Yankees trade Womack to Reds

MrAndMrsFish

DALLAS … (AP) … The New York Yankees traded Tony Womack to the Cincinnati Reds on Thursday, getting rid of the second

baseman-turned-outfielder just one season after signing him.

The trade was to be announced later Thursday, a high-ranking baseball official said, speaking on condition of

anonymity because the teams had not publicly confirmed the swap. It was not immediately known what the Yankees were

getting in return.

Womack hit .307 to help St. Louis win the NL pennant in 2004, then became a free agent and signed a $4 million,

two-year contract with the Yankees.

He was their starting second baseman for the first month of the season, but lost his job when the Yankees brought up

rookie Robinson Cano. Womack wound up playing just 24 games in second and was shifted to the outfield, where he appeared

40 times in left, 22 in center and four in right.

Womack wound up batting just .249 with 15 RBIs and 27 steals. He didn't get an at-bat during New York's five-game

loss to the Los Angeles Angels in the first round of the playoffs.

I kind of like the move, but it seems like many Reds fans do not. Womack is one year removed from an all-star season and one of the best seasons in his career. Then, he went to New York last year, which isn't the easiest place ot play to begin with, and he was moved around between 2B and OF all year long. Not really a good chance to do well in that situation. He is in a contract year, and if he doesn't preform well his career could be over. He is going to work his butt of this year. Now, if we bring RA back, my thoughts will do a complete 180 on this trade. If we sepnd Casey's freed up money on Womack and RA I will be pissed!

We could have done much worse then Womack. Playing in Cincy will do his stats wonders.

I kind of like the move, but it seems like many Reds fans do not. Womack is one year removed from an all-star season and one of the best seasons in his career. Then, he went to New York last year, which isn't the easiest place ot play to begin with, and he was moved around between 2B and OF all year long. Not really a good chance to do well in that situation. He is in a contract year, and if he doesn't preform well his career could be over. He is going to work his butt of this year. Now, if we bring RA back, my thoughts will do a complete 180 on this trade. If we sepnd Casey's freed up money on Womack and RA I will be pissed!

We could have done much worse then Womack. Playing in Cincy will do his stats wonders.

Tony W'out'mack is terrible. You can hope, dream and talk about how motivated he is going to be - but that doesn't change the fact that he is terrible. Period.

Tony W'out'mack is terrible. You can hope, dream and talk about how motivated he is going to be - but that doesn't change the fact that he is terrible. Period.

One bad year makes him awful?

Oh my God I just scared myself. I am starting to sound like Fish fans talking about Lowell.

One bad year makes him awful?

Oh my God I just scared myself. I am starting to sound like Fish fans talking about Lowell.

He is awful, you'll see for yourself soon enough.