What I wish would happen....

NirvanaNole

1. Trade Lowell to the Dodgers for pitching prospects.

2. Trade Enc to someone for a pitching prospect.

3. Use the prospects we acquired and some of our own to trade for Dunn. He may K a lot and have a low BA, but he may lead the league in HRs and his OB% is close to .400.

1. Castillo

2. Lo Duca

3. Dunn (RF)

4. Cabrera (3B)

5. Delgado

6. Willingham/Conine (LF)

7. Pierre

8. Gonzo

:thumbup

If that offense couldn't produce, I'd give up on the year.

I like that idea, although it's a long procedure. We'd hit a lot of home runs with that lineup, and getting rid of 2 starters for 1 might actually work. And the way it's been lately, it would only be 1 starter for 1 starter because Lowell hasn't even been playing good enough for the bench. And I think I'd want Josh at 3b instead of Miguel.

Guest Fritz

I like that idea, although it's a long procedure. We'd hit a lot of home runs with that lineup, and getting rid of 2 starters for 1 might actually work. And the way it's been lately, it would only be 1 starter for 1 starter because Lowell hasn't even been playing good enough for the bench. And I think I'd want Josh at 3b instead of Miguel.

820338[/snapback]

Josh Willingham at 3B?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Forgive me if your post is intended to be satire...

I'm sorry, but that's the worst idea I've ever heard.

The season is too early and the Marlins have invested too much on this team to give up now.

Dunn is overrated.? He either strikes out or hits a solo home run.? And it's usually the former.

820345[/snapback]

He'd immediately be one of our top four hitters. He is a patient hitter and being wasted where he is in Cinci's lineup. Teams would have to give him better pitches to see with Cabrera/Delgado behind him. His batting average would be much better on our team.

He's Ked 76 times to Cabrera's 47, Delgado's 57, and Enc's 56. He's walked 17 more times than anyone on our team. Of our starters, only Delgado and Castillo have a higher OB%, and only Delgado has a higher OPS. The fact he has 37 RBIs and 18 HRs is further proof that pitchers don't give him much to hit unless no one is on base. Put him in the middle of the lineup and the pitchers can't pitch around him.

Given his numbers with RISP and the numbers of the other players in the lineup, I don't think he would solve anything.

820351[/snapback]

With RISP, his OB% is .466. Like I said, put him in the third hole on our team and pitchers can't pitch around him. If they want to keep walking him with RISP, it would give more chances to Cabrera and Delgado.

For the life of me I cannot figure out the fascination some have over Adam Dunn -- yes he has mammoth power but offers very little aside from the 45 solo home runs and quite frankly, the walks he takes are all but negated by the ridiculous strikeout numbers he will put up. He's a career .206 hitter with RISP -- no thank you. He hasn't been "pitched around" in Cinci -- guys like Casey, Griffey, Pena offer plenty of support, he is just an all of nothing type of hitter -- which is not what we need.

Why are strikeouts so bad? It's not like our team takes the extra base on a flyball or any time for that matter. There is very little benefit to putting the ball in play. Would you rather have Lowell GIDP?

While we're discussing trades... how about...

- Trade Lowell and either Pierre or Encarnacion

- Use the acquisitions to acquire Mark Kotsay, Zach Day and Joe Horgan (maybe keep a minor league hitting prospect out of the litter)

- Slot Kotsay and Willingham into the lineup.

i think peoples fascination with him is when they see the bombs that he hits in the G.A.B and they would like to see a solo 500 ft bomb in a meaningless first inning over a clutch basehit. No way would i want this guy even if he hits bombs, besides we already have some lefty that can shell out bombs. Del......something

820338[/snapback]

Josh Willingham at 3B?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

820344[/snapback]

well he does play 3b too

Whats the problem here? We are not at the half way mark yet and we are still over .500. We have to wait until atleast the all star break for us to start making any trades. A month ago wasnt lowell batting around .200? He is now 20 points higher, which still isnt good but he is slowly imrpoving. If by the all star break he isnt over .230 then maybe you can start to panic on him.

Whats the problem here? We are not at the half way mark yet and we are still over .500. We have to wait until atleast the all star break for us to start making any trades. A month ago wasnt lowell batting around .200? He is now 20 points higher, which still isnt good but he is slowly imrpoving. If by the all star break he isnt over .230 then maybe you can start to panic on him.

820502[/snapback]

so we can start panicking at about the 90 game mark or so?

1. Trade Lowell to the Dodgers for pitching prospects.

2. Trade Enc to someone for a pitching prospect.

3. Use the prospects we acquired and some of our own to trade for Dunn. He may K a lot and have a low BA, but he may lead the league in HRs and his OB% is close to .400.

