"Orioles take hard look at Burnett deal"

Orioles take hard look at Burnett deal

Money owed to Lowell remains a sticking point; Club exploring other options

By Jeff Zrebiec and Dan Connolly

Sun Staff

Originally published July 20, 2005, 10:25 PM EDT

MINNEAPOLIS - While other teams have reportedly entered the mix in trade talks with Florida involving pitcher A.J. Burnett, the Orioles remain resolute that the Marlins pick up half of third baseman Mike Lowell's contract, and even that may not be enough.

One club source said that if even Florida absorbs about $10 million of the approximately $21 million due to Lowell over the next 2 1/2 seasons, the Orioles would still "have to look very hard" at making the deal, which has Burnett, the No. 1 starter that they so covet, as the centerpiece.

Another club official described the potential of the deal, which would send pitching prospect Hayden Penn, outfielder Admin Bigbie and reliever Jorge Julio to the Marlins for Burnett, Lowell and a prospect, as "iffy," and said not everyone in the organization is sold on Burnett. The 28-year-old pitcher has never won more than 12 games in a season and has already made four stops on the disabled list.

And Burnett, who will be a free agent after this season, also is reportedly looking for a contract that would eclipse the 4-year, $40 million deal that former teammate, Carl Pavano, signed with the Yankees. The Orioles have contacted the league about the specifics of getting a negotiating window with Burnett, but they have not put in an official request for the 72-hour window, said an industry source.

"Not all of us are that excited about the deal," said a member of the organization. "We think Burnett's a bit of a reach. He can help us, but you don't want to mortgage the farm. If we're giving up a lot of guys, you'd rather have more of a sure thing.'

According to a club source, the Orioles have also contacted the Dodgers about Jeff Weaver and the Giants about their ace, Jason Schmidt. The source said the club has discussed bringing up 24-year-old right-hander John Maine, who is 6-7 with a 4.25 ERA for Triple-A Ottawa, and sending the struggling Sidney Ponson to the bullpen.

The Marlins are also talking to other suitors. One possibility would be a three-way trade in which Boston third baseman Bill Mueller and prospects would go to Minnesota for reliever J.C. Romero and starter Joe Mays; the Red Sox would then trade Mays and starter Bronson Arroyo to Florida for Burnett and Lowell. However, Lowell's contract is also an issue in that deal and Florida is lukewarm on Mays, sources say.

"Things are not quiet," Admin Beinfest, Florida's general manager, told Marlins beat reporters before the Marlins game against Arizona Wednesday night. "There is a lot of activity in the marketplace. There are a lot of phone conversations."

Sun staff writer Roch Kubatko contributed to this article.

The source said the club has discussed bringing up 24-year-old right-hander John Maine, who is 6-7 with a 4.25 ERA for Triple-A Ottawa, and sending the struggling Sidney Ponson to the bullpen.

Hell yes! While Maine is no Burnett, he is good enough to start in the bigs. The O's should still try to get Weavy though.

Maine, Cabrera, and Bedard are an awesome young trio.

Well, this is pretty ridiculous.

Bill Mueller gets you Joe Mays and JC Romero

AJ and Lowell get you Joe Mays and Arroyo?

That makes a lot of sense.

868199[/snapback]

We don't know if Burnett is going to sign an extension or not. If not it significantly lowers Burnetts value doesn't it?

Just something to keep in mind but I do see what you are saying.

Well, this is pretty ridiculous.

Bill Mueller gets you Joe Mays and JC Romero

AJ and Lowell get you Joe Mays and Arroyo?

That makes a lot of sense.

868199[/snapback]

We don't know if Burnett is going to sign an extension or not. If not it significantly lowers Burnetts value doesn't it?

Just something to keep in mind but I do see what you are saying.

868247[/snapback]

Yes it would lower his value, but...

If we obtain Joe Mays at $7.2M per season...then we are not exactly saving by tradingh away Lowell. If that's the case I'd rather have McCarthy, Marte and Anderson for AJ and not simply Arroyo.

I really doubt the White Sox are offerig us Marte or Contreras, Anderson and McCarthy for Burnett. If true and Beinfest doesn't make te deal he should be fired.

Anderson and McCarthy are 2 guys with alot of potential, young, and cheap for 3-4 years. While Contreras has alot of talent and next year will make 6 million which isn't that bad now and days(also last year and his a free agent). Marte is a proven dominating relief pitcher signed long term for a pretty good price. I can see the White Sox making this trade.

I do think they will make this trade.

Fish Get:

RHP Jose Contreras

RHP Brandon McCarthy

OF Brain Anderson

LHP Damaso Marte

Juan Urihe- throw in not needed

Sox Get:

RHP A.J Burnett

SS Alex Gonzalez

OF Eric Reed- throw in as well. not needed either to make this deal

The Orioles were just a waste of time.

"Oh sure we'll take on Lowell's contract."

"Actually, we kinda want you guy's to pay some of the contract"

"Okay, you guys pay half his contract or no deal."

"You guys gotta pay all of his contract and give us Miguel Cabrera or you don't get Admin Bigbie."

I really doubt the White Sox are offerig us Marte or Contreras, Anderson and McCarthy for Burnett. If true and Beinfest doesn't make te deal he should be fired.

Anderson and McCarthy are 2 guys with alot of potential, young, and cheap for 3-4 years. While Contreras has alot of talent and next year will make 6 million which isn't that bad now and days(also last year and his a free agent). Marte is a proven dominating relief pitcher signed long term for a pretty good price. I can see the White Sox making this trade.

I do think they will make this trade.

Fish Get:

RHP Jose Contreras

RHP Brandon McCarthy

OF Brain Anderson

LHP Damaso Marte

Juan Urihe- throw in not needed

Sox Get:

RHP A.J Burnett

SS Alex Gonzalez

OF Eric Reed- throw in as well. not needed either to make this deal

868380[/snapback]

Ok now you want to trade our gold glove calibre SS and replace him with Uribe? Uribe is good, but if thats the case we should keep Gonzo...and yall say my trade proposals are bad.

bah, the team is coming together better. Just run with them and pick up a relief pitcher if need be. If teams arent gonna give market value for AJ.

868622[/snapback]

You got it...if we don't get a good deal for AJ don't bother with it...I'd rather have AJ for the rest of the year and the draft picks when he signs elsewhere than a trade where we get screwed.

bah, the team is coming together better. Just run with them and pick up a relief pitcher if need be. If teams arent gonna give market value for AJ.

868622[/snapback]

You got it...if we don't get a good deal for AJ don't bother with it...I'd rather have AJ for the rest of the year and the draft picks when he signs elsewhere than a trade where we get screwed.

868666[/snapback]

i totally agree. i really think we need to get rid of lowell and keep AJ. as sad as i am to say it lowell really looks bad out there. even tho he is starting to pick it up he can barely get the ball outta the infield. something just aint right and now is the time to free up as much of his contract as possible.