Time for a little realism

Guest markotsay7

Guest markotsay7

I have been a member of this community for as long as I can remember - I'm sure people like Admin and Das and Mav can attest to that. I've been here so long that I was here when these boards were the old "official" Marlins boards. I was here when the boards were hosted on thestands.com (no longer in existence). I've been here through countless revisions of the current boards (although at a time under a different user name, due to some issues). If you could look at my posts over the years I think you'd all see that I'm not only generally optimistic, but realistic - which is really the most important thing.

Can this team contend right now, this year? Yes. Can we the way that we've been playing? No. It's quite obvious that changes need to be made. I'm still wavering on whether or not AJ or Mike or Enc should be traded, though I lean toward yes for the first, no to the second, and somewhere in the middle on the third.

I'm plain sick of the sellers versus buyers debate. There is a middle ground and that's exactly where we need to be. As many ways as you try to play around with the payroll for 2006, or come up with reasons why AJ will resign with us, he isn't. When he says he wants to test the market, it isn't because he just wants to chat it up with some GMs of other teams and get a free meal out if it. It's clear that he wants out, and there's absolutely no reason to hang on to him when we can actually get something helpful in return.

Brian Moehler should be traded. Teams are desperate for capable starting pitchers. Moe's got a 3.43 ERA which looks great, and he's gotten press for the lack of run support our guys have given him. Over the last month his ERA has steadily risen from 2.70 to its current 3.43. In his last two starts he's gone 11 innings and given up 7 runs. Teams will want him for what he looks like - a great story of a guy who has a tiny contract pitching like a 2 or 3 starter, but we'll get rid of him before he becomes what he's starting to become already - a good 5th starter.

Now I know a lot of the 12 year olds who base their facts on the three Marlins games that they've watched in a row are going to cry, "But that's 2/5 of our starting rotation!" We're gonna get back a starter, if not two, from any deal we're considering for Burnett. For Moehler we need to either get a pen arm or package him with Enc and get an outfielder.

And that's my two cents. Take it or leave it.

I agree that we should trade AJ Burnett because we probably aren't going to resign him in the coming offseason.

However, I disagree that Brian Moehler should be traded. He has worked many innings lately and is just plain tired. Some extra rest could possibly do some good for him and we would hope that these are only two unlucky starts against some great offensive teams.

Trade AJ? Trade ENC? Trade Lowell?

Right. Right. Wrong.

If the Marlins have any kind of option on Moehler I would keep him as far as AJ definitely move him , Encarncion move him , Lowell listen but move only if he brings back something of major value however I think i would rather keep Lowell because his defense and if Gonzalez leaves your still solid at 3rd and 2nd and that would help whomever will be the new short stop

Good post..I say trade Moe too. I just seriously doubt we could net anything that would help our team for him.

I think Valdez could win more games than Moe right now.

859594[/snapback]

Your laughable if you don't think, in the very least, Moehler would net us a solid relief pitcher. Many teams don't have that guy who you know, for the most part, will come in every start and keep your team in the game.

Good post..I say trade Moe too. I just seriously doubt we could net anything that would help our team for him.

859594[/snapback]

Your laughable if you don't think, in the very least, Moehler would net us a solid relief pitcher. Many teams don't have that guy who you know, for the most part, will come in every start and keep your team in the game.

859647[/snapback]

I'm the camp that says Moehler is a very valuable commodity for the right team, and although I don't think he should be traded, to further the debate being started in this thread, if he were, I have no doubt Benifest would have no problem getting a quality reliever in exchange. As for who is more valuable in 2005 to the Fish, Valdez or Moehler, it's way too early to determine that, at least not untill Valdez gets a few starts under his belt.

To Beinfest4Prez - Why do you have to use phrasing like "Your laughable if you think", can't you just disagree or offer offer an alterative point of view without the use of a put down? It doesn't make your POV any stronger, it doesn't add anything to the dialogue, all it does is up the chances this set of posts will turn into yet another name-calling, ugly thread.

859594[/snapback]

859647[/snapback]

To Beinfest4Prez - Why do you have to use phrasing like "Your laughable if you think", can't you just disagree or offer offer an alterative point of view without the use of a put down? It doesn't make your POV any stronger, it doesn't add anything to the dialogue, all it does is up the chances this set of posts will turn into yet another name-calling, ugly thread.

859660[/snapback]

Yes, I know I was putting it down, but even you know that his opinion that Moehler would net us nothing in today's market, is downright absurd.