Bush Called for Jury Duty in Texas

Everlong204

WACO, Texas -

President Bush could get a new title: juror No. 286. Someday, but not Monday, when he was summoned for jury duty.

The president was among 600 potential jurors summoned to report to court in McLennan County, where his 1,600-acre Crawford ranch is located.

State District Judge Ralph Strother told the Waco Tribune-Herald he expected to get a response about the summons but didn't expect Bush to report for duty.

"I don't think I'll be sending the sheriff out to bring the president in," said Strother, a Republican who has a grandson serving in

Iraq. "It seems to me that the president has plenty of things to occupy his attention. Jury duty is a very important civic function, but running the country, I think, especially in wartime, takes priority over jury service."

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Thursday that the president intends to serve, just not on Monday. The president hadn't received the summons, but the White House reached out to the court after media accounts surfaced and was informed that the summons was for Monday, McClellan.

"We have since called the court to inform them that the president has other commitments on Monday and that he would like to reschedule his jury duty," he said. "We will be working with the court to reschedule his jury duty. ... Jury duty is an important civic responsibility and it's important that people do serve."

Although Bush won't serve this time, his Democratic rival in the 2004 election served on a Massachusetts jury last month. Kerry not only served, but was elected foreman of the Suffolk Superior Court jury, which rejected a claim by two men who sued the city of Boston for injuries suffered in a car accident involving a school principal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051201/ap_on_.../bush_jury_duty

"It seems to me that the president has plenty of things to occupy his attention. Jury duty is a very important civic function, but running the country, I think, especially in wartime, takes priority over jury service."

Eh, if you want to call this 'wartime', then I don't recall a peaceful moment in our history.

"It seems to me that the president has plenty of things to occupy his attention. Jury duty is a very important civic function, but running the country, I think, especially in wartime, takes priority over jury service."

Eh, if you want to call this 'wartime', then I don't recall a peaceful moment in our history.

Yeah, 180,000 troops fighting overseas on foreign soil isn't a war or anything :plain.

Yeah, 180,000 troops fighting overseas on foreign soil isn't a war or anything :plain.

Running the country in wartime. What the f*ck is Bush doing to help the 'wartime' issue right now? Nothing, he might as well judge a rape or somethign.

Running the country in wartime. What the f*ck is Bush doing to help the 'wartime' issue right now? Nothing, he might as well judge a rape or somethign.

Way to go off on a seperate tangent and avoid what I said above :thumbup .

Way to go off on a seperate tangent and avoid what I said above :thumbup .

I don't see how I avoided what you said, but ok. I really don't feel like arguing about something like this.