10 minutes later, Luis Castillo and Mota walk right by the seats, and Luis is about to stop, but Mota pulled him away and told him (in Spanish) not to sign any balls. I think that was a d*ck thing for Mota to do, and apparently, everyone else around me thought that as well. (All good Mota. You sit on your lazy ass and heal you widdle arm, because you are worthless right now). Anyway, Luis got hurt tonight, and I guess you can call it karma. I have a terrific camera shot of him coming up limp, grabbing at his hip, and I'll try to post it sometime this week (I also have about 40 other pictures that I need to develop).

Todd Jones is one of the classiest and nicest guys I've ever seen. First of all, he seemed to be roaming around nonstop from the bullpen to the dugout before the game. He took a picture for me, and other people as well. But this is the moment that I think makes him a great guy---An old man wanted a picture of Matt Treanor, but he kinda walked by and didn't notice. Todd went to the old man, took his camera, and walked to Matt, then took his picture, and gave the camera back to the old man. (I told Todd that was nice when he walked by). Again, he kept walking back and forth across the 1st base line, and he was saying hi to people when they tried to talk to him.

Jeff Bagwell is a d*ck as well (sorry!). Very early, at like 5:40, the little kid next to me was trying to get his attention (he was maybe 20 feet away), and he completely ignored him, wouldn't even turn around to wave or anything (and before you say anything, just about all the players at least looked up and waved out of courtesy).

Roger is a very big man (roids), and apparently he can hit well. But his pitching is still phenomenal, and he was making the Fish look like little leaguer's. A few things I noticed during the game from an offensive standpoint:

--Everytime they got the lead-off man on base, they did nothing to try to advance him. It seemed like everyone was trying to hit a home run off Clemens. There were very few ground balls once men were on base, from what I saw. We couldn't put together two consecutive hits, or even a sac fly, and that led to our ultimate demise.

--AJ had good stuff most of the game, but he was laboring. I don't know how many pitches he threw, but tonight he didn't seem to be in the 'zone'. He had 9 K's (I think), and let up 6 hits (I think), but he wasn't at his best.

--Although I hate to say it, Delgado probably made the worst play of the night. On the triple by Ensberg (?) in the 7th, Delgado could have reached that ball. Whether he was playing too far off the line, or if he just timed it wrong, it was a fieldable ball. I mean, I was literally feet away from the play, and I saw it happen. He just seemed so slow moving toward it. Anyway, that cost us the game IMO.

--Mike Lowell looks even worse in person than he does on TV, and I'm not talking about his physical attributes. He swings like a little girl, and I say that in the kindest way possible. I just can't watch him bat anymore--it's too painful. Pop up, pop up, pop up, bloop single, pop up, pop up...He doesn't even hit ground balls anymore :( , and when he does--they are pathetic ground balls.

--Bump looks great. His delivery looks better than ever, and from my angle (I could see the curvature of the ball as it was pitched), his location and control was fantastic. I look forward to more of him! And Mecir did very good as well.

--2 out hitting was not our forte this evening. Several times, with men in scoring position, we couldn't do anything with 2 outs. I guess it's expected, because we can't keep doing that all year.

All in all, it was a solid pitching effort, but one or two fielding miscues cost us the game. You can't expect them to put up big numbers against the Rocket, and Burnett and co. did a commendable job. I think I am going to another game next month in those same seats, and now that I know what to expect, I'll be better prepared and I'll try to get more autographs :)

BTW, I found it ironic that the only player to sign a ball for me was Cabrera, and he is the best player (he has a pretty deep voice as well!). Sorry for the longevity--just wanted to fit as much as I could remember.

Oh! And the Mermaids are looking very very nice. Their coreography seems much better than the past two years, and they are much better looking than before (no offense to anyone!).

Cheers.

Guest Juanky

Yeah Todd Jones is a cool guy, you should read his column from time to time.

And it sucks having three automatic outs in the lineup most days right now.

7-8-9 kid

:p

Lately Lowell's had better swings then Enc :thumbup Enc's not hitting under .200 :thumbup

768543[/snapback]

That's what hot starts do to ya, give 'em time to come back down to earth :thumbup In the last 7 days, Lowell's OBP is .333 - wouldn't call that a guarenteed out at all. Gonzo, well .. yeah, .087 OBP in past 7 days is just disgusting.

