THE BIG O

Boog Sciambi

OFFENSE

during the month of july in 14 games the marlins have averaged 6.78 runs per game...this hasn't directly translated into wins but thats because the pitching staff has had an era of 7.14. thats yankee bad...

but certainly good news to see the marlins start to play their type of baseball, especially with jp wreaking havoc on the bases again.

yeah def JP is the catalyst. stifles opposing pitchers when he is on base. the sad thing is the only person who really isnt performing still is mike lowell. his bat looks like its lost weight. he has been performing better as of late but it really looks like he is struggling to even get the ball into the outfield. box score from last night is depressing when you look at his line. only person without a hit.

Mike didnt have a hit but he had a couple good key at-bats and a great sac fly before the score had broken out to a 7-run lead...meaning, he might not be hitting homeruns but he is showing more control of his bat and doing whatever needs to be done...I'll take a good sac fly over a straight infield popup or a cheap groundball or a strikeout...damn box scores, they never tell u the full story...somebody needs to start adding astericks in there...let Tommy do it...

Guest Juanky

Juanpy is hot, Luiy and Mikey are getting on base, Carlos and Miguelito are having their own personal home run contest every game, and Enc is driving in everyone in sight. Even Alex is getting in on the fun.

We do have a 7.14 ERA, but the last two days we've held the DBack offense in check and look at the result :thumbup

Mike didnt have a hit but he had a couple good key at-bats and a great sac fly before the score had broken out to a 7-run lead...meaning, he might not be hitting homeruns but he is showing more control of his bat and doing whatever needs to be done...I'll take a good sac fly over a straight infield popup or a cheap groundball or a strikeout...damn box scores, they never tell u the full story...somebody needs to start adding astericks in there...let Tommy do it...

868799[/snapback]

yeah he did have a key sac fly no doubt. im really concerned at his lack of bat speed and power.

JP is the key to this as Matteao has stated. I kept saying he is a second half player. I am glad he is proving that to folks now. JP Is back let the offense start to play :)

868789[/snapback]

yeah def JP is the catalyst. stifles opposing pitchers when he is on base. the sad thing is the only person who really isnt performing still is mike lowell. his bat looks like its lost weight. he has been performing better as of late but it really looks like he is struggling to even get the ball into the outfield. box score from last night is depressing when you look at his line. only person without a hit.

868792[/snapback]

you guys hit it... when jp and luis get on base, the marlins win...i don't have the stat but its true, jp's average is steadily going up and i would think that things have to be looking up

this is more like what we envisioned when we looked at this offense on paper in the preseason. :hat

868830[/snapback]

:thumbup You got that right, I think the whole key is the fact that not only is JP getting on again but he is also stealing bases. Also it seems that Lowell dosnet seem as lost up there anymore, like Jack said the only thing this team needs is for the pitching and hitting to be consistent together and last two nights they both have looked really good.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

Wonderful job by our batting coach. Robby has the hitters focused and performing. Special kudos to his two "pet projects" - Encarnacion & Gonzalez - they are performing much better than expected.

Keep up the good work Bill.

:thumbup

868788[/snapback]

a marlinsbaseball.com first -- kind words for bill robinson

If the rotation gets back on track we might have the division lead by mid August

868890[/snapback]

The pen is just as faulty.

869199[/snapback]

Perhaps, but

1. The other parts of a team influence relief pitching more than the other way around. Consider that today is the first day off since the break and the rotation has not been going many innings.

2. Alfonseca is coming back and would be one of our better arms in the 'pen, Valdez is coming back and would be one of our worst starters.

JP is the key to this as Matteao has stated. I kept saying he is a second half player. I am glad he is proving that to folks now. JP Is back let the offense start to play :)

868789[/snapback]

868792[/snapback]

you guys hit it... when jp and luis get on base, the marlins win...i don't have the stat but its true, jp's average is steadily going up and i would think that things have to be looking up

868906[/snapback]

no doubt! finally got to move JP off my fantasy bench :)

and everyone though robinson was worthless. we sing a different tune now.

regardless we have been sleepwalking through the last 10 weeks of the season. if we ever wake up and figure it out, we win the east going away. provided it doesnt take us until september to figure it out.

Wonderful job by our batting coach. Robby has the hitters focused and performing. Special kudos to his two "pet projects" - Encarnacion & Gonzalez - they are performing much better than expected.

Keep up the good work Bill.

:thumbup

868788[/snapback]

a marlinsbaseball.com first -- kind words for bill robinson

869206[/snapback]

:ban

and if i could make ish my worst starter on a team i think i'd take him...

and if i could make ish my worst starter on a team i think i'd take him...

869257[/snapback]

Alfonseca is likely to improve the bullpen more than Valdez is the rotation

869267[/snapback]

i think the question to ask is, is ishmael valdez going to make our team better? if the answer is yes, then its good to have him back, if the answer is no, then we should take a look and see what our other options are...

i don't think he hurts us by being on our team, therefore, its worth it, especially if there is an injury or whatnot

maybe the reason alot of this trade talk has been backed off a bit...i would like to see a relief pitcher and a big bat come back for Aj, whether that happen in 1 or 2 trades...but i love a rotation of beckett, willis, moehler, olsen and vargas/valdez, i was really impressed with the southpaw rookies so far and i think they need to start and not be bullshitted in the bullpen...the one big bat i would like to see is Dunn...come on beinfest, if you are reading this, make it happen...that would give us a sick team...and being from mass...i wicked like our chances with that kind of a roster...DO IT DO IT...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.