I learned something interesting

The Marlin Man

I met a kid last night at my friends 21st bday fiesta who pitched in college. He told me something that I had never thought of and am wondering how widely used it is.

when he bats, he doesn't use batting gloves so that the pine tar from the bats gets on his hands. Then when people ask him why he doesn't use batting gloves he just says "cause i'm hard core" and laughs it off. he says it makes the ball do filthy things

i've herad of using pine tar to doctor pitches but i never thought of getting pine tar on your hands by not using gloves when you swing. that way you have nothing on you, well, except on your hands, haha

have you guys ever heard of anyone doing this?

:lol yeah..

unless they use wooden..

869921[/snapback]

They don't use wooden bats in college, which makes it likely that he's talking out of his ass.

869941[/snapback]

anyway, i was wasted and stoned while talking to him, i assumed his story is from college, but it is probably from the Mens league he is in. He said he played DIII ball in college for a year but didnt like the comittment. so a few years passed and now he's working and in a recreational but competitve mens league in mass

and i assume they use wooden bats there.......so anyway, back to the point of the topic. has anyone ever heard of a situation like this happening?

and share other stories about unique ways to gain a "competitive edge"

wow, you're right, Admin

i'm the moron, my bad.

I thought i was being accused of lying and thats why i reacted like that....that is my biggest pet peve(sp)....when someone tells me I'm lying and i'm not.

any way, i'm an idiot, my B

870028[/snapback]

Don't sweat it.

unless they use wooden..

869921[/snapback]

They don't use wooden bats in college, which makes it likely that he's talking out of his ass.

869941[/snapback]

Actually there are some lower divisions in college and Other divisions in high school baseball that are switching to Wood bats beacuse of the dangers of Aluminum. i read the story in ESPN the mag. I never really understood why you use aluminum bats all the way up to the pros and then switch to wood. I think that would mess you up.

unless they use wooden..

869921[/snapback]

869941[/snapback]

Actually there are some lower divisions in college and Other divisions in high school baseball that are switching to Wood bats beacuse of the dangers of Aluminum. i read the story in ESPN the mag. I never really understood why you use aluminum bats all the way up to the pros and then switch to wood. I think that would mess you up.

872704[/snapback]

I can swing a wooden bat really easily, so I would actually be kinda happy if they did this..

unless they use wooden..

869921[/snapback]

869941[/snapback]

yeah, that and theres a DH in college

869950[/snapback]

Jason Vargas led his college team in batting average.

So either the pitcher does hit, or they put him in the DH slot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.