How was the seats? I was thinking of getting these for a birthday sometime in the future. They seem great, and indoor BP seems amazing. Is it what they are hyped up to be? You only got to speak with Cabs and TJ?

Although I hate to say it, Delgado probably made the worst play of the night. On the triple by Ensberg (?) in the 7th, Delgado could have reached that ball. Whether he was playing too far off the line, or if he just timed it wrong, it was a fieldable ball. I mean, I was literally feet away from the play, and I saw it happen. He just seemed so slow moving toward it. Anyway, that cost us the game IMO.

Sorry to break this to you, but it wasn't Delgado's fault. He is not a great fielder to begin with and the ball was hit to the corner. However, Encarnacion showed no disposition at all to run it down. He kept trotting after it like he did not care or wanted to get hurt or something. If Alex does the same thing he would have been benched. Yesterday, it was also his fault that Barmes hit an inside the park HR. If he had dived for the ball he could have at least blocked it with his body, rather than trying to make a basket catch and failing miserable in the attempt (again, he wasn't even trying). That and the early white flag from McKeon costed us the game.

It's like Encarnacion does not want to get hurt. I only wish he does so Conine can start. At least he plays all the way and does not whine like a little baby for not playing. And no, this is not another I-hate-Encarnacion thread. I have never been a fan of the guy and I never will be. I have a lot of respect for guys like Luis and Pierre who play even if they are hurting, for guys like Lowell and Alex who are trying really hard at hitting better and do not let their frustrations affect their defense. But I have little respect for guys who do not play the game hard as it should be played and for those who forget that they play baseball for kids and not for money... oh well...

Jeff Bagwell is a d*ck as well (sorry!). Very early, at like 5:40, the little kid next to me was trying to get his attention (he was maybe 20 feet away), and he completely ignored him, wouldn't even turn around to wave or anything (and before you say anything, just about all the players at least looked up and waved out of courtesy).

768514[/snapback]

That happens alot with visiting teams. When Mets come to Shea, the Marlins completely ignore fans on sidelines. I always line up on third base/left field line with others and we try to get the Marlins to come over (they're about 5 feet away) and they ignore us. I think it's just how players act when they're away.

Although I hate to say it, Delgado probably made the worst play of the night. On the triple by Ensberg (?) in the 7th, Delgado could have reached that ball. Whether he was playing too far off the line, or if he just timed it wrong, it was a fieldable ball. I mean, I was literally feet away from the play, and I saw it happen. He just seemed so slow moving toward it. Anyway, that cost us the game IMO.

Sorry to break this to you, but it wasn't Delgado's fault. He is not a great fielder to begin with and the ball was hit to the corner. However, Encarnacion showed no disposition at all to run it down. He kept trotting after it like he did not care or wanted to get hurt or something. If Alex does the same thing he would have been benched. Yesterday, it was also his fault that Barmes hit an inside the park HR. If he had dived for the ball he could have at least blocked it with his body, rather than trying to make a basket catch and failing miserable in the attempt (again, he wasn't even trying). That and the early white flag from McKeon costed us the game.

It's like Encarnacion does not want to get hurt. I only wish he does so Conine can start. At least he plays all the way and does not whine like a little baby for not playing. And no, this is not another I-hate-Encarnacion thread. I have never been a fan of the guy and I never will be. I have a lot of respect for guys like Luis and Pierre who play even if they are hurting, for guys like Lowell and Alex who are trying really hard at hitting better and do not let their frustrations affect their defense. But I have little respect for guys who do not play the game hard as it should be played and for those who forget that they play baseball for kids and not for money... oh well...

768581[/snapback]

Sorry man, but I was sitting right in front of the guy. Delgado looked very lethargic moving for the ball, and seemed like he was already too far off the bag.

Anyway, Foladar--Yep, everyone else either ignored me or just kinda waved. Oh, I also spoke with Craig and got his picture. Seats are great--as close as you can get. You are literally on the field, and you can smell Delgado's cologne (well not really). Before the game, the players walk within feet of you, and during the game, the vantage point is awesome.

Only drawbacks are that you can't see location of pitches. You can tell the height and type of pitch, but there is no way of seeing if it is inside or outside. But that's just a minor setback.

Indoor BP looks pretty ruddy from the outside, but the inside is very nice. They go there before the game (some of them), and I suppose if you bang on the glass, sometimes they come out to sign an autograph or two.

