THE BIG O

Boog Sciambi

>With Willis, Beckett, and Burnett pitching next against the Giants, expect that 7 ERA to go down.

868771[/snapback]

As far as Willis goes,there's three questions. One, will he get back on track after back to back woeful games? Two, will he shed is penchant for being an awful second half pitcher.And three, will he break his streak of poorly pitched games at SBC Park in SF? (See scouting report - he's allowed 11 runs in 6 innings in his last three starts). Maybe the Marlins can score 10 runs early and not have to worry about Dontrelle's performance.Then again,Tomko is 5-0 against them. Nevermind - Dontrelle needs to come thru.

>With Willis, Beckett, and Burnett pitching next against the Giants, expect that 7 ERA to go down.

868771[/snapback]

As far as Willis goes,there's three questions. One, will he get back on track after back to back woeful games? Two, will he shed is penchant for being an awful second half pitcher.And three, will he break his streak of poorly pitched games at SBC Park in SF? (See scouting report - he's allowed 11 runs in 6 innings in his last three starts). Maybe the Marlins can score 10 runs early and not have to worry about Dontrelle's performance.Then again,Tomko is 5-0 against them. Nevermind - Dontrelle needs to come thru.

869384[/snapback]

Yeah I remember Willis' last outing at SBC, remember as was 4am here, and was catching a plane. Marlins jumped out to quite a big lead, and he got shelled, hopefully he wont return to the Jeckell (sp) and Hyde of last year.

OFFENSE

during the month of july in 14 games the marlins have averaged 6.78 runs per game...this hasn't directly translated into wins but thats because the pitching staff has had an era of 7.14. thats yankee bad...

but certainly good news to see the marlins start to play their type of baseball, especially with jp wreaking havoc on the bases again.

868768[/snapback]

before the pitching was real good and the offense was inconsistent and now it's just visa versa

and if i could make ish my worst starter on a team i think i'd take him...

869257[/snapback]

Alfonseca is likely to improve the bullpen more than Valdez is the rotation

869267[/snapback]

i think the question to ask is, is ishmael valdez going to make our team better? if the answer is yes, then its good to have him back, if the answer is no, then we should take a look and see what our other options are...

i don't think he hurts us by being on our team, therefore, its worth it, especially if there is an injury or whatnot

869295[/snapback]

I think you might have misread the original post which you were responding to. It's not that Valdez is a good or bad starter, but what he adds to the team over what we currently have. Alfonseca is clearly better than Travis Smith and expected to improve the bullpen over the course of the season, but it's to not so clear if Valdez would do better than Olsen and/or Vargas.