1. Castillo

2. Lo Duca

3. Dunn (RF)

4. Cabrera (3B)

5. Delgado

6. Willingham/Conine (LF)

7. Pierre

8. Gonzo

If that offense couldn't produce, I'd give up on the year.

820325[/snapback]

Thats a good lineup but i would like to see Cabrera and Delgado in front of done, just because he K to much.

Nass yes, Lowell, NO...

You dont trade a player like this for prospects because of a slump

820487[/snapback]

is this a slump?.... or is this a sign of the future?

820492[/snapback]

Jeff Conine 1997. That sure wasn't a sign of the future.

820527[/snapback]

so you give me 1 example... Im sure there are some going the other way too

For the life of me I cannot figure out the fascination some have over Adam Dunn -- yes he has mammoth power but offers very little aside from the 45 solo home runs and quite frankly, the walks he takes are all but negated by the ridiculous strikeout numbers he will put up. He's a career .206 hitter with RISP -- no thank you. He hasn't been "pitched around" in Cinci -- guys like Casey, Griffey, Pena offer plenty of support, he is just an all of nothing type of hitter -- which is not what we need.

820372[/snapback]

You do realize that he usualy hits 5th in Cinci and at least two of them are always in front of him, right? How is that support?

He wouldn't hit third here.? He isn't Jack's type of player and I don't blame him.

820625[/snapback]

Fine. Let him hit 5th. He's twice the hitter Lowell ever will be.

820634[/snapback]

Yeah, but my point is, if he walks, that won't help a whole lot. Marlins need people to drive the ball with RISP. The bottom of the order hasn't been doing a whole lot lately and you have JP down there.

820639[/snapback]

Like I said, hit him third. He'll get on base a lot for Cabrera and Delgado to drive him in. Plus, he'll see better pitches there and will probably hit .260-.270. He played 2 game sin the three hole in Cinci and magically hit over .380. When teams are forced to pitch to him, he hits for a much higher average than people give him credit for.

Also, Conine/Willingham would hit sixth. Or, if they leave Pierre at the top, Lo Duca would hit sixth. I'd take all three of those guys over Enc.

He wouldn't hit third here.? He isn't Jack's type of player and I don't blame him.

820625[/snapback]

Fine. Let him hit 5th. He's twice the hitter Lowell ever will be.

820634[/snapback]

Yeah, but my point is, if he walks, that won't help a whole lot. Marlins need people to drive the ball with RISP. The bottom of the order hasn't been doing a whole lot lately and you have JP down there.

820639[/snapback]

Like I said, hit him third. He'll get on base a lot for Cabrera and Delgado to drive him in. Plus, he'll see better pitches there and will probably hit .260-.270. He played 2 game sin the three hole in Cinci and magically hit over .380. When teams are forced to pitch to him, he hits for a much higher average than people give him credit for.

Also, Conine/Willingham would hit sixth. Or, if they leave Pierre at the top, Lo Duca would hit sixth. I'd take all three of those guys over Enc.

820651[/snapback]

a .230 hitter who doesn't hit a lick with RISP in the 3-hole? Thank god you arent our manager -- I didn't think it was possible to have a worse offense than we do, but you'd probably give a good run for their money with that order. :thumbup

A high OBP doesn't always mean a player is doing his job in the three hole -- if someone like Todd Helton (before this year at least) is hitting .320+ and taking walks, then it's a different story. The guys getting on base need to be the top two in the order, the middle of the order guys should bring them in.

Dunn is a terrible fit here, an all or nothing lefty in Dolphins Stadium has disaster written all over it -- not all of his HR's go 550 feet like they seem, and the ones that don't get out will make his average drop even further. As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of his and just think the fit is a terrible one. I would much rather have a high-average with modest power hitter(Michael Young-type) than I would a Dunn. His age and power will cost us an arm and a leg and I just don't think it's worth it.

I'm a big Kotsay fan -- who someone suggested earlier -- but he too probably isn't the best fit here. He's more of a Pierre/Castillo(run scorers) replacement than he is a Lowell/Enc(run producers) replacement.

I'm a big Kotsay fan -- who someone suggested earlier -- but he too probably isn't the best fit here. He's more of a Pierre/Castillo(run scorers) replacement than he is a Lowell/Enc(run producers) replacement.

820674[/snapback]

You need both to score runs.

820674[/snapback]

You need both to score runs.

820714[/snapback]

And we already have Pierre, Castillo, Lo Duca who belong in the 1-2 slots in any order. Kotsay would add to the redundancy. We need run producers -- that isn't Kotsay's forte.