You are level with the playing field, which makes the game even more fun to watch. When players are at 1st base, you can see them perfectly (like I said earlier, it's literally about 15 feet away). Great seats, and I can only assume that they are even better if the Marlins win :(

768514[/snapback]

That happens alot with visiting teams. When Mets come to Shea, the Marlins completely ignore fans on sidelines. I always line up on third base/left field line with others and we try to get the Marlins to come over (they're about 5 feet away) and they ignore us. I think it's just how players act when they're away.

768621[/snapback]

It may be a function of where they're playing. When I saw the Marlins in Colorado last year, just about every one of them stopped by the third base wall to sign autographs and chat. It was pretty cool.

768514[/snapback]

768621[/snapback]

It may be a function of where they're playing. When I saw the Marlins in Colorado last year, just about every one of them stopped by the third base wall to sign autographs and chat. It was pretty cool.

768737[/snapback]

Hey, I was there too. Besides Chad Fox, every one of them came by during that series.

At home they mostly ignore fans. The few exceptions were JP, Willis and last year Manzy. Compared to most baseball players, they are overly nice.

My seats are right by the visiting team's bullpen and usually the other team have no problem signing stuff. The rockies and reds both had guys come sign cards, hats and balls for fans. The Astros are probably just a-holes.

--Mike Lowell looks even worse in person than he does on TV, and I'm not talking about his physical attributes. He swings like a little girl, and I say that in the kindest way possible. I just can't watch him bat anymore--it's too painful. Pop up, pop up, pop up, bloop single, pop up, pop up...He doesn't even hit ground balls anymore :( , and when he does--they are pathetic ground balls.

768514[/snapback]

Btw: he wasn't swinging bad yesterday. He had a few great swings, one that he just got under.

Fans who feel as entitled as you do, Leftypower, turn players off from wanting to interact with fans.

768776[/snapback]

LOL. I'm entitled to get an autograph if I happily call out 'Mikey!' after paying 60 dollars for good seats. Shaddup.

WOW! SIXTY DOLLARS!! you know what, youre right, they should have stopped doing their job, dropped everything, and went outside the stadium and washed your car. Everything you wrote is ignorant, and its great how you sound happy our second baseman, who happens to be very nice, got hurt because he didnt sign for you. JACKASS

the most nice and polite marlins players are juan pierre,miguel,and encarnacion who always throw the balls they catch in the outfield to fans my friend caught one on sunday from pierre it jammed his mom's finger.another nice guy is todd jones even in philly during the rain he was nice to people by throwing some baseballs to fans that stayed at the stadium until 12:00 am.the rest of the marlin players are just ignorant like mota.

the most nice and polite marlins players are juan pierre,miguel,and encarnacion who always throw the balls they catch in the outfield to fans my friend caught one on sunday from pierre it jammed his mom's finger.another nice guy is todd jones even in philly during the rain he was nice to people by throwing some baseballs to fans that stayed at the stadium until 12:00 am.the rest of the marlin players are just ignorant like mota.

768830[/snapback]

Don't call them ignorant, it's not their job to sign autographs for fans. Hell, it's not even normal for them to walk by fans who are going to their seats.

Fans who feel as entitled as you do, Leftypower, turn players off from wanting to interact with fans.

768776[/snapback]

LOL. I'm entitled to get an autograph if I happily call out 'Mikey!' after paying 60 dollars for good seats. Shaddup.

768798[/snapback]

Batter's Box is the place to get autographs. Paying that price should entitle you to get autographs, which is why I wished misfortune on Counsel when he didn't sign my autograph the one time I sat there. As a result, he got nailed by a pitch in the jaw the next night. :o

Wow, you guys sound really childish cursing out and wishing ill guys who don't sign autographs for you. Ever gone to football camp? The only ones who sign are rookie free agents. Conisder yourself lucky some guys even sign before a game. That's the time for focusing on the game.

What an asinine opening comment. This moron judges his experience and how he feels about players by whether or not they sign an autograph for him. And actually rejoices to see our second baseman hurt. Take that videotape and stick it you know where. And yes, we know that you were 15 feet away. But I and everyone around me near home plate could see that that was a stop that Lee makes, but Delgado does not. We know that about him going in. The response that Encarnacion loafed and allowed a double to turn into a triple was right on. Maybe if you weren't so busy trying to sniff Degado's cologne you would have seen what the rest of us did.